New purchase Stihl 461 or 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you made a really good choice. Not to dog the 661-I like them too. A lot better than its predecessor. But it's too much saw for 20" bars. It's really too much saw for a 24 (25 in Stihl land) too.

But the 461 should cut better than a 661 with that bar. If you changed rims it would be different. But with a 7, the 461 should be better. I think the 461 will go down with the 372XP as the two best 70cc chainsaws ever made.

You made a great choice. Enjoy it.

Been through a couple of Stihls over the years last was a MS280. Gonna move to a professional saw. Since the 362 is out of the question, I'm down to the 461 or 661. $150, 2lbs more wait with the 661. Most of the time it will probably just have a 20" bar on it, will the 661 cut faster or bout the same? I want to be able to cut a lot faster and hold up longer than that 280. Answers, opinions?
have had a 460 for close 10 yrs hasn't failed me yet put a 36 inch bar for the big stuff no problems but I gotta say I bought the new 661 its awsom less vibration starts real easy bit heavy but awsom power

Love this saw. Planned on cutting more but weather didn't cooperate,drizzle. Crosscut bout 10 pieces to get on splitter. Use to take forever with 280, but no problem for the 461(Orange Beast).
One problem I had on crosscut is the bottom front getting clogged up with shavings. Is this normal?

Latest posts

Back