Poulan 5020 mix ratio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just picked up a 5020, put some 50:1 trufuel in it and started the break-in period. Then I read the manual and it wants 40:1....I already richened the jets up a tad on principle, but have not tuned it yet. I will run both trufuel and my own mix (usually stihl 2stroke plus some startron on high test pump gas, usually not that old as I have a bunch of equipment I run 50:1).

I have a few old huskies that call for 40/1 that I run at 50 no problems, just wondering if there is any reason to run my first ever poulan at 40/1?? FWIW, there is no mention of a proper or even a half-a##ed break-in period.....

Thanx.

I usually recommend 40:1 on everything, but since the new Poulans are set so lean in the factory, that you wanna run 50:1. This makes the mix as thin as possible so it can get as much gas as it can. Might make the saw last a little longer.
As fro the break in period, go easy on her for the first tank or two.

Thanx, I'll run her at 50:1, and richen it up even more!! I understand it's a cheap disposable saw but I'm on a budget and want to get all that I can out of this POS!! Wish I could afford a pro-grade Stihl or otherwise, but for the few cords of wood I need to cut each year this will probably be best bang for my buck.

I run 36:1 in all my 2 cycles including 4 late model Poulans. I use 93 octane gas, name brand 2 cycle oil, and an ounce of fuel stabilizer. Been doing this for years with no engine problems whatsoever, even on those that were lean from the factory.

50:1 should be fine. Don't over think these things, especially on a cheap disposable saw.

Thanx, I'll run her at 50:1, and richen it up even more!! I understand it's a cheap disposable saw but I'm on a budget and want to get all that I can out of this POS!! Wish I could afford a pro-grade Stihl or otherwise, but for the few cords of wood I need to cut each year this will probably be best bang for my buck.

"...a cheap disposable saw."

"...this POS!!"

There are more than a few folks here who don't consider the Poulan Pro PP5020AV to be a "cheap disposable POS." :popcorn:

"...a cheap disposable saw."

"...this POS!!"

There are more than a few folks here who don't consider the Poulan Pro PP5020AV to be a "cheap disposable POS." :popcorn:

Well there is no arguing with the fact that it is cheap!! I'm hoping that it will live up to it's reputation, so far not too shabby.

I run 36:1 in all my 2 cycles including 4 late model Poulans. I use 93 octane gas, name brand 2 cycle oil, and an ounce of fuel stabilizer. Been doing this for years with no engine problems whatsoever, even on those that were lean from the factory.

Why so much oil? Do you foul plugs a lot? You know that the less oil in the mix the more power you can get, right? I run my ice auger with a 16:1 ratio sticker on the tank at 50:1, no problems and it gets abused in sub zero temps.

Is there any piece of equipment that doesn't come lean from the factory?? It took me all of five minutes to start richening up the jets on the 5020!

I usually recommend 40:1 on everything, but since the new Poulans are set so lean in the factory, that you wanna run 50:1. This makes the mix as thin as possible so it can get as much gas as it can. Might make the saw last a little longer.
As fro the break in period, go easy on her for the first tank or two.

This post makes no sense to me.

The higher mix ratios have proven to make more power with better ring seal. I run 32:1 in everything now. Just tune the saw to the mix and you'll be fine.

Why so much oil? Do you foul plugs a lot? You know that the less oil in the mix the more power you can get, right? I run my ice auger with a 16:1 ratio sticker on the tank at 50:1, no problems and it gets abused in sub zero temps.

The reason I use more oil is because I believe that this gives the mix a somewhat higher viscosity and film strength to protect the moving parts better than fuel with less oil. This is particularly important when the engine is under load and the forces exerted on the piston, rod, crank, and bearings are trying to squeeze the lubrication out from between the parts. I also think that extra oil in the mix helps keep combustion temps down similar to EGR in an auto engine. No, my plugs don't foul any more than others. I replace them when the electrodes are worn out.

I've been using 92 octane gas with 36:1 oil ratio and fuel stabilizer for years and have never had an engine mechanical failure in any of my 2 cycle machines, never even worn one out in fact. Exhaust ports have always remained clear too. I go for maximum longevity in all my machines. A few of my cars had well over 200k when I sold them and still running.

Poulan recommends 40:1. I'm running 50:1 synthetic with no problems. I've just been using this mix, though, I'll probably dedicate a can to the 40:1.

Note on the factory condition of the carb, Poulan says don't mess with it until after 4 tanks through it. Also, they set them a little rich from the factory(read that somewhere in the literature). My 5020av agrees. Slightly rich, but pretty close to being spot on.

Strange thread with some mis-information.

The Poulan 5020 is a pretty good saw!

More oil makes more power in chainsaws. 32:1 to 50:1 should be fine with good oil.

I run 40:1 most of the time...

In fact, according to one 2-stroke expert, extra oil leans the mixture, separately increases the likelihood of detonation, speeds up formation of chamber & port deposits (which flake off & score aluminum) and linearly increases the really nasty exhaust pollutants- the POMs.

All mine have been happy with pure synthetic ~50:1 from waaaaay back. Ditto my respiratory tract. Octane higher than 89 actually reduces power output, without higher CR.

50:1 here as well. Oil doesn't burn as well as gas. There's no way more oil in the gas will burn as well as less oil. Seems to me that until someone builds a rig that can simulate the exact same load on a saw and then run three saws at 30:1, 40:1, and 50:1 and then compare engine wear after a whole bunch of tanks of fuel have been run, there is no real right answer who what mix ratio is right.

I check my saw pistons a couple times a year and can see no discernible wear at 50:1, and they all cut plenty fast for their given displacement.

i just ran a PP4216AV through a 50 work week 2 weeks ago and that saw ran for atleast 40 of those hours. 32:1 synthetic tune accordingly and your saws will thank you later. it had 115psi at the begining of the week still has 115psi afterwards nothing on the port walls or anything except a nice thin film of oil

my municipality where I am a mechanic at switched all their stihls and huskys months ago to poulan 5020av. At first I thought it was dumb. The saws are used a good 15 hours a week cleaning storm damage falling trees in the parks etc. We run them 25:1 with no problems with lucus 2 cycle. compressions good and the only problems are just dull chains. I was so impressed I bought one. The 5020 is very underrated.

I love my 5020, first real chain arriving from Amazon Monday, can't wait.

I run 32:1 and have tuned the carb to run perfectly. I see no reason this saw shouldn't last me 15 yrs or so short of neglect or dropping it off a moving vehicle, I can't speak more highly on the tool, it is excellent.

Factory chain seems to resist dulling in clean soil, did a lot of flush stump cutting expecting to stop after every stump to clean teeth up, nope, slowed a little but got through all the stumps flush cut, he'll some into the ground (oops) on the trail we cut without stopping, I will say that for the factory chain, stays sharp(ish) in stuff you have no business in.... Other than that I hate the org chain.

I have only read good things from experienced users about these saws!

It is a "down market" Husky 450 Rancher, now that is my opinion... But look at the two saws specifications, they are kin to one another.

The PP5020 is made in China, and so what... Cry me a river, it is a fine tool, you will likely not care for the factory homeowners chain, but that is any saw... First thing you want to do is opine on "man, this thing rocks, imagine if it had a good chain"

Latest posts

Back