New to me McCulloch 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to see how it goes I guess. It will probably be fine since the pump is working now; but I do like to keep my bar & chain lubed well. The little 3214 sure runs through the oil... probably 2 tanks of oil per tank of fuel, if not more.

Thanks!
Clay

You aut to make you a set of bucking dogs for your saw, I did and it works great and looks better, nice runner you got.
I like dogs on the saws I use for felling, but I don't care for them while bucking. The McCinderblock isn't my first choice for dropping trees, and given the weight it doesn't seem to need help bucking!

BTW that saw has a considerably larger HDB1 carb and the spark screen is removed. It seems to make a noticeable improvement, and it pulls a 2" bar quite well for 56cc.

Well now. It turns out that once the beast is warm, the oil flows. Quite well, I'm pretty happy!

I'm making note of that HDB carb mod...

chainoil4.sized.jpg

chainoil1.sized.jpg

I was using the manual pump as well and yeah, too much oil at that point; you can see it in the wood.

The funny thing is now there are PM 610's and Eager Beaver 3.7's listed locally on Craigslist. Where were they when I was looking?

Clay

They take a lot of abuse for being heavy, and for the oilers and ignitions that fail. Still, for the time they had chain brakes and A/V, and they make very good power for the displacement. The oil pumps actually work fine, and the ignitions are now decades old so what would you expect? The A/V system is not up to current standards and seems a little hokey mechanically, but it works well enough to make the saw usable and they don't seem to fail much.

Maintain it, including blowing out the junk that accumulates between the muffler and cylinder fins, and it will cut a lot of wood for a long time.

Only thing I hate about my PM605, it's got a zama carb, should have swapped it out long ago for a walbro, kits are easier to get from a dealer I know.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back