New member, new to saws & need one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slovcan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

New member here (north of 49 in BC - barely). I see a new to me chainsaw in the near future. Oh yeah, never used a chainsaw before. I have operated big and small cars/trucks, big and small bikes (still do) and big boats (relative to a canoe). I do practice ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time).

I've decided to go used in great condition rather than a new, plastic, cost-saving to boost profits and satisfy the EPA model. As such, I've been studying and gathering tech info and opinions. Yup, enjoying the Chevy vs Ford, Stihl vs Husky rivalry!

BUT, I think I want a Dolmar PS-5100s. I almost had one today. I am PISSED that I didn't get it. I had the winning eBay bid and it WOULD NOT go through. Someone got it for $200 (with a new piston and ring).

I expect to be cutting up a few cords of beech and oak every year for the foreseeable future (after having it delivered). I think I'll be doing mostly gang cutting so will want an 18-20" bar and the power to go through maybe six 8-12" logs at a time.

I do my own maintenance & repairs - have done all my life.

Well, Dolmars are scarce, so now I have a Stihl 034 AV, Husky 450 Rancher, Makita DCS520i (Dolmar, I like this one), Stihl MS270, Husky 61 and a Husky 51 on my watch list.

Edit: I also inquired about an unused Husky 455 Rancher locally.

I know, too many options. I need your help. Are any of these poor choices because they're too old (parts availability?), poor reliability track record, fragile traits, wrong colour?

Cheers,
Glenn

Glen BE CAREFUL if you decide to buy anything used from a guy named Kris in Victoria. Chances are parts of the saw were "bought" here and never paid for or the saw was sold to someone, paid for and never shipped.

There is a real nice 550XP up for sale here that I would take a serious look at. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/husqvarna-550xp.265578/

+1 on the 550 i bought mine from him, he has sold many 550's here and never a problem and great to deal with.

Although the husky 455 is a decent saw I would steer clear of it and the 450.the ms270 has its problems too.I do like the ms270 and 280 much better though but they don't stand up to much abuse.

You never stated what your intended use for the saw was. That would help tremendously.

Saws to look for in the 50-60cc class.
Echo CS590
Stihl 026/260
Stihl 361/362
Husky 550xp/545
Husky 555/562xp
Husky 55
Husky 346xp
Jonsered 2252/2253 (Same as Husky 550/545)
Jonsered 2153

I know there are a bunch more that I can't remember.

You could for sure pick up a nice 026/MS260 in the 200 dollar range.. Just about all the other saws on that list will run you more than that.

Being the echo trouble maker I am......lol if you can spend over $200 look into the echo CS590.pro grade saw for around $400US new.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the suggestions. Nobody thinks the PS-5100s or DCS520i would be good choices? The 550XP looks good in the Trading Post, but breaks my budget. Still worth considering, but it'll likely sell fast to somebody else while I wonder where I'll get the extra hundred today.

Although the husky 455 is a decent saw I would steer clear of it and the 450.the ms270 has its problems too.I do like the ms270 and 280 much better though but they don't stand up to much abuse.

Jughead500, this surprises me. Anything specific that flags these models?

Stihl 034 AV, Husky 450 Rancher, Makita DCS520i (Dolmar, I like this one), Stihl MS270, Husky 61 and a Husky 51 on my watch list.

Does anybody know anything about or have an opinion on the Stihl 034 AV, Makita DCS520i or Husky 61?

I expect to be cutting up a few cords of beech and oak every year for the foreseeable future (after having it delivered). I think I'll be doing mostly gang cutting so will want an 18-20" bar and the power to go through maybe six 8-12" logs at a time.

Where we might be going the wood is delivered in 1 or 1.5 meter lengths (3-4 feet). The truck would drop our 3 or 4 cords in the yard. The most common way to cut it to stove length there is with a big electric table saw set-up. I want to cut it faster using a sawbuck that I can drop/stack 5 or 6 "logs" in at a time. I figure I'll need a pretty strong saw 50-60cc class with an 18-20" bar. I want it to be heavy enough that gravity helps, but not so heavy that it beats me up when using it all day. I wouldn't be in any big hurry to get it all cut. I was thinking 11-13 lbs would be about right.

