Octane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only ethanol free fuel available in my area is 93 octane, so that makes my decision to run high test easy. If i could by ethanol free 87, i would most likely not bother with high test.

see all I have here is low test non ethanated for ten cent more then ethanated low test. Either way I run non ethanated no matter what corn gas ruins diaphrams in the small engine carbs as well as fuel pressure regulators in riding mowers too . Fuel pumps on riding mowers can run in upwards of a hundred bucks an winter hold up is when they go brittle .

The dealer told you thid due to ethanol in todays fuels . The ethanol draws moisture and isnt any good for the minumum octane needed by the manufacturer to feel comfortable to not see any adverse effects from it . Basically if you use 87 it burns hotter in the combustion chamber then 93 . The manufacturers see that people buy crap mix oil and if the ethanol in the fuel draws moisture that can cause scoring easily in combination. The fuel companys add ethanol to fuel to increase its octane from 84 octane to get it to 87 nowadays but if it phase seperates it will go back to 84 and be lower quality then manufacturers like , combine that with poor mix and the epa saying less mix in the air then you have problems . Just use a high quality synthetic and make sure you use a air tight container combined with no longer then thirty days storage and you should be fine . I buy non ethanol fuel and high quality synthetic mix oil for better dispersion throughout the fuel.

Thanks! I knew enough to buy only top shelf oil mix. Other than labels, what exactly should I look for on my oil container?

Thanks! I knew enough to buy only top shelf oil mix. Other than labels, what exactly should I look for on my oil container?

A brand name ! Never mind the cheap "premium" oil from Walmart. Buy oil from a company that manufactures oil. And ditto on the outboard oil, it's a no-no ! Your oil MUST be made for air-cooled 2 strokes.

And ditto on the octane on certain engines causing issues. I had a customer with a pontoon boat, with a 50 Honda 4-stroke (carb) on it, it would stall when going from forward/reverse/forward, idled badly. We connected our 87 octane tank to it and it ran and idled perfect. Back to his built-in tank, and it'd stall again and idle rough and very low.

Once we spoke to him afterwards, he admitted to using premium gas (he was quite wealthy and money was no object) in everything he owned. Well that's fine, here's your bill. The owner's manual (and also clearly marked on the motor) indicates that fuel with octane in excess of 87 was NOT recommended. Have a nice day sir !

A brand name ! Never mind the cheap "premium" oil from Walmart. Buy oil from a company that manufactures oil. And ditto on the outboard oil, it's a no-no ! Your oil MUST be made for air-cooled 2 strokes.

And ditto on the octane on certain engines causing issues. I had a customer with a pontoon boat, with a 50 Honda 4-stroke (carb) on it, it would stall when going from forward/reverse/forward, idled badly. We connected our 87 octane tank to it and it ran and idled perfect. Back to his built-in tank, and it'd stall again and idle rough and very low.

Once we spoke to him afterwards, he admitted to using premium gas (he was quite wealthy and money was no object) in everything he owned. Well that's fine, here's your bill. The owner's manual (and also clearly marked on the motor) indicates that fuel with octane in excess of 87 was NOT recommended. Have a nice day sir !

Thanks! By brand-name I meant like "Husqvarna" or "Stihl" flavor oil. Is there a "best" oil that is available nationally? I heard a rumor years back that the oil in the first tank of fuel in a Husky or a Jonsey HAD to be distributed by that manufacturer as it dyed the engine; if not, no warranty. Don't know if this was an urban legend.

I have tried 2 tanks of 91 octane ethanol free gas in my truck and I hate it.
I will take the cheap stuff with the better mileage. :msp_unsure:

I also bought two 5 gallon cans to run in everything else around the house.
The verdict is still out on that. I bought 2 cans of tru fuel to fill the tanks of
my saws and weed eater. They get ran little over the summer so this is just
a test. I have noticed no difference in the saws, weedeater, lawn tractor, tiller
or power washer yet.

I'm just the casual homeowner so I'm the one whole keeps mixed fuel sitting around for 6 months at a time....:laugh:

Frankly I buy the 93 high test cause it is the only fuel I can get that doesn't have ethanol in it. Add in some Stabil into the larger can and then mix a gallon or so in my smaller can at somewhere under 50:1. So far it works well for me. When I run out of non mixed fuel I just used the left over mix in the push mower and buy a couple of fresh gallons.

I'll put in my 2 cents.

I buy the 89 since Stihl recommends it in my saw. I also add stabilizer as well as the normal 2-cycle mix. I mix 40:1 which may be a little richer than the saw calls for, but worst case, I have to clean the screen a little more often.

Gas loses octane over time, so I figure worst case, it drops down to the cheap gas level of octane after a little while. I don't use enough fuel for it to be that much of a $$$ difference.

If you're using lots of fuel, the cheap gas is probably fine. You'll have to figure out what works for you, every ones situation is different.

Steelership told me to use 91 octane. I run the oil he sells , either Jonsered or Echo with the hi-test fuel. I do throw ethanol shield in my fuel cans, both the fuel mix as well as my straight gas. I buy my ethanol shield from the steelership also.

What's your guys opinion on opti-2 oil for 2 stroke engines?

Oh and nice site you guys have here I've been lurking around learning a TON because I wanted to buy a saw. The mods talk has already given me a bad itch, too bad I bought my saw already modded lol.

some of my saws are modded so i just get 92 pump gas ,i see lot of people dump the gas if its gonna sit a couple weeks ,i have 8 work saws,which is more than i really need for a homeowner cleaning property up or firewooding ,so the gas sits in a lot of them till i get a chance to use them again ,ive had some sit 6 or more months and the fuel was fine,i wonder if the stihl oil has some kind of fuel stabilizers in it ? as for my stock saws theres no difference in performance 87 vs 92 octane due to the compresion isnt high enough to matter .

If you dont run your saw everyday and can afford it try some trufuel. Its a premixed fuel 50:1 or 40:1 that is high octane, ethanol free and has a long shelf life as to not crud your saws up. I get mine from ACE hardware. After trying this stuff ill never go back to regular gasoline ever again, it burns very clean as well. Like i said, if your not using saws everyday this is the stuff to use, not very economical for everyday use. Good luck.

I own several gas-powered tools like chainsaws, trimmers, etc. I run all of them with a 50:1 oil mix. I use 91-93 octane gas with Sta-bil, and run everything at least once a month. They all start reliably and run flawlessly. I think the Sta-bil has a lot to do with; that is very good stuff.

Latest posts

Back