New Member & New Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackedup

Reaction score
Would like to start off with a howdy to everyone on the forum. Been lurking around for a little while and decided to join. Also just got a new toy for myself this Christmas. A new Stihl MS361. I've always had and used saws, but this is my first real saw. Usually just cutting firewood to heat the garage through the winter when needed. This year I have a wood burner for the house also and need a little more wood. My old saw, and don't laugh, a Poulan 18" Wild Thing saw. It's a good saw, but hard to start most of the time and takes forever to cut decent sized logs. It did the job for what I needed. Now with the additional wood needed I decided to finally break down and buy a good one. My cousins work with a logging company, and I have always helped them get firewood through the winter, but using their saws for most of the cutting. After talking with them for awhile about buying myself a better one and asking about maybe a farm boss, 310, or 390, they all suggested I go with a pro model saw if I could afford it. I ended up with the 361. Now I can bring my own saw for cutting. I'm thinking about putting a 15 or 16" bar on the Wild Thing and using it more for limbing and small cut jobs.

Don't know if this forum is the same as most, but just in case it is, here is the pics to maintain my mancard. Look forward to learning and talking here. Merry Christmas to you all and have a safe happy New Year.
43119_100_1054_1.jpg

43119_100_1056_1.jpg

43119_100_1057_1.jpg

Welcome to AS man!! :cheers:

You'll fit right in around here - shoot, you already know to post up pics - and on your first post too!! LOL

Congrats on the new saw - I see your WildThingy getting rather lonely in the very near future!! :laugh:

Welcome to AS. I was also looking at a 390 for my first saw but after talking to a few friends that are experienced cutters I took their advice and went with the 361. I am very happy with my purchase.

I have a problem with leaving things stock and the thing I love about this saw the most is mod potential. I added the 3/4 wrap kit, got a 25" B&C and just had the muffler ported.

I just talked a friend into getting a 362, he used mine and really liked it but since the 361 is no longer in production he went with the 362. We just got hit with 20" of snow here so we haven't been able to do any real cutting yet but from what we have done thus far he is very pleased with the saw.

Welcome to AS. Don't worry about the Wild thing there is a lot of us that have had them. That ms361 is cherry! Follow this site long enough then next thing you know ,you are bored one day then next thing you know your saw is in the bench being muff modded or ported!

Bubbles.

velocome

velcome

may the torture of CAD may be your christmas gift:givebeer:
non a stock 361 is ok just need to put a 3/4 wrap and west coast dawgs and a full skip chain:givebeer:

:givebeer:

the first mod is mandetory and free, muffler modd it.

i recomend opening up the factory outlet but many here choose the lakeside modd instead. either way mod the muffler first

Nice looking saw. Just got to go get it dirty.

I see that you either know about Stihl chains or you have a good dealer. Didn't get stuck with the RSC3 for a first chain.

it wouldnt be that bad to be stuck with rsc3 i couldnt tell the difrenct between it and a non safety rsc chain

Welcome aboard,

So what saw are you getting next?:dizzy:I'm still on my 1st,but I'm a noob so I'm still learning.
DON

Thanks for the warm welcome all.
smiley-hug002.gif

I have been lurking around just enough already to learn that a muffler mod will probably be the first. It may not happen until this summer, but it will. Right now I'm just going to get used to it, break it in, and have fun with it.

catman963
I see your WildThingy getting rather lonely in the very near future!!
Some reason I think your probably right.
Donley
Now join the 361 owners club and you'll be in there.
Not sure how to join the owners club?
Echo6 Sierra
I have a problem with leaving things stock and the thing I love about this saw the most is mod potential. I added the 3/4 wrap kit, got a 25" B&C and just had the muffler ported.
Sweet looking rig.
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

alderman
Gonna be hard to upgrade after starting out with the 361.
That's what I'm thinking. It's part of the reason I bought this model. Cousins suggested it, and basically said it will do anything I need to do with it, and last me for quite some time.
slowp
I think it needs some Barbie and glitter stickers on it. That way it is less apt to get borrowed. Although that has not deterred guys so far with my Twinkle.
smiley-laughing013.gif
Not sure about doing that to it. I seen some of those pics, may have been yours. Very, well, sparkly.
aandabooks
I see that you either know about Stihl chains or you have a good dealer. Didn't get stuck with the RSC3 for a first chain.
Dealer hooked me up with the chain before I could even tell him. Threw in an extra also. Good man.
BIG BEAM
So what saw are you getting next? I'm still on my 1st,but I'm a noob so I'm still learning.
I may be done as far as upgrading. I really don't need anything any bigger for what I do. If I do need something bigger, I'll borrow or have my cousin bring his 80 some cc Husky. I ran it once and that thing scared me a little.
smiley-laughing014.gif
smiley-ashamed008.gif

Hell I ran a friends 372 once and it was a bit much.I have a 346 and think thats enough saw for me.Good luck with your 361.
DON

Back