( Part 2 siezures) Oil Ratio and Fuel Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siezed a saw on what fuel and oil ratio

• 87 Octane

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • 89 Octane

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 91-93 Octane

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Priemium gas over 93 Octane

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Avgas or other Race Type Fuel

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 20:1

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 24:1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 32:1

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • 40:1

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • 50:1

Votes: 28 60.9%

• Total voters

timberwolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For those who have siezed up a saw or taken out a jug and piston what fuel and oil mixture were you using?

Vote for one fuel type and mix ratio, Keep in mind american Octane numbers as Europ and other places rate octane differently.

Maybe use the "Other Fuel" for stuff like C12 or some 100 octane stuff from the race track, but also alkylate, or if anyone is using E80 or E100...

nice poll but your not going to blow up a saw on 20.1 or 50.1. or 87 or race gas. you are more likey to blow up a saw with a air leak. not 20.1 or 50.1.

Lets not jump to conclusions, I know with an air leak or displaced piston pin clip it won't matter what oil or fuel was used it is going to go bad...

Good thread, I'm Interested to see how this turns out. The only saw I've really blown up was a "race'' setup, and I was playing with ignition timing. I'm not going to vote because I know it was not related to fuel.

Great Idea TW!

You can't draw that many conclusions from this poll. If all saw users used (say) 40:1, 87 Octane, then all saw seizures would happen for these mixes. Does that mean the mix is bad? Of course not, it means that some saws are going to fail anyway.

The poll needs to be balanced with "What Mix Do You Use?" - regardless of whether you have seized a saw. Of course, the people who have seized a saw are more likely to respond to the thread....and certain ratios may be favoured by pros who use their kit harder.

That said, its a fun poll! (Should be some good stories....).

For the record, I use 40:1, 97 Octane (European petrol) and have never seized a saw...

Edit: ARRGH - just seen the other poll! Sorry....!

Last edited:
Any stories on the 32:1 melt downs?

Noticed On the other poll only one person posted using 32;1, and that was me. Maybe the folks that have had 32;1 failures don't use 32:1 any longer, or did not fill in the other poll?

Any stories on the 32:1 melt downs?

Noticed On the other poll only one person posted using 32;1, and that was me. Maybe the folks that have had 32;1 failures don't use 32:1 any longer, or did not fill in the other poll?

Well, I don't have a 32:1 story, but I have a 20:1 meltdown story. Not on a saw though, so it may not count. My old 73 Suzuki 400 twin snowmobile. I was a teenager, had her running great. So great she was obviously on the verge - that fine line between perfect and too lean. Well, WOT down a long straightaway she lost power, my stomach sank. Winter was almost over, ended up selling it for parts - think I got $500 or something out of it. Then I bought a truck.

Great poll!! I find it interesting all 5 so far are 50:1. Maybe 40:1 is cheap insurance?:chainsaw:
I would venture to guess that since this mixture is bottled by saw manufacturers these would be most commonly used so will automatically show disproportion of blow ups. Would be good to have in the poll how many people use 50:1 verses number of blow ups on 50:1 or any other ratio. Yea PNW thing never siezed a saw at 50:1 with 15 years of use in multiple saws.:popcorn:

Back