Poulan Pro - Which 'newer' ones are good saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm asking this in the general chainsaw forum because I'm not sure that many folks here spend much time in the Sticky: Poulan thread.

I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who tends to not give Poulan Pros much attention when I run across them at flea markets, garage sales, pawn shops, etc. Kind of the same way people overlook the good 'transition' Macs because they look similar to the newer Macs.

It seems that some of the yellow & black PPs are actually well-made solid saws based on Jonsered/Partner designs (rebadged maybe?).

IMHO, any of the PP saws without the quick chain adjust are not bad units. They will really benifit from a muffler mod and carb retune. When this is done they will run with almost any brand for a lot less money.

I'm asking this in the general chainsaw forum because I'm not sure that many folks here spend much time in the Sticky: Poulan thread.

I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one who tends to not give Poulan Pros much attention when I run across them at flea markets, garage sales, pawn shops, etc. Kind of the same way people overlook the good 'transition' Macs because they look similar to the newer Macs.

It seems that some of the yellow & black PPs are actually well-made solid saws based on Jonsered/Partner designs (rebadged maybe?).

hi chris,,,,
i got a 3300 forester off craigslist a while ago for $20.00,, i think it is teh same as one of teh pp saws, but not sure of teh numbers,,, i put a carb kit, and rings in it, opened up teh muffler,,, its light, and easy to start,,, been using it for firewood since i got it.....
john

I have the 4620 which I believe is based on the 295. It actually gets some decent work for me when I want to pull out a lightweight saw. Its actually usually the first saw I use in the spring - when the wife wants some samplings or similar pulled & I dont want to fire up the big saws/havent got good mix yet that year.

Stock, however, its not going to be much fun to use, but here's what Ive done though:

1) get rid of the stupid 20" B&C. No way this little 46cc engine can run that effectively. Ive outfitted mine with a Husky 16" & it runs much better. It will take the husky bar pattern with no problem - should be the same for a dolmar bar, I believe.

2) (actually, this should probably be #1) get rid of the tool-less adjustment. You can just drill a hole if you like, or you can look online for the "old" style side cover. I think i paid about $15 for mine, shipping included. I know some people said they were able to just contact poulan & complain enough until they got one sent free. I got my saw free from the local landfill so I figured $15 was ok to spend.

3) Open up the muffler a bit. It makes a huge difference on this little thing.

After that, you have a pretty nice, light saw with decent antivibe. Its definitely got more grunt than my dad's limber (ms180) and at quite a lower cost.

If you do get one of these, make sure you get a hold of one of the carb adjusting tools. The stupid carb (while a good quality walbro) of course uses a special splined tool on the H & L needles. :p

i have a pp 4218av without the toolless garbage thats breaks easily, i put a oregon chain on it and its a pretty good saw, i like my same price ryobi better but i still like this more then a old homelite or something. the fuel caps melt from the gas in the tank u need pliers to get them off alot, other then that not bad.

Pp260

I have one, it is far from great, but use it quite a bit instead of better
saws I have drained & stored in case of massive blow downs or ice storms.
I think the newer Poulan Pro's like 4218 & 4620 are strato saws, the 260
& 295 are conventional, but lined cylinders.

My ?: Do the newer ones have a lined cylinder.

That Poulan thread is very active and a bunch of really good guys post on it. They will be able to tell if something is worth fixing, how to fix it and how to make it run better.

Never even thought of the smaller Poulan Pro saws ( we have ran 475's, and 505's and loved them ) then I stumbled ont the 325, It looked a lot like the 5000 Partner, that I love to run. Got talked into one with the advice of ModifiedMark, these are a twin of the 500, 5000 Partner saws, and the 490 Jonsered, with a few changes. I have been running the heck out of mine and it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. Cuts just as fast if not faster than the 5100 Dolmar we have, and has better ergo's and anti-vibe, In my opinion. The 475 and 505 series are the same as the Jonsereds 2077 and 2083 with some minor differences. Both great saws, and priced less than the same Jonsered. Just got a 415 for my personnal colection it is also a very nice saw.

my only good Poulans are old & green, 5400 has a black top

The PP260 is useful, but a plastic frame clamshell.
The S-25, 4200, 5400 & even the 361 from the 60's were great saws in
their time.

That Poulan thread is very active and a bunch of really good guys post on it. They will be able to tell if something is worth fixing, how to fix it and how to make it run better.

:agree2: Oh yeah, definately. I do some reading there, and have picked-up some good pointers. Used good saws in decent shape are rare around here, and the major brands such as Stihl & Husqvarna are usually priced accordingly. I'm curious because I've most certainly seen some of the better Poulan Pros, but didn't give them much attention because I don't know which PPs are sleepers.

Maybe it's time that I go through the entire Poulan thread, and the modern Poulan thread, & compile a list of PPs worth considering :monkey:.

Thanks to all for responding! :cheers: make mine n-a

A cohort of mine sent me two 3400 Poulans, I had no clue about them. After evicting the muddobbers, both started and ran. I am impressed with the simple, robust construction, nothing cheap about it. I am keeping one stock, the other will be modified.

offbrands001.jpg

Chris, your asking a pretty broad question? How old is old and how new is newer?

What size you talking about?

Chris, your asking a pretty broad question? How old is old and how new is newer?

What size you talking about?

Mark, sorry about being so broad, I'm just trying to get an idea of which PPs are considerred reliable & which ones to give a miss.

By newer I mean the ones that are easily confused with the box store PPs. I'm thinking modern design--chainbrakes, anti-vibe, good air filtration, etc. The early/older Poulans get my attention, and I walk away from the ones with the crazy colors.

Size is hard to say, I guess anything over 50cc. What's the largest PP they make/made?

This is my view:

The ones with the four-digit model number where the first two digits are cc and the second two are bar length (e.g. 4218, 4620) are plasticky box store stuff.

The Poulan Pros with the three-digit number that are > 300 are good stuff. PP330 recently sold at Tractor Supply, for example. Be careful, though: PP295 is a 46cc plastic saw.

Other Poulans? I don't know, a lot of it is older stuff that I personally am less interested in.

Good responses...which brings me to a question. A Model 1900 Patriot is advertised in a local paper here for $50--good saw? overpriced? Not worth the trouble? just wondering. Thought it might be a good tractor/atv saw.

Latest posts

Back