New member, new to saws & need one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

I've answered a couple of local CL ads (most interesting was a 365S), but no replies. I am watching some on eBay. Here is one I'd like your opinion on:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221589010338?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I asked him about the compression and bar/chain condition. He replied the bar/chain are no new, but not scrap, either. That's OK anyway as they're consumables. But, he said he has no way to check the compression, but it starts and runs with little effort. Seems to me it would anyway even with lower compression, but not be as strong in wood as it should be.

I know there is a member here selling an 036 Pro at $425 asking. That is very interesting but over the top of my budget especially when I add shipping cost. It's also heavier than the 034 Super, isn't it?

Duke(?) also has (had?) a 365 for the right price. That one might be the right answer for me.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Glenn

365s are real decent saws.

Hey fellas, thinks for being patient and educating me. I'll be a lot more satisfied with whatever I buy now than I would have been last week. Still pissed off that I missed that PS-5100s, though. I'm thinking the 365 Special (if I can get one) or that 034 Super would be perfect.

Zogger, thanks for the 365 vote.

CTYank, I know, lots to learn. I do learn best by taking stuff apart and seeing it on a bench, though.

I am watching a Makita DCS 6421 on eBay, too, but it's over $300 now and I suspect going up a ways yet.

Cheers,
Glenn

Hey guys,

Can somebody tell me what years the Stihl 036 Pro was made please? I don't have the serial number and the UL sticker is no longer on the handle.

Thanks,
Glenn

Check Baileys and see if they have anymore of the Jonsered 2152's left. They were closing them out at a really nice price a while ago. If you are looking now to spend $400 on a 50cc saw you are now getting closer to what you could find some NOS saws for.

People have mentioned the Poulan 2050 to you. I ran one of those that was tuned right and those saws are the real deal. I haven't checked ebay for a while but there was a guy selling that saw in Craftsmans colors remanufactured at auction prices. My guess is some of those saws were bought to cut up a tree and returned to Sears on the Sears loanasaw program. I got my last push mower on the Sears loanamower resale clearance and the mower was essentially new with some grass in the shute. I saved a bundle on it.

Another good cheap saw is the 350 Husky. I cut a lot of wood with a 2150 Jonsered which is the same saw only red. I'd take one of those over a 455 because they rev higher and are much lighter than the 455.

Since you are saying you are partial to off brands (Dolmar/Makita), Keep an eye out for any Shindiawa, or Efco saws. They are just as dependable as the big 3 and parts can be gotten on-line easily. I have a bud selling a like new Cub Cadet 56cc for $250 with an extra 16 inch bar and an extra 20 inch chain. That's the same as an Efco CS56 but labled as a Cub Cadet to sell at Tractor Supply stores. They are real nice saws with mag cases.

Tou have many options and if you wait and pick and choose you will end up with a nice saw,

I just checked Baileys and they have the Jonsered 2152 for $469. That's an excellent saw for a great price. That's the same saw as a Husky 353. The only problem with the 353/2152, is they are not a 346/2153.

Stay away from ebay, just my opinion. The tradin post here is awesome.

No weight difference to speak of in the 034 Super and 036, they're the same saw. My 036 Pro was a little faster than my Makita 6401(64cc) but this was a hard call, very negligible difference if any. The 036 would bog if I pushed hard enough(I had to push hard) but you'd not push it that hard under normal use. In the same log, the 6401 wouldn't bog, very torqey saw. The 6401 can be had for under 300. 036s sell around 400. I sold my 6401 cuz my Stihl 440 weighs the same and is in the 70cc class. BUT, the 6401 can be upgraded to a 79cc saw as the larger Dolmar top end bolts on. This makes the 6401 a VERY good option in my opinion. Good luck with the search!

Always learning. I think when I started here, I was leaning toward a great saw that was too small for what its primary job would be. I have been reminded again that there's no replacement for displacement. So I upped my budget a bit to try for the 60-70cc class.

Yes Brett ebay is evil ;-) . The 034 Super & 036 Pro ended up being too pricey after shipping, exchange rate and cross border taxes. Trading Post is a great resource and I may buy there yet.

Going to check HD rental dept for 64cc Makita and hopefully look at a local 365 Special this week. Both could get bigger in the future and give me an excuse to get a 5100s when I find one.

