New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this machine capable of splitting my 30+ inch butts?

I'm thinking if you're lifting 30" butts onto the splitter, you don't need one. What do they weigh? 350? 400 pounds?

That's the realm of noodling, vertical splitters, and horizontals with log lifts.

The LogRite variation of this, if you buy all the bells and whistles, is the only one could handle this without using additional equipment and that'll run you about $10k.

Otherwise I can't see someone routinely taking the time with front end loaders and/or tongs to position a log on the SuperSplit, etc.

It's sort of like asking if a Porsche can tow a camper. Even though it's capable if you finagle it enough, it's not the right application.

Philwillmt, I usually don't buy extended warranties. I am not sure if I will buy a extended warranty for the Speedpro when I buy. Did you get the extended? I wonder how many people do go for the extended on the Speedpro.

Strange you asked about an extended warranty! I actually purchased my splitter from TSC on October 1. They didn't even know they were going to be carrying these splitters, and they didn't have any in stock. I had a 10% off coupon, and they let me pay for the splitter in advance of receiving it. I did not purchase an extended warranty at that time. In fact, I had never purchased an extended warranty of any kind for anything! So, from October 1 until the splitter came in on October 18 I kept researching threads concerning the SpeedPro splitter. I read mostly positive comments, but there were just enough negative comments concerning poor quality and issues with the rack gear that I thought I should at least inquire about their extended warranty. Also, since this is a new splitter to Speeco and TSC, I though I might ought to play it safe in this case. I opted for the 3 year warranty at $199. I saved $170 on the splitter with the 10% discount, so in effect I got the warranty for $29. At least that's the way I look at it! I might mention that the 3 year warranty is NOT an extended warranty. It's simply two years in addition to the 1 year manufactures warranty. I hope I never have to use it, but at the same time it's nice to know that I have three years to see how well this splitter holds up. I hope it's the last splitter I ever own...we'll see!

Has anyone compared the KINETIC energy of the SpeedPro to the other similar splitters.

It would be good to know how they compare.

1. Flywheel Weights
    RPM of the flywheel
    Dia. of the flywheel
    Clutch size
    Engine shaft size

Kinetic energy when the flywheel starts spinning, 1/2 throttle, full throttle.

When I read the thread about issues and others not having the same issue maybe the other machine is running at a lower energy setting, one that will never push the splitter and damage anything.

The lower the energy in the flywheel the harder it could be to split some rounds and tear up the splitters.

I use mine at 1/2 throttle, maybe that setting is the same as the other companies splitters when it comes to energy, I have no idea. I am still happy with mine !

I use it like I own it, not something rented with the optional insurance.

Last edited:
DR Rapid Fire Stats for ya.

Has anyone compared the KINETIC energy of the SpeedPro to the other similar splitters.

It would be good to know how they compare.

1. Flywheel Weights
    RPM of the flywheel
    Dia. of the flywheel
    Clutch size
    Engine shaft size

Kinetic energy when the flywheel starts spinning, 1/2 throttle, full throttle.

When I read the thread about issues and others not having the same issue maybe the other machine is running at a lower energy setting, one that will never push the splitter and damage anything.

The lower the energy in the flywheel the harder it could be to split some rounds and tear up the splitters.

I use mine at 1/2 throttle, maybe that setting is the same as the other companies splitters when it comes to energy, I have no idea. I am still happy with mine !

I use it like I own it, not something rented with the optional insurance.

RapidFire Stats for ya:
MODEL » RapidFire™
RapidFire Log-Splitters
Force 28 HP
Ft. lbs. Torque 8.34
Engine Subaru
HP 6 HP
Cylinder N/A
Max. Log Length 24"
Max. Log Diameter 30"
Cycle Time 3 seconds
Knife Height 6.25"
H-Beam Height 29"
Overall Height 48"
Overall Length 84" w/tray
Width 35"
Weight w/ Table 503 lbs (ES); 499 lbs (MS)
Weight w/o Table 471 lbs (ES); 467 lbs (MS)
Tire Size 18"
Flywheel Weight 74 lbs.
Flywheel Diameter 18.25"
Flywheel Max RPM 400 RPM
Kinetic Energy Stored 2356 ft. pounds
:pumpkin2:

I got my Speedpro

I pulled the trigger this morning and purchased my Speedpro. It is every thing I thought it was. I like to split my white oak in squares or rectangles. With the log cradles on either side of the beam it makes it hard to do. Has anyone removed either one or both of the cradles to keep the round flat on the beam ? I think I will try it the next time I use it. I think I will get a Tiny Tach so I can tell how many rpm's I am running it at. I think I am at about 1/3 throttle. It still has plenty of punch!

