New vs. Used 200t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Sully

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ill start off with this is my favorite website, my wife is now an "arborist site widow" . Now to the good stuff. I'm over my Echo CS-341. Ive been looking into finally getting a real trim saw, MS 200t. My delimma is to go with used or new, not taking price into consideration. I obviously want new but ive only used other peoples in the past, i just dont wanna buy new if the older ones are better built, or if the new ones have modifications that limit its capabilities. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I paid $300 for my 200T used. In theory it was about 6 months old. I never checked up on that, but compared to $639 new, a like new for $300 was a no brainer.

Ill start off with this is my favorite website, my wife is now an "arborist site widow" . Now to the good stuff. I'm over my Echo CS-341. Ive been looking into finally getting a real trim saw, MS 200t. My delimma is to go with used or new, not taking price into consideration. I obviously want new but ive only used other peoples in the past, i just dont wanna buy new if the older ones are better built, or if the new ones have modifications that limit its capabilities. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have bought a used one on E-bay for about $350 and it was a great saw until I went to replace the clutch and screwed it up myself..(Wolf..I'm tearing it apart now and I will let you know bro!) After I did that I did bough a new one and once you take out the spark arrestor so it can breath a little..it runs every bit as good as my older one..I got new one for $533.oo..Get a new one..hear it scream and be in love with the best saw out there..I tried the 338xp..and it was gutless..sorry to you Husky fans out there..but guys..come on..seriously? As far as new models with any mods that impact performance..so far mine..every bolt and screw is the exact same..welcome to the site btw! Merry Christmas to you and all you other guys with saw chips in your blood!

I have a OLD one, right after they switched from O20, Still a beast! Have replaced some parts, Chain brake handle, on/off wire in the handle. But for as old as it is, it still runs like a raped ape!

if you live in the states then get new. The old ones aren't any better, and nobody buys these saws for 'hobby' use so they've generally had hard wear. People only sell them if they think the saw is going to die soon, or if they're flat broke. At $600, you get it brand new with unclaimable warranty in the box, sweet new saw smell, scrench, little screwdriver, special tool for locking the cyllinder, new bar and chain, and a manual with about 50 pages of reasons for why you shouldn't use this saw because it's way too dangerous. What's not to like?

Shaun

if you live in the states then get new. The old ones aren't any better, and nobody buys these saws for 'hobby' use so they've generally had hard wear. People only sell them if they think the saw is going to die soon, or if they're flat broke. At $600, you get it brand new with unclaimable warranty in the box, sweet new saw smell, scrench, little screwdriver, special tool for locking the cyllinder, new bar and chain, and a manual with about 50 pages of reasons for why you shouldn't use this saw because it's way too dangerous. What's not to like?

Shaun

:agree2:

Here on the left coast about every used 200T is a ragged-out tree service cast-off, which would cost more to rebuild than the saw is worth. Every now and then there's an exception...so you may have to do some searching and waiting.

But if you climb and trim for a living, get new and don't look back...:cheers:

BTW welcome to the site, look for some incoming Bounty Hunter Rep (I just can't stand to see nice guys with one green Rep dot)

Another vote for NEW. Look for a Dealer that offers a cash discount. Some Dealers also have older stock before recent price increases, and may give you a discount.

Ebay prices on used 200T's have gone up from last year. Rare to find one in very good condition selling less than $400. Even the beaters are going for more than $300+ shipping. Replace a few parts, which most likely need replacing upon arrival, or take it in for service, and you have invested the price of a new saw.

Will be interesting to see if this guy sells this Beater for $450 delivered. Beaters disquised with new bars are common on Ebay "Buyer Beware"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stihl-ms200t-/270682752149?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item3f05f30495

Last edited:
I bought a used 200T a year or so ago for a hundred bucks. It ran but needed some work. Chain break, and a few other little fixes at the dealer cost me $150, IIRC. Used it as a backup up till a week ago when another 200T got a hole in the gas tank. The used one had been running ok, but needed a good amount of throttle feathering to get it running right. I took them both in for repairs, an hour later the dealer says he's pretty sure the old one has issues far beyond a card adjustment and probably wouldn't be worth spending money on. Had him swap the tank out of the used one into my newer one and now I have 1 200T in a box. Essentially, I got a backup 200T that rarely saw use and a box of parts for 250 bucks.

If you are going to make a living using this saw then go new. If you are going to cut with it a few times a month then look for a used deal. The 200 is the saw that makes me the most money by far. I buy a new one each year regardless.

saw

New if ya can afford it. Used is good also. Be very selective with ebay. Use a high percent feedback person. I use a new and used on off ebay. Both work the same. Good luck!

I have bought a used one on E-bay for about $350 and it was a great saw until I went to replace the clutch and screwed it up myself..(Wolf..I'm tearing it apart now and I will let you know bro!) After I did that I did bough a new one and once you take out the spark arrestor so it can breath a little..it runs every bit as good as my older one..I got new one for $533.oo..Get a new one..hear it scream and be in love with the best saw out there..I tried the 338xp..and it was gutless..sorry to you Husky fans out there..but guys..come on..seriously? As far as new models with any mods that impact performance..so far mine..every bolt and screw is the exact same..welcome to the site btw! Merry Christmas to you and all you other guys with saw chips in your blood!

ok

I have two used ones. I bought them for about 350 each, one on ebay and the other at a shop. Both have had issues.

Go new. My local dealer here sells them for about 500. I would buy another if I had the spare cash.

Thanks everyone i definately appreciate the input. I just didnt want to run into an old one being better than new or vice versa. Thanks for the reps, now i dont look so empty with my few posts.

I got brand new 200T for sale!!

My business partner brought it by mistake - I wanted 260 - he lives in DC area if you are interested I will give You hes phone #

I bought one that had been used one time for $400 from someone on this site over three years ago. The saw was like new. I'm still climbing with it today.

it's hard to kill a Stihl

I have a OLD one, right after they switched from O20, Still a beast! Have replaced some parts, Chain brake handle, on/off wire in the handle. But for as old as it is, it still runs like a raped ape!

I only do tree work as a second job, but have been doing so for quite a while. I upgraded from my 019T to a 200T and have not regretted it. I bought it at a county park dept auction for $240 about 3 years. It also is one after Stihl first moved the 0. I run the ba!!$ off that thing. The only "major" thing I had to do to it was replace the manifold (that had a leak).

And in keeping with liking old Stihls, I recently bought an 038av Mag project. I paid $125 for the saw - less air filter and bar, with severely damaged handle and it came with a spare case, crank, rod ass'y, cylinder/piston (yes 52mm so it is a mag also, and a usable handle. It was the filthiest saw I have ever seen. Since it had 140psi of compression, I left that alone, but did modify the muffler - I opened it up a fair amount (not trying to make a race saw out of it) and removed the stock 40mesh screen with a 20 mesh screen that covers the stock port and the new ports. I just fired it up about 20 min ago. Merry Christmas to me! Holy crap it runs great. :drool: I can't wait to see how it compares side by side to my old 066.

Last edited:
Back