New Saw coming.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut4fun

Cut4fun

Faster is Better
Casey, this is one of the type of adapters out there that will let you run stihl bars on a 7900.

Last edited:
B_Turner

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
highsiera said:
Ok, I'm ready to blaspheme here. .... I walked away from the 441 thinking "EPA mandated".
OK, have at me, it's Saturday night. B

I envy you the chance to have the dealer let you compare the saws yourself in wood. Seems like the dealers I have gone to in the last few years don't allow it. I don't know if it is liability or just that I am a small fish.

I would pay admission to a big chainsaw show that allowed me to run saws myself. I usually know within seconds of running a new tool whether or not I like it, and no amount of reading can get me there.

I guess dealers sometimes feel that if you are the real deal then you have access to saws to test at work or something.

Reddog

Reddog

Tree Killer
CaseyForrest said:
Was the 440 brand new just like the 441?

If it wasnt, that wasnt a fair comparison as we all know saws open up more with use.

I am thinking of a 440 before the go byby. Don't like the feel of the 441.

manual

manual

Addicted to ArboristSite
Freakingstang said:
Hey manual did ya read that, did ya did ya read it. I want your brain to comprehend the part in the bold in that post. Last time i checked that 441 was in the 70cc class range....

highsiera, if I can ask, what size saw do you have and how much wood do you normally cut a year?

This isn't about you. This is about another member that has his thoughts thinking every homeowner needs a 70-80cc saw.

Yep read it. Tells me he can handle a bigger saw.
NEVER said that every homeowner NEEDS a 70-80cc saw.

Looks like you already stearo typed someone else as a homeowner.

Heck I know one Homeowner that will defend the 5100 to the end.

Last edited:
CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Cut4fun said:
Casey, this is one of the type of adapters out there that will let you run stihl bars on a 7900.

I remember Steve posting a pic of his 7900 with that adaptor on it.

Im stihl leaning towards the Stihl though....My dealer has been great to me...

Heck, went in to have the new bar studs put into my 361, and he didnt charge me for the labor. Little things like that will keep me going back to him. Maybe if he picks up Dolmar, then Ill get one.

CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reddog said:
I am thinking of a 440 before the go byby. Don't like the feel of the 441.

Im still up in the air on that one as well. Not only can I get the 440 a bit cheaper, but its a proven design.

The thing about the 441 is its new, and I like new things. I think youd agree with me though, if there ever was a problem with it, Brian would take care of it, no questions.

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
I'm sorry for offering the 7900 as a suggestion Casey...

I reallly meant to recommend the 5100. That is what manual wants me to say...

I think the size of the wood determines the usefullness of a saw more than a pro or homeowner. There, I said it. I am sorry. I will stay out of these threads because some members can't handle the truth about society.

Last edited:
CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Freakingstang said:
I'm sorry for offering the 7900 as a suggestion Casey...

I reallly meant to recommend the 5100. That is what manual wants me to say...

I think the size of the would determines the usefullness of a saw more than a pro or homeowner. There, I said it. I am sorry. I will stay out of these threads because some members can't handle the truth about society.

Its allright, Id take the 7900 over the 5100 because I already have the 361. I dont invison myself needing a saw smaller than the 361.

Heck, I use a 16" bar as the main weapon on it now.

Reddog

Reddog

Tree Killer
CaseyForrest said:
Im still up in the air on that one as well. Not only can I get the 440 a bit cheaper, but its a proven design.

The thing about the 441 is its new, and I like new things. I think youd agree with me though, if there ever was a problem with it, Brian would take care of it, no questions.

Thats why I go there. Let me know if you want to run my 440BB. It is just getting broke in nice.

highsiera

highsiera

ArboristSite Operative
Stang, I cut about once a month, for 6 or 7 hours. Our family has a place on the Potomac river where it runs into the Chesapeake Bay. It's a decent piece of acerage full of locust, black cherry, tulip poplar and some oaks. We also planted about 100 5 yr old Va pines in the last 2 years. The place is on a point and gets buffetted by the weather pretty hard. The first 100 ft of trees don't grow up, they grow every way but and it's all a big twisted mess. Add into that the constant tide which deposits countless trees, stumps and other woody garbage on our beach, under our pier and all over our boatramp. During hurricane season when there are frequent storm surges of over 10 feet I'm up ther every other weekend cleaning up. I cut wood because like most guys here, I truly enjoy it. Couldn't tell you how many cords, mostly we buck logs into 4-6 foot sections and stake them to the banks to stave off the erosion.

I run a 024av for the lighter stuff and have been using a 034av for the meaty stuff. The 034 is currently on the operating table waiting for new rings to arrive. I don't NEED a bigger saw, but there's nothing wrong with WANTing one.

re: my dealer, Yes, I'm a lucky guy he's been good to me for over 10 years, and was especially great when I was landscaping as a career. The irony is I've never bot a saw or a big mower from him, a couple of echo trimmers and a blower, but he's never held it against me. Now that I'm a suit and I drive a desk the 10 or so people I send to him for service or new gear a year I guess makes up for it. Guy even bends over backwards to gets parts for my 1950s Locke reel mower. Believe me, I am not the "real deal" .

Yes, it was a brand new 440 Mag that I ran against the 441, not even a full tank through it yet.

If I had gone in to buy I would have left with the 440 Mag. As it stands, If I can't shake the urge to buy a big saw, I probably pick up a spent 044 or 046 and frankenstein it. Just love the old 0's...

CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Got to run a demo 441 today. 20" bar and dull RS chain....

I was impressed....full buried bar and it took quite a bit of down pressure to get the chain to stall. Sounds nice...and Ohhh soo smooth.

Wally, what did you think of it? I hear you may have a new saw on the way???

Reddog

Reddog

Tree Killer
Sounds like I had better beat you there Sat. to get my saw. Thats right If he only gets one I ordered mine first.;)

I liked it good AV, Quiet, Nice strong power band. Sure am glad I ran one before I judged it by the specs.:deadhorse:

CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reddog said:
Sounds like I had better beat you there Sat. to get my saw. Thats right If he only gets one I ordered mine first.;)

I liked it good AV, Quiet, Nice strong power band. Sure am glad I ran one before I judged it by the specs.:deadhorse:

HAHA!!! I told him Id take the one off the shelf....

Im also glad I got to run one, or I would have gone with the 440.

Sounds like hes going from selling 0 to selling at least 2 on the same day!! Maybe we can talk Computeruser into buying one too, get rid of that bastard red saw he has.

computeruser

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
CaseyForrest said:
HAHA!!! I told him Id take the one off the shelf....

Im also glad I got to run one, or I would have gone with the 440.

Sounds like hes going from selling 0 to selling at least 2 on the same day!! Maybe we can talk Computeruser into buying one too, get rid of that bastard red saw he has.

HA! I'm keepin' the 7900, and I'm going to put the 044 back together soon. It'll have to be a heck of a saw to get me to want to trade two for one...