old Canadian magnesium SKIL running.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FATGUY

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After yesterdays post of the fuel line I thought this old beauty may be too far gone. NOT !!!!! After a new fuel line, filter, can of carb cleaner, 1/2 a can of layout fluid remover (ran out of carb cleaner), some simple green and a little patience IT IS RUNNING !!!!!

This saw (and a bunch more) were given to me by my dad last winter. A property he bought had a bunch of old saws which he gave me.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=84778

Anyhow, this puppy came in the factory crate it was shipped to the dealer in. The previous owner used it with the 16 inch bar it came with. However in the crate was also an instruction manual that includes an IPL. A few chains, and a BRAND NEW 20" bar and chain. I test cut with the 16" but put the new 20" for the pics

specs are
52mm bore X 33mm stroke =69 cc (4.2 cid)

enough yapping, here are the pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice looking saw. The gold color reminds me of Olds 350 V8 engine paint. The bar that is on the saw in the first pic is an old style Oregon replaceable tip bar. I've got one that I need to find a replacement 3/8 tip for. You might want to save the Skil labeled bars for display purposes since I doubt that they are available any more and run generic Oregon or what ever brand floats your boat. I bet that a previous owner made that storage box. Once upon a time folks used to make things out of wood. How does it sound? :chainsaw:

my buddy has a '71 cutlass supreme with a 350 rocket, if memory serves me correct it is gold. The saw sounds pretty good. It's not a high revving saw but it sounds good when you're pushing it in the wood. I'l definately not run it with those bars.

That is a slick looking machine( and in the original crate too)! Nice work!

Nice looking old saw you got there Nick. I wish my 1629 looked as good but I did get it for free, it took some cleaning up and runs real good. The rear handle is a bit uncomfortable on mine as it is hollow underneath.
Pioneerguy600

Nice looking old saw you got there Nick. I wish my 1629 looked as good but I did get it for free, it took some cleaning up and runs real good. The rear handle is a bit uncomfortable on mine as it is hollow underneath.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry! After reading your post, I went and looked at mine. It's rear handle is hollow as well but it has a thick rubber sleever over it. I haven't run it for more than a few minutes so I'm not sure how comfortable it is. BTW, what B/C combo do you run?

Thanks Jerry! After reading your post, I went and looked at mine. It's rear handle is hollow as well but it has a thick rubber sleever over it. I haven't run it for more than a few minutes so I'm not sure how comfortable it is. BTW, what B/C combo do you run?

I would have to check on to see the bar number, its not a saw I use a lot but the bar and chain came on a new Echo CS670. I parted the saw down and repaired a couple of other saws with the parts but kept the new bar and chain for myself. It is a 20 " bar with 3/8 chisel and .050 ga. Do you need a bar mount number, I have the Oregon chain and bar catalogue to look up their numbers with.
Pioneerguy600

Did I mention my birthday is coming up?

I think there was an attempt to make the saw look futuristic. The bar is stamped 1971, if this is the case, it's as old as I am (and in far better shape)

It does have that Star Trek look to it.

Which reminds me...how was the convention?

if I still have it, I'll bring it to the GTG. It's going on Ebay to fund a couple of resto projects I'm lining up. I love all saws, old and new. BTW Andy, LOL, I'll be happy to trade straight up for your stock 7900
:ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back