I don't foresee doing any other sort of regular cutting with this saw. I may take down a few old fruit trees and do a little limbing on a few others, but nothing big or long term. I don't know what else to say to describe the intended use.

Cheers,
Glenn

Iron worker says:
For $200 you should do good right here in the trading post.

* I wish that were true. I've spent 3 months here looking for a saw that has over 50cc for the power to handle a 20 -24 inch bar. So far all the saws here <that fit that bill> are well over $400.
I'm not poo-pooing the fine saws available on this forum. There are some real beasts in here. Some big saws too, but $200 won't get a 50cc saw unless it's a project or parts unit.
I almost decided to get a 90cc monster from another very well respected member. His saw was truly a remarkable buy and I was drooling over it something fierce, but I had to reconsider since it was an older saw and parts availability will soon become an issue. I need a saw that will work for me now and for many years to come.

Iron worker says:
For $200 you should do good right here in the trading post.

* I wish that were true. I've spent 3 months here looking for a saw that has over 50cc for the power to handle a 20 -24 inch bar. So far all the saws here <that fit that bill> are well over $400.
I'm not poo-pooing the fine saws available on this forum. There are some real beasts in here. Some big saws too, but $200 won't get a 50cc saw unless it's a project or parts unit.
I almost decided to get a 90cc monster from another very well respected member. His saw was truly a remarkable buy and I was drooling over it something fierce, but I had to reconsider since it was an older saw and parts availability will soon become an issue. I need a saw that will work for me now and for many years to come.

There was a nice poulan 245 just awhile ago in the tradin post for fair/cheap. 74CCs.

As for 200$ and 50 CCs, dang, brand new poulan 5020, available all over and off amazon and ebay. All the guys here who got one like it. I'd take one of those over a similar size rancher or farmboss, and pocket the difference for chains/bar oil/ mix oil and gas.

edit: I just looked on amazon, $184 with case, free shipping for a pp5020av

Nothing like a little challenge to bring out some good information. :)
I've only heard positive feedback on Poulan saws here. I've heard plenty of negative feedback elsewhere. Specifically "Never buy a Poulan. All you do is 'pull on 'em'
A little trip to Wiki tells me Poulan is owned by Husqvarna. Hmmmmm. Interesting.
Still, the 5020 is a 50cc saw, (as you stated) and I am looking for *over* 50cc's.
Stihls and Husky's have huge followings here. It's almost like Honda and Harley owners fighting over which bike is the best. (big grin)
I'll just continue my search now..

No flags on the echo's.just a little less horsepower and speed than husky or still because of epa restrictions.have nothing but good things to say about my cs600p which is basically the same saw as the 590 only with an aluminum handle bar and replaceable sprocket.
Not saying the dolmars or makitas are bad.to me the echos are the best deal going right now.

Couple other questions then... are you good at working on saws? I'll take it the answer is no, since you haven't used a saw before. I only started using saws in 2013, and have since rebuilt 15-18 saws (i forget how many now). I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, not by a longshot, but it seems to make that you are asking too much of your budget. At what point did you conclude that $200 for a reliable, sturdy, 50cc+ maintanence free saw was reasonable? In fact, since there is no such thing as a maintanence free saw, you'll likely need one w/ a warrantee, bought through a dealer. I'm all for learning, taking things appart, playing parts darts, etc... but at some point its not a matter of searching hard enough for what you want at the price you want... its a matter of unreasonableness of the budget for your needs. Personally, based on what you said in the OP, I think a 455 rancher is your ticket. Some people run them for YEARS trouble free, others have no end of issues. Good news is, parts are EVERYWHERE and they are easy to repair.... recently I found a really nice one at a pawn shop for $200... but if you aren't experienced w/ saws (like I wasn't) then you don't know what to look for and you are liable to lose your $200 budget entirely to a saw that isn't useful, or something that suddenly becomes useless.

Anyone around you that you can try out some saws and see what works for you? Best to get a few saws in your hands and see what fits your style... never a bad thing to try out a bunch of saws.

