Oil used in VP premix fuel bottles?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron660

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently purchased a bottle of two-cycle SEF/VP 94 octane premixed fuel. Whatever oil they use must be quality due to the JASO-FD rating. Does anyone know what type of 2-cycle oil they use in their premix cans? A VP rep. wouldn't disclose it.

Thanks KenJax. Looks like a good one to mix myself. Any experience with the Motul 800?

I use 800 2T or Maxima K2. The 800 is a double ester oil and keeps power valves cleaner than the 710 does,but thats not an issue with OPE.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

Think I'll go with the 800. The Motul site says the 710 is JASO-FD and for the 800 says "Exceeds all Standards"! Also the 800 has a higher flash point if that means anything.

The 710 is good stuff. I ran 5 gallons of mix with it and it left no deposits and the bottom end was nice and oily with 40:1. I'm going to try the 800 since t was on sale online this past week cheaper than maxima K2.

Thanks KenJax. Looks like a good one to mix myself. Any experience with the Motul 800?
The 710 is good stuff. I ran 5 gallons of mix with it and it left no deposits and the bottom end was nice and oily with 40:1. I'm going to try the 800 since t was on sale online this past week cheaper than maxima K2.
Motul 710 & 800 are the same except 800 has an additive to keep the power valve free for M/C use. if the 800 is cheaper than 710 thats the way to go. Normal prices here 710 is cheaper so we use that. info via Motul rep

The flash point is different on them also. Not sure if that's part f the additive or not.

Would you guy's recommend the VP premix over the Stihl/Husqvarna/Trufuel mix? I've used the Stihl and TruFuel in the past but picked up the VP from baileys during a special offer. I always store my saws with the canned premix to prevent ethanol issues.

I noticed that the Stihl/Husqvarna/TruFuel cans are identical with different labeling. I'm guessing it's bottled at the same factory using different oils depending on the brand. The VP is in a different can and leads me to believe it's bottled elsewhere.

Halligan, I would choose the VP over the Stihl due to the better quality oil used. Just like Kenjax said earlier....VP uses Motul which is JASO-FD certified (highest performance rating). Stihl uses their HP Ultra oil which is JASO-FB certified.

Halligan, I would choose the VP over the Stihl due to the better quality oil used. Just like Kenjax said earlier....VP uses Motul which is JASO-FD certified (highest performance rating). Stihl uses their HP Ultra oil which is JASO-FB certified.

OK thanks.

Buy the 4 cycle Tru-Fuel and mix whatever oil you want in it

If the straight truefuel is cheaper then mixing yourself is a good idea. If it's the same price then you end up spending more adding the oil of your choice. I've been running the VP and still have 6 more can's and I'll likely just order more VP when needed.

As a wood burner cutting for my supply and my mothers I don't cut daily or even weakly. When something comes along I fire up the saw's and go to it. Some job's won't even burn a tank of fuel which is why I like the premix. I don't have to keep dumping gas out a retreating with canned fuel for storage.

I started cutting the top out of a red oak today and only burned a little more than one tank in my 346 and a 1/2 tank in the 372. This oak is a big tree though and when I get into the trunk the 372 will be running a lot so I'll just run plain old gas with Stihl Ultra to save some $$$.

If given the option which VP would you run the 40:1 or 50:1 mix? When mixing up regular gasoline I always stop at around 9/10ths of a gallon so I run a little richer than 50:1. Is it worth running the 40:1 canned fuel? Would that warrant a card adjustment to run at 40:1?

For the record I've been running 50:1 canned fuel.

Yeah true if you gotta buy the oil bit if you already have oil you can use it up.

How much fuel do you use? It would be cheaper to buy a 5 gallon pail of VP T4 93 octane fuel for about $60 and add a 5 gallon bottle of oil to it. For about $70 you have 5 gallons of it instead of about $150 for 5 gallons buying it by the can.

Back