New saw owner question(s)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, Stihl used to make the ES in 20", but no longer? I wonder if dealers would still have a few of them in stock. Does anyone know the guide bar number?

Greg Lees said:
So, Stihl used to make the ES in 20", but no longer? I wonder if dealers would still have a few of them in stock. Does anyone know the guide bar number?

I would call around to your local dealers. I am not at home right now so I can't give you the guide bar #, but I bought a 20" ES 0.063 for my 034 saw about 3 weeks back. Some dealers may have a few remaining in stock.

Greg Lees said:

I'm not having any problem getting them in the NW - I order them most weeks... look back in the thread for part numbers.

Lakeside53 said:
I'm showing them available in .063... and have been for a long time. 3003-000-9421 and 3003-000-9821 (wide tip for boring). I get 3/8 .050 in ES all the time.

Are these the ones you referenced? If so, are they .050 gauge or .063? My guess is more chain types are made for the .050 than the other that fit this saw and bar combo, right?

Virtually any and all chain types are available easily in either gauge. Whether your dealer stocks them sometimes varies, but they are available. You will have no problems with chain avilability in either gauge, as they make both gauges in all the different cutter types and sequences they make. Also, yes, those are the part numbers he is referring to.

All is well. I picked up my saw this morning and the dealer was waiting with a 20" ES bar in hand. He switched out the standard E bar and then we discussed chains. I told him to leave the RM2 chain on for now to let me acclimate to to the saw. He also threw in an RS and a RSC chain for me to try. I have never used a full chisel comfort chain before. Has anyone used this chain? Do they perform as advertised, all go and low vibration?

Re: the saw, I couldn't be happier. If it wasn't for the advise I received here, I'm sure I would have had been in the dark. Thanks everyone.

Greg

Greg Lees said:
... I have never used a full chisel comfort chain before. Has anyone used this chain? Do they perform as advertised, all go and low vibration? ....

I have mostly used 36RSC on my 361, but occationally 36RM in semi-dirty wood.

Of the two, the RSC is no doubt smoother in the cut, but I have never used regular RS on the same saw, so I can't honestly comment on how it compares.

The "comfort" (anti-vibe) feature is copied from Oregon LP, VP, BP etc.
Oregon LP is smoother than LG, so I assume the same will be the case with RSC vs. RS, and RMC vs. RM.

Back