Opinions Wanted - Bigger Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js9088

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for opinions for a new "big" saw for me. Primarily cut firewood and other farm chores like hedge posts, etc. Rarely if ever would need more than a 25" bar. Cut almost exclusively hardwood (hedge, locust, oak, mulberry).

I currently have a 026 Pro that is in good shape and a 362CM that is almost new. I admit this is more of a "want" than a need as the 362 will realistically do anything I need. I do want to stick with Stihl to keep bars/chains interchangeable. I am considering a 441CM (if I can find one), a 461 and a 661CM. I like the 441CM the best but wonder if it is enough bigger than the 362 to justify a third saw and the expense.

Thoughts welcome.

My 029 Super cut a lot of wood and I used it for many years, and the only problem I ever had was having to replace the fuel line one time. It's slow and heavy for its size, though, and the vibes are horrible. I think my favorite Stihl is a 440 or 044 for bars 20-28". If you're buying new, the 461 is the one to get.

I own a 441CM with 25 inch bar. Plenty fast through red and white oak. Just recently finished up a pile of 40 logs the contractor left me. They were cut 2 years ago and some were as large as 20 inches in diameter. Zipped right through everything.
Saw is heavy. If I try to start it according to instructions it will start 3rd or 4th pull when cold. After that, 1 pull. Doesnt use much bar oil, maybe a 1/2 tank per tank of fuel.

Never had any issues with it. But disappointed when my Stihl dealer told me they quit making it and parts are hard to find.

I'm not a "forum expert" but I can give you my opinion. I used to do grading work for a living and I ran a saw everyday. Now it's not my day job and I would consider myself more of a hobbyist. I ended up picking up a woodmizer LT40 to saw my own lumber and have built a couple barns on the family farm.

I currently own:
MS 201T
MS 261
2- MS261C
2) MS361
MS362
2) MS362C
2) MS461

I just recently sold a nice MS441 and MS660.

I like all of them but my favorite two are the MS261C and the 046. The 046 is an older dual port version. I ran it side by side with the MS660. With a 32" bar I didn't see enough difference in cutting speed to be worth the size/ weight. I did like the MS441. Couldn't really knock the saw, but I liked the 046 and MS461s better.

Based on what you described I would recommend the MS461.

You will see a difference between the MS362C and a MS461

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow I typed that between a couple phone calls. 7 people posted in the time I was typing. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After owning my first 066, I never ran any model I liked better for big wood say about 25" diameter and up. Had an 046, was nice but I liked the 044 for most wood until it got big and I would as soon just go up to the 660 magnum I have now and skip the 046. I expect the 046 was near the same speed as an 066 up to near 25" wood,but the power of the 660 I like better. I never ran the 461 or 661 so don't know how they compare. Had a 395xp a short time, ran a 385xp a fair share but I like the 660 mag better for what I do. If you can handle it, I think you'd like bigger better also.

I was in your same position a year or so ago....I ended up pulling the trigger on a 461, I couldn't be happier....with a 25" bar, no hardwood will slow her down!!!!

I had a 362, 2012 standard carb....I also have a 024, 026, and 461....I always have a variety of clamshells as I rebuild and sell them......the 362 was dead realiable, but once I got the 461 I didn't use it hardly at all....I just sold the 362 last week.......

If you are needing a 25" or bigger bar quite frequently, get the 461, it will make your life a lot easier....I use mine anytime the wood gets to 20" or bigger......and you will notice a big difference in the 362 and the 461, a lot more torque!!!

the 362 was dead realiable, but once I got the 461 I didn't use it hardly at all....I just sold the 362 last week.......

what did you get for the ms362? I have one for sale that I am about to sell. It looks like this, not sure what I am looking at for a good price though..

IMAG1116.jpg

I sold mine for $600 with a 25" like new stihl bar, and a like new 20 Oregon bar and chain....mine was in good shape and still had the bar code sticker by the bumper spikes....

I own a 441CM with 25 inch bar. Plenty fast through red and white oak. Just recently finished up a pile of 40 logs the contractor left me. They were cut 2 years ago and some were as large as 20 inches in diameter. Zipped right through everything.
Saw is heavy. If I try to start it according to instructions it will start 3rd or 4th pull when cold. After that, 1 pull. Doesnt use much bar oil, maybe a 1/2 tank per tank of fuel.

Never had any issues with it. But disappointed when my Stihl dealer told me they quit making it and parts are hard to find.

441cm is still a current model and no shortage of parts. :confused:

Latest posts

Back