New Rope (poison ivy) break in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bottlefed89

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I got some new gear today after having all of mine stolen. I got 150' of poison ivy, and noticed in the sherrill catalog that it said breakin required. What do I need to do to properly break it in??
thanks
greg

Ive found that just running a rope over a rough barked tree a few times helps soften up the surface a bit, but I'm afraid you just have to climb on it.

Nice rope, been working on the edelrid rainbow is recent months and had a play on the ivy this weekend. I won't be changing but another one to add to the "had a go on that one" list.

Uk arbs are in a great position at this time to choose from a huge number of different ropes and harnesses.

I'm climbing on Poison Ivy, I love it didn't seem to need breakin in. A few long repells should milk it out for you.

Been climbing on PI for 6 months, no break-in required out of the box as far as how it behaves with a friction hitch. No need to drag it over rough bark, it holds the hitch just fine. The sheath (it's a kermantle) milked quite a bit after the first 10 climbs or so. It settled down after that, no problems since. Notice in the photo how smooth the rope surface is after plenty of use. If anything the rope is "faster" now than when it was new.
-moss
39984368_4b0e000d64.jpg

Same here, my hands like the diameter of PI. I checked out Blaze and thought it was too thin. Also I'm a rec climber and like the way PI blends in the woods.
-moss

moss said:
I'm a rec climber and like the way PI blends in the woods.
-moss

Thats the exact reasonb I DONT like the PI. It blends in too much. I like to be able to see my rope no matter what. Black and green rope blends in a little too much for my liking. I am not saying I will not see the rope in front of me but it may "get lost" in the canopy or worse yet get thrown in the chipper by a groundhand who doesnt see it in the pile of branches.

I like a bright rope too, I have a hank of Velosity right now and like it a lot.

Small dia. and seems to have a bit of a "tack" to it so I get an easier footlock.

I like the small DIa. because the long hanks are SOOO much easier to pull through a tree.

Now I've gotten to the point where I do not like 1/2 inch rope.

I bought the PI because it was 11.5mm-Several people said that they found the extra .5 mm added a lot to the gripability and handling of the rope but that it still worked better in mechanical ascension devicescompared to larger ropes and had the advantage of lighter weight than most 1/2 inch ropes. I really like the PI except for the color and the horrible name. Re. breakin-the hand is great right out of the package but the cover milks-that is why it is melted on one end and not the other. Run it away from the melt for the first several climbs to get the cover milked. If anyone is listening" DON'T NAME ROPES AFTER HATED/POISONOUS PLANTS. The Green and Black is a handsome rope but it would be more appealing to most arbos if it were Chartreuse and Black , Orange and Black, or Red and Black. Personally I'd get a kick out Pink and Black-but Tom Dunlap and I might be the only straight men who would buy it. :p

Well after using my pi today, I like it. I don't like the color. I also chose the PI over blaze because I liked the thickness a little better. To each his own. Mine didn't really seem to hold a hitch all that well at first, but got progressively better throughout the day.

BostonBull said:
Thats the exact reasonb I DONT like the PI. It blends in too much. I like to be able to see my rope no matter what. Black and green rope blends in a little too much for my liking. I am not saying I will not see the rope in front of me but it may "get lost" in the canopy or worse yet get thrown in the chipper by a groundhand who doesnt see it in the pile of branches.

Makes sense, if I was a working arbo I'd want my ropes as visible as possible. Scary thought to get rope running into a chipper.

Poison Hivy

A little sneak peak at a new product for 2006 we have....A new high-visibility Poison Ivy rope, we've named Poison Hi-vy. Same specs as the original PI, but now with bright green instead of black strands. Will be in stock soon.

-Sean

Please keep in mind that making this photo internet ready takes some of the "edge" off of the rope's true brightness.
attachment.php

OK this is the rope i think I'm gonna go with but i have a question also. Is the kermantle good around the tree? as in has a good wear properties?
Do the standard pig tail ropes work good for the friction knots? As in non kermantle pig tail /kermantle rope.
I must say that true blue is the only rope i've climbed (is company supplied) and all they use is the snap tied to one end to make the pigtail and you use the end to make your knot. I'm wanting to learn some new techniques!

Latest posts

Back