Oregon chain breakage !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks to me like that particular drive link missed the heat treating process somehow. I'm thinking this because the link is totally silver, and it pulled apart rather than cracking and breaking.

Hello Wicked500R
I'm sorry to hear you have had a problem with a loop of chain.
I would like to examine it.
If you will send it to me I will do that.
I will provide a replacement and cover shipping costs.
I will send you a private message with specifics.
Thanks,
Oregon Engineer
Don't get no better than that.

I'll take a picture tomorrow when I take it apart again. I have been running other chains on it since then without a problem......

Hello Wicked500R
I'm sorry to hear you have had a problem with a loop of chain.
I would like to examine it.
If you will send it to me I will do that.
I will provide a replacement and cover shipping costs.
I will send you a private message with specifics.
Thanks,
Oregon Engineer

Top notch!+1 Please post your findings too. Will be interesting to see just what caused the breakage.

still waiting for the picture, you had your camera out

Here are your pics... I assume this sprocket is reversible. One side of the drive looks untouched. The other side shows slight wear but nothing I would say is abnormal. These are tough pictures to take.
IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Well, this is my first time using this drive setup. IF this is reversible... I still have one drive side untouched. Is it reversible???

That rim is wore the **** out. No ifs, ands or buts. A new chain should not be riding on that, or a used one....

They are cheap, get a few next time your at the saw shop.:cheers:

That rim is wore the **** out. No ifs, ands or buts. A new chain should not be riding on that, or a used one....

They are cheap, get a few next time your at the saw shop.:cheers:

Is it common practice to replace the sprocket when a new chain is needed? (assuming one chain is used until it can no longer be sharpened) Or is that overkill?

Is it common practice to replace the sprocket when a new chain is needed? (assuming one chain is used until it can no longer be sharpened) Or is that overkill?

I have seen rims good after 2 chains have been used up(no more cutter to sharpen). Depends on the user and if they like a sharp chain. I have also seen cheap rims done after 1 chain. I just use good judgement when looking at them. A new chain on a worn rim will cause the chain to wear faster. Like I said they are cheap, buy 2-3 at a time. If that doesn't make any sense, post a pic of your rim, we will judge.:D

Please elaborate on what you see Mr. Chain Pro....lol I seen those race chains you make...lol

Sorry if I came off as a smart-allek, it's just my nature.
I generally change the sprocket after a couple of chains, sometimes 3. But it all depends on the condition of the sprocket. I don't really go by how many chains it has worn out. If the chain has worn into the edge of the sprocket much at all, I change it (they're cheap). The more the sprocket wears, the harder it is on the bottom of the (body/chasi) pre-sets and tie straps of the chain. Putting abnormal wear on the bottom of the chain will in turn prematuraly wear the bar rails.
I had a guy working for me that ran a sprocket so long that it bound the chain and split the sprocket in two (First time I'd ever seen that). He kept saying that his bars were crap.:laugh:

Andy

Sorry if I came off as a smart-allek, it's just my nature.
I generally change the sprocket after a couple of chains, sometimes 3. But it all depends on the condition of the sprocket. I don't really go by how many chains it has worn out. If the chain has worn into the edge of the sprocket much at all, I change it (they're cheap). The more the sprocket wears, the harder it is on the bottom of the (body/chasi) pre-sets and tie straps of the chain. Putting abnormal wear on the bottom of the chain will in turn prematuraly wear the bar rails.
I had a guy working for me that ran a sprocket so long that it bound the chain and split the sprocket in two (First time I'd ever seen that). He kept saying that his bars were crap.:laugh:

Andy

No need to be sorry. I didn't think you were being a smart allek. I was just assuming that you seen something other's have not. I was looking at the almost new 24" Tsumura/Total bar earlier and noticed that it had some wear on the rails...enough for me to say whoa! I only made like 2 light duty cuts with it to play around and then the stump that snapped the chain.... Well... what you just said explains that. Thanks! Like I said, I was going to install a new sprocket to run the new chain... but it didn't make it that far...lol

Back