Pferd sharpener, did I get a Limon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both the original and new style Pferd. They work well for me and especially on the 21LPX chain, cuts very well.

If you think it feels loose, go with the new style. They have some play because of how it slides open to flip over for both sides of the chain.

2n1, I went to husky roller, freehand, or grinder.
Need to revisit the 2n1 and see why it did that. View attachment 948327
That chain looks like it has been filed with a down angle when it doesn’t require one. You’re at about 45 on the inside and 75 on the outside. It could also just be perception.

Do not order anything that matters from Amazon - look up mixed inventory as to why.

I'll bet you have a knock off...Amazon refused to do anything to correct the mixed inventory issue as of a year ago when I dealt with them direct as an Amazon supplier for the company I worked for. In my example it was high performance auto parts being cloned and sold as legit. Amazon admitted they had no real way to not be scammed and didn't have a fix

I have great success with these files and they're especially nice to use in the field where I want to touch up mid day after hitting something (dirt for example) I shouldn't have

Listen, if you guys want to take the easiest, most fool proof way possible hand filing. Get yourself a Husky roller guide. The work well on Stihl RS, Husky and Oregon chisel chain. Another choice is a Grandberg jig, which is pretty much fool proof, albeit slow.
These 2 in 1 deals are a gimmick.

Listen, if you guys want to take the easiest, most fool proof way possible hand filing. Get yourself a Husky roller guide. The work well on Stihl RS, Husky and Oregon chisel chain. Another choice is a Grandberg jig, which is pretty much fool proof, albeit slow.
These 2 in 1 deals are a gimmick.
I have to disagree, the Pferd 2 in 1 works very well for me. It also works well for people I have showed (who then bought one) who are just not going to take the time to learn to properly free hand file, or had it work very poorly for them.

I am not near my saws to take a photo of the chain compared to @davidwyby's, but mine do not look like that. That looks like perhaps the wrong file diameter was used? Not sure.

13/64" on 3/8" oregon. Maybe it doesn't fit the oregon well...the file was too high. I need to try it again and find out why. @afleetcommand uses 2n1 and likes them.

I wouldn't say the 2n1 is a gimmick, but it's not idiot proof or can't be done with no thought or knowledge of what cutter shape one is trying to achieve.

Some folks push down on the 2 in 1 , bending the rails or files down slightly making the rakers low and adding more hook. They say it’s too aggressive. Others push straight back and it leaves rakers high with no hook and it doesn’t cut well.
@Philbert has the best advice. Get it burned into your brain what you want your cutters to look like

I like the 2in1, there is a bit of a learning curve to them. I keep mine level and apply very light pressure into the tooth. It does a good job and is fast, that's why I use them. If you're good at hand filing and have the time to do it, then you can get better results.

I like the 2in1, there is a bit of a learning curve to them. I keep mine level and apply very light pressure into the tooth. It does a good job and is fast, that's why I use them. If you're good at hand filing and have the time to do it, then you can get better results.
I like that I don’t have to go back and fool with rakers, big time saver

For me the 2 in 1 is a time saver for touch ups, and the handle is nice in my hands, but after a few sharpenings the tooth profile gets wonky. Not like Davidwyby’s but it makes a small hook that rides high. Sometimes the rakers aren’t low enough, either way I end up back with a 7/32 hand filing and doing the rakers with the progressive gauge. It’s better more consistent sharpening but it takes me twice as long.

One other quick point why I like the husky roller guide. It comes with really nice file handles. It holds the file without any wiggle which helps immensely and it’s also easy on the hands. The 2 in 1 is similarly ergonomic which is important for maintaining consistent angles.

I have been using these pferd 2 in 1 files almost 2 years now. For 3/8lp and .325 they seem to work exceptionally well. The standard 3/8 chain is kind of a curveball that requires extra effort after 3-4 sharpening's using the 13/64's version. As the chisel becomes smaller the 13/64s file is a hair too small leaving the gullet misshapen requiring a cleanup with a 7/64 by hand. At this point around the last half of the chains life I am thinking there is a need to switch to the 7/32 file version to "get the gullet". This effect is most noticeable using skip chain made by oregon! I have the 7/32 version ordered to give a try, it is listed as being used on 404 and 3/8. Two years ago the 7/32 version was sent to me by mistake, I never looked at the file closely and attempted to use it on a dull chain. The file was a hair too large preventing it from fitting between the raker and into the chisel properly resulting in a closer looksy and a prompt return for the 13/64 version. A few folks say the 13/64 handle is asily modified to hold the larger file but after doing so renders it unable to use the smaller ones. The only other complaint I have so far is the rakers are left cut flat down as hell so every so often i file a slope back into them.
Whats never mentioned is the fact that if your chain tie straps are beaten to shlt on their bottoms, the drivers are worn thin, your bar groove is worn the hell out thus allowing side to side rocking of the chain or if your too stupid to tighten your chain up to hold it in place and support the bar from moving/flexing that your sharpening angles will be all fked up.

Back