Opinion on MS260/PP VS 346XP/PP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGBORE577

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I posted a while back about ending up with my new MS440 w/28" ES bar and chain for $449.00 OTD. Well, now that I had a new big saw (For my needs.) I decided to get a new MS260 for the smaller work. However, after discovering this site and reading all the varied opinions, I'm not sure if I should have gone with the 346XP. First let me mention, I was basing this on either being power ported. Basically, from what I gather, is they are fairly close in stock form. However, as power ported, the 346xp is the clear victor? I'd probably have Dan Henry do the work. I got a half way descent deal on the 260 so, selling it at this time shouldn't be a big set back. I know having two saws that could interchange bar/chain is a bonus but really isn't all that important to me because of the difference in their sizes and how they'd be used.
Any opinions would be appreciated. No, I'm not a proffesional logger. I just like top notch equipment. Perhaps that's why my diesel is 500HP+, I certainly don't need it but, it makes the driving a little more enjoyable. It's the same logic I believe I'm using on my saw choices. At least, it works for me!
Jay
PS; You guys, quit picking on sap. Your're like cats playing with a tin foil ball and he isn't much of a match.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I'd keep the 260 even if the 346 was the clear victor as a ported saw. By sticking with one brand you only have to hit up one dealer for parts and accessories. Having to drive to two or more different shops to find parts for a bunch of saws of different manufacturer is an annoying waste of time.

If you have to have a PP 346, PM Markymark. He still may have his for sale. The Ad is still up in the trading post.

Last edited:
I have a 346 Dan modified as well as a 260 Pro which I opened the muffler up on a bit. Both are nice saws which run well. The PP346 is intense, loud, and seems significantly quicker than the 260 although I havn't made any timed cuts will similar chains to show an objective comparison. If I want to cut up alot of 12" and smaller diameter wood quickly, the 346 is the saw I grab. Based on comments read on Arborist Site, I believe the 346 is an easier design to get more more power out of until you are making modifications for a full out race saw where the breathing limitations of the 260 are then removed and the additional displacement becomes an advantage.

Just have the 260 modded, it'll cut great...maybe by Dave Neiger, in the eastern US and a sponsor here.....Many here reported less than stellar work from Dan. The two he did for me are OK, nothing special, though.

Thanks, GAPULPER, informative reply. For some sick reason, I'm kind of partial to "loud and intense"! Must be from all that racing during the formative years:^)

Latest posts

Back