Opinions on saws in the $400-450 range.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the auto tune when it worked but the 545 developed a hesitation which was very annoying. No problems on a standard carb echo :)

I consider it a test because I was actually pushing pretty damn hard on it for a 50cc saw in a 20" log buried. This is red oak so hard it throws sparks on a brand new chain and oiler turned all the way up. White oak is worse as well. Not saying a Cs 490 is the most amazing 50cc saw out there but I'd say it compares pretty well to the husqvarna 545 which costs 180$ more and is very simular in power. It's definately not 180$ better saw. The echo actually noodles way better than the 545 which always clogged up. It's got a roller chain catcher, a lighter weight and is built better IMO.
I guess things must vary between regions. I cut a fair amount of red and white oak, and while it varies in density & hardness I've not experienced any that was much of a challenge - even long dead stuff. If it was throwing sparks I'd be looking for embedded metal or some bar & chain problem. I find white ash is often much harder.

If I work until it is dark seeing some sparks doesn't alarm me. If it is broad daylight that is another matter. It might not be that alarming, perhaps there is a portion of the bar with a thin burr. I am not sure the mechanics of making a spark (no debris in the cut) would depend on the species. Extinguishing the spark before seen seems sensible to have bearing. I am thinking the spark is metallic not a burning ember/chip of wood.

Just looking at the 2 saws side by side, my impression is if I had to buy one to use every day for a living, I would pick the 620P. It looks to be more robust in its build and should be able to handle heavier use. But for my use, the 590 would be better. There is no way I am going to wear out a 590 let alone a 620P.
The only thing I want to add. Is there's a huge price difference between a 590 and 620!

Well whatever saw I end up with I will try to shoot a vid of it cutting some hedge apple. I know that stuff is hard.
I have cut a lot of hedge. Just make sure you keep your chain sharp

I guess things must vary between regions. I cut a fair amount of red and white oak, and while it varies in density & hardness I've not experienced any that was much of a challenge - even long dead stuff. If it was throwing sparks I'd be looking for embedded metal or some bar & chain problem. I find white ash is often much harder.
It probably does vary between regions and forests. A 8" red oak in the forest that I cut was over 70 years old. Hard as a damn rock.

Your really saying 10 year oak dried out white oak doesn't cut hard, I cut a lot and will disagree. Steve

What I am looking for is a good medium duty saw. Like many others, I'm not professional just another home owner firewood collector/property improvement guy. I would like a saw that can run a 16-24" bar to cut anything from pine to hedge apple. I have looked around and found these saws and would like to know any pros and cons on them. Feel free to add any other suggestions.

Echo CS590
Husqvarna 455/Jonsered CS2255
Dolmar 510A
Shindawa 491S
Still MS270

Only brand I don't have a local dealer for is the Dolmar. All run 400 to 450 locally.
Hey GeorgiaVol, You certainly are getting the pros, cons, and suggestions.;)

You never know what's gonna set these crazies off.

But a good bunch of crazies I must add.:D

I agree, I have had a lot of fun collecting, taking apart and learning about these saws. This purchase will be my first professional/semi-professional saw. I have 12 other saws that I have collected to either rebuild or just use until I find something better.

I have only run one of the saws on your list and that is the 590. It should do what you want especially if you have to noodle some of your wood. For those who use the 455/2255 saws, the owners seem to be pleased with their ease of starting and dependability. From your list, I would choose either the 590 or the 455/2255.

I've seen sparks fly in the daylight while cutting dead hedge limbs. And I have cut dead standing, dry white oak that was hard as marble. That stuff wrecked chains.

Thread drift but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents from personal experience...

Latest posts

Back