possible free wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm250rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah its not free. However, I have a buddy at work that wants all his pines removed. Has about 30 of them. He'll cut them all down all I have to do is get them out. Buddy in town has truck and trailer, not sure of the load capacity. Its about a 30 minute trip from house to house. We would split the wood for the use of the trailer. Im thinking that its gonna be a ton of work, plus ton of gas with close to 30 trips for all the trees.
Anyone ever have a logger just deliver trees? Im thinking that if I could find a trucker, Id just have to pay delivery. Couldnt be that bad for 1 maybe two trips.
Ive got enough wood here but he wants them gone so I figured I could help him out.

Some tree services or mills will rent out the log truck with driver/operator and you could move it all in one trip, provided you have it all cut and ready to go.

Close to 30 trips with a truck and trailer for 30 trees?

Just how big are these trees? Pics?

How big is the truck and trailer?

I'm not doubting you, but our trees up here don't grow that big. :D

:cheers:

Chevy 2500, trailer not sure. Hes checking the capacity. All I have is trees are large. Well he used some extra words to describe them.

A friend of mine has an excavating company and also owns a large log home that I have done tons of work on. He called me yesterday and asked if he could dump off all the Pine logs that are over 10" for free!!! It's from a 1300' drive way and he said there will be some Oak mixed in with it. I'm not sure yet how much he is bringing but I will take all he will give me.

I've been hauling 15-20 miles from logging site landings (my nephew has a logging co.) I get to cut up the scrap at the landing for free. I currently only have a single axle 5x12 trailer so I'm only hauling about 1 1/2 face cord with the trailer maxxed out. Still, if the wood is free, gas is 2.00 , 10 mpg hauling 30miles round trip is only $6.00 worth of gas. Sometimes I borrow a tandem trailer and haul twice as much on about the same fuel. I'm gathering parts to make a tandem wood hauler for myself. If your buddys trailer is a tandem, you can haul plenty to make the trip worthwhile and at the sametime helping out the other guy.

Im not sure id bother all that work ,and hauling 1/2hr for pine firewood.IMO,its just about worthless,other than for starting a fire,and I've done that once this yr,I just dont let it burn out.Theres gotta be better wood closer to you,Id spend more time looking for better wood instead of hauling this wood.

I have had some logs hauled for me by a local logger. He lives down the road from me. We drove approx. 30 min to get the logs and 30 min to bring the logs home for me. He charged $250 per load. It was a tri-axle and the logs were cut 8-10' in length and 18-36" diameter. I think we hauled around 30 logs per load. Hope that helps.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Im not sure id bother all that work ,and hauling 1/2hr for pine firewood.IMO,its just about worthless,other than for starting a fire,and I've done that once this yr,I just dont let it burn out.Theres gotta be better wood closer to you,Id spend more time looking for better wood instead of hauling this wood.

Agreed, I wouldnt take that stuff for free even if you would deliver it here and stack it for me.

Around here, pine trees end up in brush piles.

Back