Nicholson files are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got 3 files, one for each size of chain 3/8lp, .325, and 3/8 that came in a package with my husky roller guides. they are all over 2 yrs old and they all still cut great (I usually touch up at least every other tank of fuel if not every tank and once when I put the saws away). the file gets back wiped on my shirt (or saw rag) every other tooth. I learned this lesson welding in a machine shop for the last ten years. also cut only on the forward stroke then lift the file on return stroke.

-scott

I have searched a few times recently to find out who makes the Stihl files....no luck, so was just about to order some Vallorbe for the first time.....good job I didnt.
Think I might try the Pferd or maybe Bahco.
Don't dismiss Vallorbe files to quick, if you have used multiple files from different sources and don't like em fair enough. But I've used pretty much all brands and Vallorbe/Stihl files are up there with my favourites. If your ordering by the dozen (best way) & want Pferd, you can choose between two grades...coarse & smooth. Obviously the coarse remove stock fastest and smooth give a better finish. Pferd are top files too.
Don

He must have an Echo........

lmao. Hey Harley, Doctors now have online office visits, why don't you start a Dr. Chainsaw online website? Your input seems pretty much on target for not having on hand access.

He must have an Echo........
I thought everyone used Echo?
65b2114ed369192f409e8b45a1874c07.jpg
0383bf106efdd15669779aa1a6e50cc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Don't dismiss Vallorbe files to quick, if you have used multiple files from different sources and don't like em fair enough. But I've used pretty much all brands and Vallorbe/Stihl files are up there with my favourites. If your ordering by the dozen (best way) & want Pferd, you can choose between two grades...coarse & smooth. Obviously the coarse remove stock fastest and smooth give a better finish. Pferd are top files too.
Don

It was the Stihl 3/8" Pico which did me...they just bend at the handle every time. Never had a problem with the .325 Stihl file....seemed to go on forever with the same file. No tapping, no cleaning and very slow to wear.
Have ordered a couple of Bahco's to try out. I think they are made in Portugal (moved from Sweden). Will get a couple of Pferd and compare them. But I cant use the Vallorbe/Stihl 3/8 Pico.

If you look at files in their box snug together the ends that go into file holders/handles are all slightly different, not perfectly consistent like the working ends.

If you look at files in their box snug together the ends that go into file holders/handles are all slightly different, not perfectly consistent like the working ends.
I dont think the tangs are the problem. New handles with the reverse hammer trick to fit the file and the handle is on there as good as it can be. A mate had the same problem with the Stihl 3/8LP files bending from new with a new handle, so it's not just me being heavy handed. I just think that at this thickness, that particular file size is just too thin for the quality of the steel or the method of hardening. The Nicholson 3/8LP, hasnt bent yet though I can't vouch yet for the longevity of the actual file surface.

I like the Stihl files - I can get a 3pack for a couple of $ at the local hardware store, and I like the vinyl pouches to keep them organized and not banging around against other stuff. I find they cut well and last a good while. I never use a handle as I get more feel of the tool without it - I use a thin old leather glove - so bending tangs has not been an issue. Most of my chain is 3/8 lo pro.

The problem with these discussions on line is that you have no idea what kind of skill or feel someone has. It's quite often the case that when you first start off with a traditional hand tool that you can't make the thing work at all. Like say a window glazing knife or a molding plane. Then you wonder why people were so dumb to use such terrible tools. But when you finally figure out the technique you realize that it works very well, and really only then can you see the difference between good tools and poor ones. Some never have the patience, or maybe don't realize that using the tool isn't supposed to be agony and so don't persist in working out how to do it right.

If the file loads up it was cutting, and it's not the file's fault. Maybe the cut was not a good match for the material being filed - I like double cut for chain steel. It leaves some fine stripes on the edge but those don't slow it down and disappear rapidly with cutting.

Same brand of file, Stihl, same filing technique....never had a problem over 10 years with the thicker .325. Since using the 3/8thLP Stihl they bend every time in the same location and did the same for a for a friend of mine. Either this was a bad batch or Stihl/Vallorbe 3/8LP files are too thin for the quality of steel they use or the tempering. No problem with the Nicholson 3/8LP so no it's unlikely to be poor technique as a 3/8thLP in a Stihl and a Nicholson should be the same thickness. The only possible variable is therefore the steel itself or the tempering.
If a file can't be used with a handle without bending, then it's not fit for the purpose. It's not always operator error or inexperience...quite often these days it's declining standards of manufacturing as the world competes in a race to the bottom to make the cheapest/worst quality products for the biggest profits whilst trading on the reputation of past high quality, which is for the most part, now long gone.

Dermal files are the best I used . And cost the less , spent 60 dollars on a fancy set of double files with real nice handles used it about once . Bought a dermal file for about 15 dollars an never bought anything else after that . I think I tried every file brand name and every way to sharpen a chain .

I've snapped a good few files, the metal seem strong/hard but very brittle. The 5/32 being so thin are easily snapped in half. If trying Pferd, their blue handles are nice, very comfy. They have plain handles or ones with a 30°&35° witness wing.

I've snapped a good few files, the metal seem strong/hard but very brittle. The 5/32 being so thin are easily snapped in half. If trying Pferd, their blue handles are nice, very comfy. They have plain handles or ones with a 30°&35° witness wing.

I've snapped a couple as well and they were 5/32. Brittle is right. I toss it and grab another. I'd rather break a couple than drag metal against metal and get nowhere

Latest posts

Back