Hello Lumberjackmoe,

I think you'll be pleased with your machine. I am very pleased with my machine. I think I'll get a Tiny Tach also. I have one on a pressure washer and the hour meter/ tach are useful.

I had intended on mentioning this sooner but I had to re-tighten the trailer hitch bolts. The TSC guy missed this I'm guessing?

I'm thinking if you're lifting 30" butts onto the splitter, you don't need one. What do they weigh? 350? 400 pounds?

That's the realm of noodling, vertical splitters, and horizontals with log lifts.

The LogRite variation of this, if you buy all the bells and whistles, is the only one could handle this without using additional equipment and that'll run you about $10k.

Otherwise I can't see someone routinely taking the time with front end loaders and/or tongs to position a log on the SuperSplit, etc.

It's sort of like asking if a Porsche can tow a camper. Even though it's capable if you finagle it enough, it's not the right application.

Just trying to find something fast enough to make it worth purchasing.... if it can fill a spot in my splitter lineup I'dget it. But still I want to know just how versatile it is; as if it got stuck in one of the woodlots without another splitter could it handle the job.

Both types are needed

Natewood,

In my opinion both a hydraulic and kinetic splitter will work well together. You'll still need the hydraulic splitter for the to heavy to lift pieces, along with the very knottier stuff too.

My hydraulic splitter is vertical only and squatting/kneeling is uncomfortable so standing beside the SpeedPro has become a pleasure not to mention the time savings. Any real big pieces we'll quarter on the hydraulic and then use the SpeedPro.

Removal of log cradle

TF Pace, I am the same. I will keep my 34 ton Brave splitter for the large stuff to quarter and the knotty rounds. Today I removed the log cradle so that after I split the 1/4 of the 31" butt in 1/2 I have a flat surface to be more accurate in splitting the logs into 3" - 5" pieces, square or retangle. The log sits flat on the splitting beam and both pieces after being split end up on the work table on the other side of the wedge anyway.

Bought the speed pro today and I must say I'm impressed. The two handed operation is not so bad, you do not have to hold the handle down after it is engaged. Put some nasty twisted oak and it busted through it with a couple of hits.

Well, the speedpro is getting a workout. we started today on a 7-8 cord pile we hauled in from a land clearing job. Going to try to get a conveyor going asap. its a PITA to load the truck after a while.

attachment.php

Disappointed in new SpeedPro splitter!

I finally got a chance to assemble and test run my new SpeedPro splitter today, and the results were disappointing! The minor issues were: 1) the bearing caps for the wheels were missing, and 2) the lock washers for the engine tensioning bolts were for a left-hand threaded bolts (in other words, backwards for the right-hand threaded bolt). The BIG disappointment came when I started the engine. There is excessive vibration which is obviously due to the flywheels being out of ballance. I shot a short video and I'll try to post it later. I could live with minor vibration, but this is excessive! The push plate on the end of the ram rattles back and forth, the whole machine bounces up and down, and the tires bounce and rotate back and forth. I didn't even bother with splitting a log with it, because I knew right away that I will never be satisfied with this splitter the way it vibrates now. It's an obvious lope...just like an automobile with a wheel that has slung a weight. It becomes noticeable at about 1/3 throttle, and gets progressively worse from 1/3 throttle through full throttle. I plan on calling TSC first to see what they want to do, but I have a feeling they will only offer a refund. I'm sure that if the flywheels were removed and ballanced at a machine shop that the problem would go away, but I shouldn't have to do that, neither should I have to pay for it. TSC has another new unit still in the crate at their store, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with having to take the assembled unit back, swap it for the disassembled unit, and then have to assemble another unit in hopes that it will work properly. I really wish this splitter would have worked well like I expected it to the first time. I'm really torn on which route to take now! :msp_sad: Maybe I should steer clear of the SpeedPro alltogether! I do remember reading a post or two concerning some out-of-ballance issues. I also remember watching a few videos where the logs were vibrating quite a bit when placed in the cradle. Has anyone else had to deal with an out of ballance machine?

