Nicholson files are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? I've used Nicholson files as a machinist and sharpening chain for over 40 years. Nicholson has always been top of the line.
They make a very good file but there saw files are real bad.
The gas station by me sells them and I've yet to try one that's worse.
Even a stihl file lasts longer

Ain't doubting you but you're the first person I know that doesn't like Nicholson. Depends where he gets them they could be bootleg.

Interesting, noticed my local hardware carries them and they are the same price for one as a 2 pack of Oregon. Was thinking of trying them, will save my money.

Ain't doubting you but you're the first person I know that doesn't like Nicholson. Depends where he gets them they could be bootleg.
There's several places that sell them here and ive had to buy them in a pinch and I'm always shocked by how bad they are.

I've got save edge files that I've named there so old.

Old Nicholsen files are excellent, but the new files have been of a lower quality for me since they outsourced their manufacturing. Still quite a bit better than other off brand files I have used.

I take what I read about files on forum sites with a grain of salt. I think 'production runs' of files from producers can vary in quality from time to time. A hand file's ability is some what directly related to the ability of the hand its in too. The Nicholson files I've used have been acceptable along with other brands I have including Pferd, Bahco, Save Edge, Vallorbe, GB, and Oberg. I don't doubt the OP has got a poor file, but that could be for many reasons.

lol. I probably have Nicholson files in my machinist chest older than you!!!! Old can be good sometimes.
I have some flat files that are 50 years old and are still better than what you can buy now unless you spend a lot of money but there different from saw files,ain't nobody got a saw file 50 years old that's been used any at all.
You might get a good one to last as long as the chain

I have some flat files that are 50 years old and are still better than what you can buy now unless you spend a lot of money but there different from saw files,ain't nobody got a saw file 50 years old that's been used any at all.
You might get a good one to last as long as the chain

Agree that chain files are a different animal. What I see people do that destroys files are back and forth like it's a hack saw and not keeping the file clean of shavings.

I've had great results with SaveEdge and GB(Swiss). Never really had one that was trash...even the trilink crap at Wally's seem to work OK in a pinch.

Gave up on the Stihl 3/8 Pico files....the steel is so bad they bend at the handle on first use.
Just got a Nicholson to try out and it seems ok so far...it's more of a bastard grade than the Stihl. Made in Brazil it said.
Next time I will try and find a Vallorbe as they are Swiss I think.

Gave up on the Stihl 3/8 Pico files....the steel is so bad they bend at the handle on first use.
Just got a Nicholson to try out and it seems ok so far...it's more of a bastard grade than the Stihl. Made in Brazil it said.
Next time I will try and find a Vallorbe or Grobet as they are both Swiss I think.
The tangs are normally softer so they are tougher.

The basturd file the sell is ok but I have been using their round files for a couple years now and they stunk. The last 2 files I opened from the package, I threw in the trash. One couldn't even make it through a complete sharpening of my saw before it started clogging up and it was like running it across glass.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Back