Please recommend a chain saw for my needs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't complain about the 136 at all. I have had it for about 18 years and the damn thing works every time. On top of that, I hate it because it is the saw that replaced my stolen brand new farm boss. So, I have always hated it, yet it works every time for me. From what I am reading, I am leaning hard to the 261. Thanks guys.

I have a 260 Stihl it has been nothing but a problem child carb issues mainly, had the high jet fall out of the carb last time.
Myself I’d go a husky what are your hands worth? We have a 555, 562, 372, 390, 395’s all are used for production west coast falling expect the 555 which will pull a 28 on the landing in hardwood.
ee29aad46031ecc9f8aca3c516086094.jpg
267e00c7d8cc65d51e3ca81a1457bf68.jpg

The saw in the cedar is a 562 with a 32” bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of the first run MS260's. Bought new. Its about 16 years old now and I ran it last night cutting up a big ash tree! (an ash tree that was very large.....for clarity). I absolutely love that saw. Cuts like a little monster, light weight, nimble, and VERY reliable. Always starts and runs awesome. No matter what saw you buy, if you want to keep it reliable just make sure you run good non-ethanol high octane gasoline with a high quality synthetic fuel stabilizing 2-stroke oil. Or, preferably, buy the canned premix from your local farm store! She'll always run for you that way!!!

yep that or dump it out and run it dry each time.... After two big typhoons at my cabin several of my neighbors found out the hard way about that. I had rebuilt the carbs on one my neighbors inverter gensets. It had been sitting with old gas for a year or two after he bought it, ran it when new for break in and then left the fuel in the carb and the tank... and this genset is a 4 strokes so while they are a little less prone to fuel issues; not that for that long of time. Heck this is the second time that I have pulled the carb on his honda..it still had the gas from a year earlier when I had cleaned and rebuilt it last. This was after strict instructions to run it dry and then change the oil before storage.

I had limited funds on me and wanted fishing gear more. I googled it while I was there and it said made in the USA, figured it was a Poulan in Halloween colors. I need another saw like I need a hole in my head. It’s not like it was a 357xp or something. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s there this Sunday

Look at Echo. Seriously. Bang for the buck, you're not going to get any better. Get one NIB from eBay - it will be cheaper than what you find at the local home owners' depot. Pull the carb limiter caps, do a muffler mod, and run the hell out of it. Maintain it well and it will last you for years.

My CS-490 (50cc) will pull a 20", 0.325 bar all day long. It's light and good on gas. @James Miller converted his from 0.325 to 3/8LP running an 18" bar and loves it. He also has a CS-590 (60cc) pulling a 24", 3/8 bar. I'll let him expound on that one.

I put a .325 nk chain and bar on my CS500p, helped cutting speed a lot. Steve

yep that or dump it out and run it dry each time.... After two big typhoons at my cabin several of my neighbors found out the hard way about that. I had rebuilt the carbs on one my neighbors inverter gensets. It had been sitting with old gas for a year or two after he bought it, ran it when new for break in and then left the fuel in the carb and the tank... and this genset is a 4 strokes so while they are a little less prone to fuel issues; not that for that long of time. Heck this is the second time that I have pulled the carb on his honda..it still had the gas from a year earlier when I had cleaned and rebuilt it last. This was after strict instructions to run it dry and then change the oil before storage.

Echo is the best saw today for the $$ . I have owned Pro grade Husky , Solo , Dolmar , Stihl , Jonsered , Pioneer . They all have their niche however Echo is a very affordable saw with proven performance and reliability .
Yes echo makes affordable and very reliable saws, but a 550 xp or 562 xp would be so much more fun.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Put a chain on that 562.
Yeah, nice
Both muffler modded. 562 holds its own with a 20" bar. As the bar get longer the cs nudges it out. It's really not surprising, look at the specs. Echo got close to the same HP out of their saw whe using a smaller bore and larger stroke. This means the echo will make more torque while only missing like. 1 of an hp. Now, on the echo there is a simple air filter spacer mod that more then makes up for that. 1 or so hp loss, but the torque goes up also with this. This simple mod doesnt exists on the 562. Now go ahead and play with the mufflers. No matter how you slice and dice it, the echo edges out the Husky in this class. Now, maybe with cylinder porting of the two things change, but I haven't gotten that far. I am thinking of letting a pro port my Echo which will be the first time I didn't do my own porting, that's how much I love this saw.
Sharp chain.... Please

P. S
My favorite saw is still my modded 288xp, so I'm not just an echo fan boy.

Yeah, nice
Both muffler modded. 562 holds its own with a 20" bar. As the bar get longer the cs nudges it out. It's really not surprising, look at the specs. Echo got close to the same HP out of their saw whe using a smaller bore and larger stroke. This means the echo will make more torque while only missing like. 1 of an hp. Now, on the echo there is a simple air filter spacer mod that more then makes up for that. 1 or so hp loss, but the torque goes up also with this. This simple mod doesnt exists on the 562. Now go ahead and play with the mufflers. No matter how you slice and dice it, the echo edges out the Husky in this class. Now, maybe with cylinder porting of the two things change, but I haven't gotten that far. I am thinking of letting a pro port my Echo which will be the first time I didn't do my own porting, that's how much I love this saw.
Sharp chain.... Please

P. S
My favorite saw is still my modded 288xp, so I'm not just an echo fan boy.

Latest posts

Back