Best of luck whatever you do.

Thanks for all your replies so far, guys. Still looking, reading and learning.

Mattyo, you make too many assumptions. Whatever gave you the idea I wanted maintenance free? Or couldn't work on a saw?

I have operated big and small cars/trucks, big and small bikes (still do) and big boats (relative to a canoe).

I do my own maintenance & repairs - have done all my life.

To expand a bit, I have worked on, maintained, rebuilt or built or some combination thereof - cars, motorcycles, race cars and airplanes. I'm pretty sure I can maintain and repair a chainsaw.

I did say or imply, at leas, that I was looking at good quality used to avoid too much plastic.
I've decided to go used in great condition rather than a new, plastic, cost-saving to boost profits and satisfy the EPA model.

If my budget must be adjusted for the right package, so be it.

Thanks again, guys. Now, back to the Tradin' Post.

Cheers,
Glenn

Nothing like a little challenge to bring out some good information. :)
I've only heard positive feedback on Poulan saws here. I've heard plenty of negative feedback elsewhere. Specifically "Never buy a Poulan. All you do is 'pull on 'em'
A little trip to Wiki tells me Poulan is owned by Husqvarna. Hmmmmm. Interesting.
Still, the 5020 is a 50cc saw, (as you stated) and I am looking for *over* 50cc's.
Stihls and Husky's have huge followings here. It's almost like Honda and Harley owners fighting over which bike is the best. (big grin)
I'll just continue my search now..

Older thread on the tradin post, don't know if they are still for sale

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-245-and-306.264251/

ok,,, since no one will say it then I will,,,,,, your a new member and need ONE,,,,, ok,, find a stump and bend over:):)

Forgive me for assuming too much. I work on my car all the time, and to be honest, small engines are a different animal. Wish they weren't some times. I still think your best bet is a 455 rancher... it has some power and I have mine outfitted w/ 20" bars. Went through a bunch of ash and maple this summer w/o trouble. Parts are everywhere. You can "potentially" find it in your budget. I've bought plenty of used saws and its amazing how $50 dissappears suddenly into them... plugs, air filter, fuel filter, new line, new chain etc etc.. again, best of luck.

OP "Thanks for the suggestions. Nobody thinks the PS-5100s or DCS520i would be good choices?" I can't speak to those Dolmars directly but I have a used Mak 6421 I changed the muffler on and retuned and a used Dolmar 510...the supposed tuned-down version of the 50cc 5105. All I can say is my 510 is probably the easiest starting saw I've every used. Most simple 3-position lever used on any saw I've had...no bulbs, no compression release. Up..two/three pulls...down start and hit the throttle...down again, off. This saw has cut everything in it's path...20" and under. Starts hot in one pull. I treat it nice w/syn at 45:1. 18", 3/8 F chisel...rim sprocket. Very strong and way better than my older Stilh MS310...which I dearly liked....If I didn't have this one I'd go out and find one. Had nothing but good running out of my Dolmars. Problem most have is no close-by dealer, but parts are available on-line if you do some of your own work...Like both my saws and no reason to change as long as they perform. I like em all just haven't tried em all yet. I'm good w/what I have for now. Only thing I've ever heard about the 5100 is that it needs to be tuned correctly and run at 13,800 instead of 14,500 like some of the first, problematic ones seem to have been... but I could be corrected on this by someone more knowledgable. Just thought I'd pass on that if you like them you're not alone here...

Thank you again, guys. I'm sticking around. Good online forums become "family and friends" places. I tend to stay with them long term and help out when I can.

Mattyo, no harm, no foul. The Husky 55 types are definitely in the running. Waiting to hear from a guy locally on one, too.

Bingo, thank you! The Dolmar/Makita line are still at the top of my list - right alongside Husky. Stihl, too, but maybe just a fraction of a hair's width below and I DON'T KNOW WHY THAT IS.

Chris, I was trying to stay within these 3 brands due to the (maybe) new place being on the Husky, Stihl, Dolmar continent, but further east.

Back to the Tradin' Post...

Cheers,
Glenn

Latest posts

Back