I finally got a chance to assemble and test run my new SpeedPro splitter today, and the results were disappointing! ...Has anyone else had to deal with an out of ballance machine?

I agree with your concerns, but one note, if you are paying the full price, my TSC assembles the unit for you. Bet you though, if you return that unit, it will be placed right back out on the sales floor for someone else to buy.

Phil,

I hate to that you're having problems. My TSC wouldn't let the splitter leave w/o their man assemble the splitter. He said the had a check list that had to be completed, etc. My comment was how hard is it to bolt up a hitch and mount the tires.

As far as the balance issue goes, my machine started of with a little bounce and was soon gone. I am only guessing but I think there was some excess paint build up in the belt grooves? Anyway, it runs great.

I would take your machine back and let the manager see what's going on. He'll either give you the other one that they assembled and that you are happy with or refund your purchase.

Stick in there,

Tom

check the engine alignment, mine was crooked and one belt had a bit of a slack in it causing some bouncing issues.

That's not fun when your new toy doesn't run right from the get go. I definately would take it back and give them a chance to make it right with you. Hopefully they will do so. As for mine, I bought the demo unit. No issues and normal vibration from the solid mounted engine. I did re-align the engine and belts as they had it running one belt looser than the other, just as BSD. But mine never had a vibration from that, I just seen it was misaligned. I agree with the others though, TSC should assemble it for you unless they are offering a discount.

Good luck and I will say this, imho when you get it right, it shouldn't disappoint.

Phil,

I hate to that you're having problems. My TSC wouldn't let the splitter leave w/o their man assemble the splitter. He said the had a check list that had to be completed, etc. My comment was how hard is it to bolt up a hitch and mount the tires.

As far as the balance issue goes, my machine started of with a little bounce and was soon gone. I am only guessing but I think there was some excess paint build up in the belt grooves? Anyway, it runs great.

I would take your machine back and let the manager see what's going on. He'll either give you the other one that they assembled and that you are happy with or refund your purchase.

Stick in there,

Tom

Thanks Tom! I ALWAYS prefer to assemble my own stuff...I KNOW it is done correctly that way, and it also allows me to become familiar with the mechanics of the unit prior to using it. I'm currently working this issue with SpeeCo. I hope to get the issue resolved and the splitter in service very soon, as I have lots of wood just waiting to be split!

Thanks Tom! I ALWAYS prefer to assemble my own stuff...I KNOW it is done correctly that way, and it also allows me to become familiar with the mechanics of the unit prior to using it. I'm currently working this issue with SpeeCo. I hope to get the issue resolved and the splitter in service very soon, as I have lots of wood just waiting to be split!

Let us know how it goes with SpeeCo. I'm curious to how they deal with your situation and the end results.

My TSC store had already assembled both of there speedpro's. I thought about getting one in the box for the same reasons. To know it was done right and to see how things work. Beings how they'd only run a few rounds through the demo (was only 3 days old), I thought it best to take the one I could "test drive" and see had no issues present. As I had read previously in this thread, vibration issues were a concern.

Thanks for posting and looking forward to hearing about your results.

Thanks.

Any reason you didn't split straight into those bags? Just easier to fill 'em later with the bucket?

Any splitter pros and cons stand out for you now you've had 20+ hrs on it?

204452d1319662439-imag0996-jpg

204453d1319662443-imag0997-jpg

204454d1319662447-imag0998-jpg

we've been busy little beavers with our speedpro. we probably have about 1-1.5 cords left of our 8cord pile we hauled in the other day. everything in the pics has been split on the speedpro. we currently have 21 hours on the machine.
View attachment 204452
View attachment 204453
View attachment 204454

Latest posts

Back