not chainsaw related but need a little advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I screwed up and am now dealing with it. He would have been unhappy if I stuck to my guns about doing a proper repair. I would be the crook either way.....charging to much and just wanting to be a parts changer.....or the position I'm in currently. I wasn't going to win this one with this customer.

Wasn't thinking of it like this at the time but in hindsight I'm pretty sure this is the truth of it. Never going to please everyone.....maybe I will learn that one day. Hopeful that a graceful refund approach will cure my problem and earn a good customer....or at least a not so pissed off customer. Thanks @Definitive Dave

Thank you everyone

Nate, trade him out of his mower for a goat (or two) to eat his grass down. Fix the mower correctly and sell it to recoup your cost.

My feelings are he will talk $hit about you regardless of what you do. And the company he keeps likely can't afford the equipment you are selling. But if they can, and you have the best prices in town, you will still get the business, even if they don't like you.

I screwed up and am now dealing with it. He would have been unhappy if I stuck to my guns about doing a proper repair. I would be the crook either way.....charging to much and just wanting to be a parts changer.....or the position I'm in currently. I wasn't going to win this one with this customer.

Wasn't thinking of it like this at the time but in hindsight I'm pretty sure this is the truth of it. Never going to please everyone.....maybe I will learn that one day. Hopeful that a graceful refund approach will cure my problem and earn a good customer....or at least a not so pissed off customer. Thanks @Definitive Dave

Thank you everyone

Do whatever it takes to make him happy IMO. You admittedly screwed up by agreeing to go the cheap route. Partial refund, full refund, put money spent towards a new wheel motor, etc....whatever it takes. In the long run you don't lose much. If you don't satisfy him he will talk shitt about you for years to come. All the people he tells his story to will only hear his side. Some will listen, some may not. But, it could cost you more down the road than you will ever know. Being out $200 now is a small price to pay for a lesson learned. In return, he may (or may not) sing your praises about how you are an honest man with an honest business. I would think of it as $200 spent on advertising. Who knows, he may come back and buy a new mower from you and you can make it back.

My .02...

I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm mostly on board with NOT refunding him the money for the work you did IF you warned him in advance that your efforts MIGHT not solve his problem.

Here is a half-way measure suggestion in case it hasn't been mentioned and you haven't yet dealt with this customer:
Instead of offering a refund, tell him you feel bad that he's upset and you'll offer a store credit of the labor involved in either a proper fix or a new motor when he has his income tax money to spend. That way he has incentive to come back for more business, and you keep all the money you have, and he feels better that you feel bad about the whole situation?

The other thing to keep in mind if you look after him too well word might get around that you are a soft touch and you'll get other people who want a half assed job done knowing that if it ends up going badly you'll look after them. Chances are his circle of friends are similarly broke and if he whines to them about you you won't have to put up with a bunch of moochers trying to get something for nothing.

Well called the customer and offered a refund of about 75% of the bill if he felt that I misrepresented the chances of the repair succeeding. Thanked me for it and said he was going to discuss it with his wife. 8 hours later and I haven't heard back from them. We will see what happens in the next few days.....Will update this if anything happens worth noting.

The other thing to keep in mind if you look after him too well word might get around that you are a soft touch and you'll get other people who want a half assed job done knowing that if it ends up going badly you'll look after them. Chances are his circle of friends are similarly broke and if he whines to them about you you won't have to put up with a bunch of moochers trying to get something for nothing.
I am already a softy for way too many people that come in the shop. If I know they don't have much money I cut them a break....I don't mind helping people out by reducing the labor rate or shorting myself on billable hours when people need it. The ones that really need it are to proud to brag about getting a reduced rate.....charity groups however are not....give to one and first thing that happens is they start coming back looking for more....next thing that happens is every charity or fundraiser that those people are involved with come looking for their piece of the pie. Doesn't take long and every couple weeks someone is in looking for a donation to their cause. I had to quit giving to fundraisers....I picked out 2 that I wanted to help and I give to them with instructions not to tell anyone that I donate to them. As a business....Never Ever Ever Ever buy stuff from the school kids when they are fundraising.....I bought a whole box of candy bars one time from some elementary kids raising money for a field trip....next day I bet there were 20 kids stopped in wanting me to buy candy bars

You're a nice guy, maybe too nice. Maybe hire someone who is more robotic (follows instructions) to handle customer relations enforcing your policies so you don't melt under pressure.

You're a nice guy, maybe too nice. Maybe hire someone who is more robotic (follows instructions) to handle customer relations enforcing your policies so you don't melt under pressure.
I was 75% sure it wouldnt fix it before i even started. He didnt want to spend the money to actually fix it right and i let myself get talked into something that i knew better on. Even though i warned him multiple times that it wouldnt fix it...i still did the job. It was as much my fault as his. He isnt happy so offer a refund basically worded that if i misrepresented the chances of it working or mislead him...come get your money. He hasnt came in yet or called so he knows i warned him and gave him solid advice that he chose to ignore because if he really felt that i just took his money or ripped him off he would have already been here to collect.

Thank you everyone
I'm a happy customer :)
...... so. You got 1 :) :)

I was 75% sure it wouldnt fix it before i even started. He didnt want to spend the money to actually fix it right and i let myself get talked into something that i knew better on. Even though i warned him multiple times that it wouldnt fix it...i still did the job. It was as much my fault as his. He isnt happy so offer a refund basically worded that if i misrepresented the chances of it working or mislead him...come get your money. He hasnt came in yet or called so he knows i warned him and gave him solid advice that he chose to ignore because if he really felt that i just took his money or ripped him off he would have already been here to collect.

Don't be shocked if he comes in a week or more later to collect. Entitled people think the world revolves around them.

The fact that he has to "Talk it over with the wife" is probably going to make everything more difficult. Running stuff by an absentee third party is bad enough, having to run it by the wife? Oh boy

Some time has gone by, I was wondering did he come buy to get "your" money:).
I hope not. A man who works hard deserves to get paid. That being said pretty much every religion teaches that ultimately we get what we have coming.
My bet is wether he came for the money or not you are the better man.

This has apparently been resolved.

I would've offered a refund on the labor and any mark-up on the parts, making it absolutely clear the refund was a one-time deal only. And explain that I would never again agree to "band-aid" repair.

Thanks for the response.
I've heard it said the lessons that cost us the most are the ones we are the slowest to forget. Sometimes it's just how we feel when we go against our own best judgment that helps us to remember certain lesson.
Like I said in my signature I may be slow, but I'm not stupid. I've been know to take a minute to figure ot out, but once I got it I got it lol.
Where abouts are you in ohio, maybe I can send you some business :).
I will be in NW Ohio tomorrow.

South east. 80 miles east of Columbus. 80 miles south of Cleveland

Latest posts

Back