Opinions on saws in the $400-450 range.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What I am looking for is a good medium duty saw. Like many others, I'm not professional just another home owner firewood collector/property improvement guy. I would like a saw that can run a 16-24" bar to cut anything from pine to hedge apple. I have looked around and found these saws and would like to know any pros and cons on them. Feel free to add any other suggestions.

Echo CS590
Husqvarna 455/Jonsered CS2255
Dolmar 510A
Shindawa 491S
Still MS270

Only brand I don't have a local dealer for is the Dolmar. All run 400 to 450 locally.

I am really leaning to the Echo. I have had real good service from my trimmer and pole saw, but just because they make a good trimmer doesn't mean they make a good saw. That's why I am asking for opinions. The CS590 also has really good reviews online, but I value more experienced opinions from this site a lot more. Plus you guys have never steered me wrong before.

I am really leaning to the Echo. I have had real good service from my trimmer and pole saw, but just because they make a good trimmer doesn't mean they make a good saw. That's why I am asking for opinions. The CS590 also has really good reviews online, but I value more experienced opinions from this site a lot more. Plus you guys have never steered me wrong before.
Out of your choices tossed up, CS-590 Timberwolf. I can get them for $360 at HD with my 10% mil discount. If you know anyone who's active or retired, there's your ticket for one helluva saw price-wise.

My dealer has an Echo sale every now and then for 20% off. And he matched HD prices. That's how I got my pole saw. Saved nearly $150 on that. I just didn't know how it stacked up against other similar prices/sized saws.

Some of the diehard Husky or Stihl guys who have never run an Echo bash them but don't be fooled...Echo makes a fine product and I would not hesitate to own one(I do, actually). Out of all my equipment, the Echo is without a doubt the most reliable and easy starting of the bunch. And I have heard the 590 is a pretty impressive saw...especially for the price. The power to weight may not be quite what the "big two" offer in their pro line of saws...but a mag cased saw with plenty enough power to bury a 20" bar for less than $400 is hard to beat.

The 590 is a great saw even at full retail. Iv posted these photos other places but here goes. My 590 is bone stock down to the limit caps dealer tuned and replaced caps.IMG_20160531_144124.jpg IMG_20160531_144249.jpg IMG_20151025_130715.jpgtop picture is maple,middle is noodling up rounds from the same tree saw clears noodles no problem. Bottom is 1 of 4 oaks I bucked that day 20" bar buried most of the day. Saw handles the 20" no problem. I'm sure other saws on the list are good but these are some of my experiences with the 590.

OP...you're not gonna find a better bang for the buck, buying new. Sure you can take that same money and end up with a big cc, older used saw, regardless of mfg, from the Trading Post, or classifieds somewhere. But if you're looking new, it's a no-brainer. Watch some of the vids on here with some of these guys doing just muff mods and a retune...turns that Timberwolf into one full grown, big, badass Wolf.

OP...you're not gonna find a better bang for the buck, buying new. Sure you can take that same money and end up with a big cc, older used saw, regardless of mfg, from the Trading Post, or classifieds somewhere. But if you're looking new, it's a no-brainer. Watch some of the vids on here with some of these guys doing just muff mods and a retune...turns that Timberwolf into one full grown, big, badass wolf.

Hell yes it does

You need a ps421 new and used 372xp! 16 on the dolmar and 24 on the 372

Back