Cheers,
Glenn

Well, things do change a bit sometimes and goalposts do move around a bit. A guy here is selling an 034 for a sort of reasonable price - asking $240 Canadian. It has a 24" bar and new chain. Seems to me like the bar is too long for an 034. When I go to look at that one, I may try to also see the 365 Special maybe a half hour drive farther away. That guy hasn't replied since I suggested I could look at it a couple of days ago. I could probably get that for $350 Canadian. It has a 19" bar. Can you get 19" bars or is it likely a 20"?

So, here's what I thought. Maybe if I got them both I could go through them - the basics, make sure they both start and run good, make sure compression is good, fix anything that needs fixing (older fuel lines and such), make sure the oilers are working good and clean them up as needed. Then I figured I could swap the bars and sell one of them. Or keep them both even though budget would be blown.

Are the bars interchangeable between the Stihl 034 and Husky 365? Of course, I don't know what sprockets are on them, but fairly sure the Husky is original as it was shop serviced (last time was 2013).

Thanks,
Glenn

Well, things do change a bit sometimes and goalposts do move around a bit. A guy here is selling an 034 for a sort of reasonable price - asking $240 Canadian. It has a 24" bar and new chain. Seems to me like the bar is too long for an 034. When I go to look at that one, I may try to also see the 365 Special maybe a half hour drive farther away. That guy hasn't replied since I suggested I could look at it a couple of days ago. I could probably get that for $350 Canadian. It has a 19" bar. Can you get 19" bars or is it likely a 20"?

So, here's what I thought. Maybe if I got them both I could go through them - the basics, make sure they both start and run good, make sure compression is good, fix anything that needs fixing (older fuel lines and such), make sure the oilers are working good and clean them up as needed. Then I figured I could swap the bars and sell one of them. Or keep them both even though budget would be blown.

Are the bars interchangeable between the Stihl 034 and Husky 365? Of course, I don't know what sprockets are on them, but fairly sure the Husky is original as it was shop serviced (last time was 2013).

Thanks,
Glenn

OK, smilies won't work for me, but I've just given myself a great big headslap! Sorry about the spoonfeeding request. I just checked Baileys and found the answer. Chains can interchange with the matching size, pitch & gauge, but Husky and Stihl bars are different. Dummy!

Still, both these saws could be good buys.

Cheers,
Glenn

If the 034 is in decent shape that is a fair price for it. As you have discovered, Stihl and Husky have different bar mounts.
If you found ourself a 5100s or 5105, it uses the husqvarna K095 mount bar which would work with other Husqvarna/Jonsered chainsaws you might acquire down the road.

I have the Makita dcs510 which I'm told is really a dolmar saw and I think its an exceptionally well built saw and fully expect it to last a good long time. They seem to sell used for less money than the other brands and in my amateur opinion this saw feels more sturdy than my stihl, husky or echo saw.

If the 034 is in decent shape that is a fair price for it. As you have discovered, Stihl and Husky have different bar mounts.
If you found ourself a 5100s or 5105, it uses the husqvarna K095 mount bar which would work with other Husqvarna/Jonsered chainsaws you might acquire down the road.

Thank you for the info on the Domar/Husky bar mounts! The 034 sold shortly after I posted. Didn't even have a chance to look at it, so I guess it was a good price.

I have the Makita dcs510 which I'm told is really a dolmar saw and I think its an exceptionally well built saw and fully expect it to last a good long time. They seem to sell used for less money than the other brands and in my amateur opinion this saw feels more sturdy than my stihl, husky or echo saw.

Thanks Disorderly! Somehow I keep coming back to Dolmar/Makita. Having one of them and a bigger Husky might be the perfect 2 saw plan!

Cheers,
Glenn

Hi again folks,

In keeping with my evolution toward a 2 saw plan, what do you think of a Dolmar PS-421 16" for the general purpose around the house saw (and first saw) and a 60-70cc when the time comes to start with the firewood gang cutting? I can get the said Dolmar new for a little over $300 shipped. With this plan in mind do I really need a 50cc class saw for the small one? I did decide to stick with Dolmar/Makita or Husky for the common bar types. There might still be some smaller Husky's and a PS-540 in the Tradin' Post for lower money than the new 421 to reconsider.

Thanks,
Glenn

Back