Opinions on saws in the $400-450 range.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need a ps421 new and used 372xp! 16 on the dolmar and 24 on the 372

Don't need a multi saw setup. I have that now. I want a pretty much do anything saw. Any bigger than a 24" bar and I have a Pioneer P41 or my Homelite 1050. Any smaller and I will just use the old husqvarna 136 or a battery powered saw. Have plenty of other hobby or project saws, but none I really like to depend on.

Well the plan is to buy it this winter. I thought the research to find which saw would be best would have taken longer. But at least now I know which one is clearly in front. Still have plenty of time to try a few out maybe. Summer is more of my lawn care season. Will do a lot more wood cutting in the fall and winter.

I'd like to run either one of those saws. Sadly the only husky dealer around is Lowes. At the moment I'm hopeing to get one of the Home Depot 6400s. Always wanted a 7900 that would get me one step closer.

Are the Dollar 6100, husqvarna 545 & 555 able to run a 24" bar? I have heard the Echo does run the bar, at least with a mm it does. The primary bar would be the 20" but would like the ability to run the larger bar on occasion.

I have a friend that is running a 24" bar with skip chain on his cs-590 and it pulls it just fine. Thats in softer wood though, pine and fir.
Im sure it would still do ok in harder wood especially since you wont be running the 24" setup much.

The last I remember the echo lists 18", 20" and 24" bar options for the 590.

My vote is you get a 590.

I have the 6100 and have ran a 590. The 590 is great for $400 but the 6100 is better in every way.
I have no experience with the 6100.
Brad think 5105 bigger more refined and distinguished bigger brother that just got back from some special forces top secret program .
I have ran a 24" buried in oak, elm, hickory with out ever missing a beat. I even noodle with the 24" in the same wood. Oils it fine and I can not tell any difference power wise between the 20" and 24"
With all that said for $400 the 590 is a great saw that will serve many well.

CliffR posted somewhere he ran a 30" or there about husky bar with skip on his 600p for some stumps in a pinch and it oiled fine. Enough bar oil will never be a problem. Only saw iv seen put out more oil is the 5020 I bought off CL to learn about tuneing. In my opinion its another good saw in the bang for your buck catagory.

Latest posts

Back