Opinions on saws in the $400-450 range.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen sparks fly in the daylight while cutting dead hedge limbs. And I have cut dead standing, dry white oak that was hard as marble. That stuff wrecked chains.

Thread drift but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents from personal experience...
I cut a lot of white & red oak, Hickory, elm and hedge. I have seen a spark other two myself. Some trees are harder then others just for where they grew at.

I can only think of three trees that would need a bar bigger than a 20. A cedar and 2 Pine trees. And they are not a priority to me. Everything else is in the 16 to 20 inch range.
The trees have a larger diametre than 38 inches? And even then with correct felling technique even larger diametre trees can easily be felled. But then again I see it quite often for members here as an excuse to buy something bigger than invest into correct technique.

The trees have a larger diametre than 38 inches? And even then with correct felling technique even larger diametre trees can easily be felled. But then again I see it quite often for members here as an excuse to buy something bigger than invest into correct technique.

Add to that the percentage of those large trees that have rot in the middle.

Add to that the percentage of those large trees that have rot in the middle.
LOL - I have a 5' diameter catawba that could be felled with my 12" 32cc Mac as it is entirely hollow. It would surely be interesting to try and direct the fall though!

I have felled 44+ in cottonwoods (not hollow) with a 24" bar on the 6100. I find it easier then pulling out the 056 super with a 36 " bar. Funny thing I did use the o56 to buck it lol.
I am looking hard at that CS 620PW. I like the full wrap handle.
I got a wrap handle for the 6100 and at times it is very convenient other times it is just there, and a few times it is in the way. Lol a wrap handle is personal preference .
Just an FYI I think @fordf150 website has an 6100 wrap version for $569 he also carries echoes and has owned and ran both a 620 and 6100 if you are thinking that direction he would be a good guy to talk to.

Back