new saw needed....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be looking for a 1990s 50cc saw if you want to do your own work on it.

They make winter grade bar oils. If you cannot locate that try some 20W motor oil, the cheap stuff should work fine.

Concerning a gas saw. A quality 50cc saw from stihl, husky or dolmar should be what you need. Hard to find older ones still in good condition, but much easier to work on if you can get parts

And let’s not forget a good ole McCulloch!

I don’t know about oil for cold weather as it’s not an issue for me. But you should check out the older mcculloch 10-10 or 10-10s. They are great saws and have a good following. American made saw.

I declare myself an oil expert.According to this,the ideal oil for ANY winter purpose is the oil that reaches faster the far point of the engine.Most fluid are synthetic and 5w or better 0w.

About the 240,i cleaned all,refill,and it works,it cuts also_Only the brake does not work,i found the spring in the package instead...,and i cannot mount it,at least not yet....As feeling,it's a bit toy.About the oil,the trans oil synth it's expensive,i will consider Bobby Kirbos advice,thank you.

240 is a good saw. But for the similar needs that you mentioned, I would buy 254 xp. One thing that I want to add, never buy Chinese saw if you want to get a real saw.
Where is the 240 made, I had one and didn’t even look,
don’t know how they hold up, mine was fixed twice at the Husqvarna dealer
where I bought it, it was the spring in the starter each time, I thought it
would be under warranty but was told no, 40 euro each time for part and
labour, the reason I did not fix it myself was so the Husqvarna shop couldn’t
say I assembled it wrong, but they did not care that it lasted a short time each time.

Use a lighter oil, engine oil works in cold weather, though they have light and heavy
bar oil here, I use the light oil all the time in small saws.

The Echo 501 is the lightest 50cc saw available, I had two, great runners,
easy to start in any weather.

Hope the Husqvarna works out well.

i must buy some chinese tools for carb....Until then,there is a temporary way to adjust the carburettor?

Hi,good evening.I must prepare for the next season.The Echo 501 cost a fortune,i can find it only new,and i suppose that is also too much plastic for my taste.I still search an 254xp or xpg.Meawhile,greetings from Romania.

Makita or Dolmar are good saws too, I wouldn’t keep waiting a particular saw to
come, it might never happen.
Surely someone local to you has a carb tool you mention, take your saw and get it tuned.

I'm 50+ myself, and the older I get the less I want to use a heavy saw. If I were you, I would forgo the larger (60 cc +) saws and buy used 50cc saw: Husqvarna 346xp, Sthil MS260, or Dolmar PS 510, have it ported, buy a 16" and a 20" bar/chain for it, and you're set.

I'm 50+ myself, and the older I get the less I want to use a heavy saw. If I were you, I would forgo the larger (60 cc +) saws and buy used 50cc saw: Husqvarna 346xp, Sthil MS260, or Dolmar PS 510, have it ported, buy a 16" and a 20" bar/chain for it, and you're set.
hi, have you considered the husqvarna 50,51,55 series saws? they are 49,51,53 cc,s very good saws. parts are every where. they were built from 1983 to 2010 or so. 11.4 lbs. strong reliable saw. just my opinion. good luck, gray top 40

I buyed an 346xp,year 2012,waiting to come.Tried to get some more power,as very disappointed with the 240 e.I have a question-as i am very satisfied with my old Mercedes car,trying to reach also the Mercedes of chainsaws.Aswers are welcome,as always willing to learn,even at 51y.o

I buyed an 346xp,year 2012,waiting to come.Tried to get some more power,as very disappointed with the 240 e.I have a question-as i am very satisfied with my old Mercedes car,trying to reach also the Mercedes of chainsaws.Aswers are welcome,as always willing to learn,even at 51y.o
For a reliable, always starts saw, even after left for a while I would choose a Makita DCS 520 or similar Dolmar 115, 52cc, strong dependable and parts no problem, not a lot around in Eastern Europe, I always send some for sale to my house there and they have quite a local following now! Most folks there are afraid of anything none Stihl or Husky, but you can always rely on a good straight forward no mess German none plastic saw!

Latest posts

Back