Performance Outdoors 60cc Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with comparing weights is the scales that are used. mine appears to be accurate but its a $40 150lb ebay special so who knows. i also have a 10lb postal scale and even it will throw out an oddball number on occasion.

I sat all saws on the scales multiple times and checked the weight.

i didnt do that for my health.....occasionally this scale likes to show a number that isnt right so i always check weight several times. 6400 is the only saw in this test that my scale went screwy on....it went something like this...15 lb, 15lb 2oz, 15lb, 15lb. i threw out the 15lb 2 oz number and went with 15lb even. if it shows the same weight twice in a row i call it good.

I highly doubt any cheap Chinese scale could hope to be as far off as some of the weight numbers marketing has shown us. So I wouldn't worry much about it.

My 562 is noticeably heavier than my 2260. Brake handle is lighter, filter area and cover, also the side cover and bar studs are smaller. Adds up to equal a really great saw.

And like a 560, the 2260 use small mount bars. I know we're talking about weights PHO, but a saw without a bar is useless, and a small mount bar is noticeably lighter than a large mount bar, or a Stihl bar.

http://www.pbase.com/wyk/neal

The 562 was weighed a while back:

154581445.N6BaJg3R.562xpweight.jpg

12.8 lbs - and that isn't the only time that result has come up.

The 6400 is a tank but underpowered its basically a small bore 7900.
That saw series comes alive with the 7300 and up. Thanks for the comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 6400 is a tank but underpowered its basically a small bore 7900.
That saw series comes alive with the 7300 and up. Thanks for the comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
underpowered compared to a 7900 but compare a 6400 to any one of these other 60cc saws and they arent

I would say you are correct 6400 on the small end of the series, bulletproof but overshadowed by its bigger brothers.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wouldn't the 6400 stack up more against the 365?
weight and size wise...yes. CC and cost no. 365 is 70cc and around $700. 6400 is 64cc and under $600. performance wise i would think they would be close

weight and size wise...yes. CC and cost no. 365 is 70cc and around $700. 6400 is 64cc and under $600. performance wise i would think they would be close

Wish I knew where to buy a new 6400 at under $600. Local dealer sells them at $695 I believe.

Wish I knew where to buy a new 6400 at under $600. Local dealer sells them at $695 I believe.
I think he is talking power head only and then you need add 7% Ohio sales tax. Who would buy a makita one on line that claims it lists for $1200? see post a few above hopefully they don't pop up advertising on me like has happened on here before.

What is the current Dolmar policy about long distance sales anyway can a dealer be in good standing and do phone orders?

Boys, I got a little confession on this weight issue. :)

Did some cutting last Saturday, and as it was only 4 degrees when we started, I picked a 262XPG and 2163WH for the heated handles. Equal in power, and a not that big a difference in weight. At first.

After a couple hours the 262 was "the light one". Due in part to the 18" bar vs the 20" on the 2163. And also that I was topping the trees for the skidder and that of course means lots of above the waist cuts vs firewood logs laying on the ground. Same deal for Mike, who was dropping the trees on the hillside we were working. He chose a 257 over his Stihl 460. (trees averaged 12-14 inches, so 60cc saws were plenty.) But the point is that in a real work environment small weight differences actually do make more of a difference than you might think. Especially on that freaking hillside in a foot and a half of snow :)

Is there a way to de-cat or change the 6400 muffler? 600.00 is a great price on that saw.

Yes just open the muffler up mine was crimped and very easy then you just cut or pull the cat out you can see it's the only baffling the muffler.

I always choose the smallest/lightest saw to get the job done. That means my 421 sees the most use even when bucking up 10-14" trees.

Latest posts

Back