Northstar 42 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Anyone have any experence with this model? Its probably over kill, but i was thinking a person could build a 6 or 8 way wedge and really increase production. One thing i dont like about it(other than the price) is that its horizontal only. It does have a log lift though. I really like that the wedge is hydraulicly adjustable height. 18 hp honda:). 6" cylinder. 14 second cycle time. 6500.00:jawdrop:

Im trying to find a way to increase my production. Im using a homemade splitter that works off the hydraulics on my tractor. With a single wedge:(

I have also wondered about this splitter. There is only two reviews on the northern's website , both seem to like it. If you are looking around this is the cheapest way to get in to a commercial size splitter.

Beefie

Anyone have any experence with this model? Its probably over kill, but i was thinking a person could build a 6 or 8 way wedge and really increase production. One thing i dont like about it(other than the price) is that its horizontal only. It does have a log lift though. I really like that the wedge is hydraulicly adjustable height. 18 hp honda:). 6" cylinder. 14 second cycle time. 6500.00:jawdrop:

Im trying to find a way to increase my production. Im using a homemade splitter that works off the hydraulics on my tractor. With a single wedge:(

I wouldnt count against it because its horizontal only.My splitter swings vertical,and the only time I use it vertical is when a huge round flops over making it not worth it to try and stand it up to noodle it.Then I winch it over to the splitter and swing it vertical and bust it up enough to get the pieces up on the horizontal side.It sucks to be working on your knees.
With a log lift, a vertical is in my opinion a waste of time.Dont get me wrong, vertical has its place, just not used often enough to make it a hinging decision when buying a splitter.

Got to agree on the vertical. Hate using mine in vertical. Log lift would be nice. If it was me spending that much money I'd look into a used processor.

There's a review around here somewhere on the next model down. Seemed to be pretty good, with one minor complaint.

As for vertical vs. horizontal, I use my Huskee in vertical most for most of my splitting. Works great for the big rounds. I move them with my 1000 lb capacity hand truck and flop them down on the splitter foot, and go to town.

Works for me.

I wouldnt count against it because its horizontal only.My splitter swings vertical,and the only time I use it vertical is when a huge round flops over making it not worth it to try and stand it up to noodle it.Then I winch it over to the splitter and swing it vertical and bust it up enough to get the pieces up on the horizontal side.It sucks to be working on your knees.
With a log lift, a vertical is in my opinion a waste of time.Dont get me wrong, vertical has its place, just not used often enough to make it a hinging decision when buying a splitter.

You know, I never thought about it like that.If you got a log lift you wouldnt need it to go in vertical position. I worked on my knees all winter with the vertical splitter i got for my tractor and yes,It suck BAD.Expecially with a single wedge and it feels like a 20 second cycle time.:mad:

Just get a Super Splitter and be done. They offer the best production machin for the money.

Scott

Theres no dought the super splitter has the fastest cycle time. I just dont know how well id like wreastling a piece of 24 inch hickory around on it.

I just called my local store to check availability on this unit. They said there having a 10% off sale on saturday.:jawdrop: Im really wanting one now.

I guess I like the vertical position much better than horizontal. If they were easy to pick up I wouldn't want to split them. Log lift and all that stuff is just more work than necessary for me.

We all have different needs. If I was running an indoor wood stove I would probably have a different outlook.

I only split huge chunks and not that many.

Good luck with your choice I think the Northern units look like nice.

:cheers:

I guess I like the vertical position much better than horizontal. If they were easy to pick up I wouldn't want to split them. Log lift and all that stuff is just more work than necessary for me.

We all have different needs. If I was running an indoor wood stove I would probably have a different outlook.

Good luck with your choice I think the Northern units look like nice.

I havent made my mind up on anything yet. I am running a indoor stove so i guess i do have to split smaller than you OWB guys. I kinda got a little firebox to so that makes it even worse. I dont know what i going to do just yet. Kinda hate to spend the money when i got one that works(just slow as crap) but when i get ready to bust some wood, I wanna bust some wood. It seems like it takes forever to bust a cord with what im using now.

I'm still trying to figure out how a 36" round works with a log lift. Once it's split, where do the pieces go?

Yep.

I've got an indoor stove, and I've been splitting bigger lately. 5 inches is small for me these days. I'm getting longer burns and better temperature control.

I worked on my knees all winter with the vertical splitter i got for my tractor and yes,It suck BAD.Expecially with a single wedge and it feels like a 20 second cycle time.:mad:

I only use mine in the vertical position because I have a ruptured disc in my lower back and standing using it horizontal just kills me in a matter of a few
minutes.

What I have started doing is getting the pieces I will split fairly close to the splitter with my handtruck and then I sit on a 5 gal bucket and I can split all day long like that w/o the lower back acting up. I'm only using my upper body to work....that's my strongest part anyway. :)

I even sit on the bucket when I'm bucking up pieces and also when loading the wheelbarrow to go and stack the firewood.

I get some of the strangest looks from people, but that goes away when they see what i can accomplish from that bucket...hehehe..

Take care and seeya!

Jim

this one has to be pretty good.

I have the next step down, the 32 ton one with the log lift. its kinda flimzy for the power it has. but has been real good, split some really nasty knotty crotchy wood with it. even have the I-Beam twisted and bent.

I could never use a vertical one, thats gotta be such a pain in the ass, you have to stand the big pieces up and get them under the wedge and bend a lot. horizontal, just roll it real quick onto the lift and raise it.

That lift arm is so huge on these. Love it for like 24 inch diameter stuff or smaller, split it in half, hold one side up, and push the otherside onto the arm. Never have to bend, it is quite tall, waist height basically for me maybe a little higher, stand straight up most of the time splitting.

yeah real big pieces can be a pain, got it to lift a like 38-40 inch diameter piece of Ash, just gotta let both halves fall on somethin that big.

I do abuse it though I'd say.... the arm's hydraulic cylinder is held on by 4 bolts... lifted up a pretty big piece awhile back, the bolts prolly been wearing down for awhile and all 4 just snapped and the arm and log went down... almost was under the damn arm too... lucky lucky

For that money you'll thank me for telling you to add a grand and buy a nice used Timberwolf TW5 or TW6. They have as much or more power but are 2x as fast. And the resale will be far better.

One thing that I have noticed is the splitters set-up to split horizontal and vertical do not split as well horizontally as the ones set-up to split horizontally alone. It seems there is always something in the way like the axle, tires, tank or the control valve is not located in an ideal spot. It seems there is a significant compromise for the versatility. If your pref. is to split horizontally find a splitter that does that in spades, like the Super Splitter and just deal with the large rounds or noodle them first.

Since I don't have a Super Splitter (YET! We can dream, right?) and since I am 6'6" with a bad back my preference is to split vertically. I do it on my paved driveway with a cushioned rolling stool. I dump all of my rounds in one spot and roll the splitter to them. Then, even with the largest rounds, all you have to do is roll them a couple of feet to the splitter. I keep my elbows on my knees so my back doesn't get stressed. I know everyone has their preferences for a reason, but this seems to work the best and most efficient for me.

My old splitter is horizontal only and it is nice to push the wood through the blade. That way, using a built in table or tray on the splitter you can let most of the wood be pushed into a tractor bucket or wheel barrow. Splitting vertically you have to handle the wood again and actually "chuck" it into a pile, trailer, bucket, or wheel barrow.

Back