Poulan Pro - Which 'newer' ones are good saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw_Maniac
" You missed me didn't you. I don;t know how I get dragged into arguing with people I don't care about about stuff I don't care about."

Seems to me you get "dragged" into it by making stupid blanket statements like you did in your first response.
As far as NEW smaller saws they sell, I don't know about them, they don't interest me, so I don't make disparaging remarks about them. Same goes for other makes & models.

To each his own I guess. Not everybody needs a MS660 to cut thousands upon thousands of cords of wood like you.
For the average homeowner that needs a saw to prune his apple tree, or clean up an occasional downed tree or limb, I suspect the "cheap box store" saw will work out well. Provided they know which end is up.

It strikes me funny too, I have read numerous posts on here over the years from people saying they had some dirty, crappy saw job to do, and didn't want to use their precious "Good Saw" to do the job, so they used the old wildthing to do the dirty work. LOL They get used & abused then kicked to the side, then get called crap from folks like you.

So I won't argue any more about it. You can use your MS660 to cut firewood, and I'll use my Poulan 4000, and we will both be happy.:msp_thumbup: And we can let folks that use these other saws dole out the good & bad about them. Whatever that might be. For the price, (not everybody is made of money) limited use they are intended for, and knowledge of the person running them, I think they probably are a good buy.

We can just agree to dissagree.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Y

No. I am very open to saws that I have no experience with such as the 505, 5200, etc. I even researched them, and they look good on paper. I can't seem to find any dealers though that sell any Poulan over 50cc, so I could not compare prices or specs between what I would consider as a saw for myself. Apparently Husqvarna owns Poulan, and (correct me if I'm wrong) uses the Poulan name to sell their lower priced saws. Given this information, does Poulan have anything on the market right now, brand new that can be purchased brand new to compete with an MS260 or 385xp? Link me to where they are sold.

What I do have experience with is the big box saws (33cc to 46cc) that generally go for $99 to $240. These are the saws that are out there in the real world that you'll find in homeowners garages and on the shelves of every hardware store that sells chainsaws. People I know tend to bring me their saws if they have a problem. I am no expert mechanic by any means, but I am a good sharpener and can do basic troubleshooting. Based on my experience, I would not recommend buying saws such as these.

For all intents and purposes, the brand name Poulan is associated with these low end saws since these are the saws that are commonly sold and the saws that people commonly possess.

I respect your opinion. Here's my opinion The 5020 will cost you $200. You could find a Stihl 28 Super in good condition for less than that. In either case, you have risk. Online reviews I've are strongly stacked against the Poulan lasting more than a few years of light use. My personally have dozens of friends and acquaintances with broken yet still new Poulans. The term “not worth repairing” is common. Flame me if you like (and you no doubt will) but I am speaking honestly about what I have seen and experienced I'm being kind not bringing up the Wild Thing.

Just to clarify, I don't own big saws for a hobby. I own them to make a living. I usually only buy a new one when my old one wears out, so I don't have a large collection of chainsaws (only 6 that run maybe).

I'm not sure what you are getting at making fun of my 20” bar. This is an ideal bar length for firewood. I like using my biggest saw because it cuts faster.

I demand that a chainsaw be capable of cutting wood reliably day after day without breaking down. Suburban homeowners, though they might only cut as much wood in a year as I cut in a day, also want a reliable saw.

[

Talking out of both sides of your mouth there hoss, wanting to compare an old 028 super to a new Poulan. If you compare a new PP4620 to a new MS250 that is a more fair comparison.

Both have
1) plated cylinders
2) non adjustable oilers
3) clamshell designed engine
4) both weigh 10 pounds (per websites)

The differences are you can buy the PP4620AV new for $149 and the Stihl is $299

Do the same maintenance on them, treat and care for them the same, BOTH will run a long time. If a fuel line breaks on them for the PP go to any small engine shop and spend $2 for Tygon and for the Stihl the molded line will be much more (if Stihl is open). New oiler for the PP is $7.14 all over the web, how much is the other?

Long story short, both are designed for the same usage and both will work equally well, it boils down to how much do you want to spend?

I will say this though, I had to work on a Stihl MS180c this week and the carb had neither a low or high speed adjustable jet on it, the only adjustment was idle screw. I've never had a Poulan (green or yellow) that did not have both adjustments........

Oh, and if you want to compare old to new, my old S25DA will stay with a new MS200t, and that's a 30+ years old design.

This thread makes me want to say,

:sucks:

I will go home today and tell my PP 260, three 295's, all four 330's, 405, 455, 505, 525 and the 655, that they don't deserve to be called chainsaws.

LMAO, you guys have a great Christmas.

:bowdown::bowdown:

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

This thread makes me want to say,

:sucks:

I will go home today and tell my PP 260, three 295's, all four 330's, 405, 455, 505, 525 and the 655, that they don't deserve to be called chainsaws.

LMAO, you guys have a great Christmas.

:bowdown::bowdown:

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hell, I should take my own advice...........

I respect your opinion. Here's my opinion The 5020 will cost you $200. You could find a Stihl 28 Super in good condition for less than that. In either case, you have risk. Online reviews I've are strongly stacked against the Poulan lasting more than a few years of light use. My personally have dozens of friends and acquaintances with broken yet still new Poulans. The term “not worth repairing” is common. Flame me if you like (and you no doubt will) but I am speaking honestly about what I have seen and experienced I'm being kind not bringing up the Wild Thing.

The Poulans are not 1/3 of the price. They are 1/2 price at best if you compare consumer model to consumer model. I will grant you they are capable and usable, but they don't last long (look up reviews online if you don't believe me).
I see - anyone who disagrees with you is flaming you? Nice attempt at reversal after starting the flaming on this thread.

I don't need to look up the reviews, I ran a Wild Thing for my own firewood and clean up use for over 12 years. With a badly scored cylinder (from using old fuel) it still pulled 130psi and cut as well as my dad's MS250. I can buy a new WT right now for $130, and the receipt on my dad's saw was $409. I've got two other cheap plastic Poulan saws, and they work great too.

They're not pro saws, they were not intended to be. But if properly maintained and set up they will work well and last as long as any other plastic clamshell saw, because there's no damn difference. They're built the same and made out of the same materials using the same basic structure and design as every other plastic clamshell saw, and use the same kinds of bars and chains. The reason most are in such poor shape is because of how they get used and (not) maintained. What scored the cylinder on mine was my own poor fuel and possibly tuning error, and it would have done exactly the same to whatever saw I was running, regardless of what name might have been on the side.

I will repair my plastic Poulan just as soon as I save up the money for a new jug, piston, ring and seals. I'll splurge and get the chrome plated jug for a PP260 - I think it's about $85, and I think it will be "worth repairing".

Back to the original posters question on which PPro saws are the good ones, somehow we got side tracked.:msp_ohmy: All them saws that Sprintcar just mentioned are good ones!!! I'll through a couple more in there.
The Super 380, 365, 335, 336, etc. The 475 (especially ModifiedMarks), The 375 & 395 which are gold & black versions of the 3700 & 4000. I have a gold & black S25DA top handle also. Just to name a few. The one I most desire is the 655,or 655BP.:msp_tongue:

Gregg,

So after reading this entire thread, as I understand, the poulans are all good as long as they are used for what they were intended and they are well maintained. Is this a fair assumption? It sounds as if the older Poulans were geared more toward the professional crowd and the new Poulans are geared specifically for the home owners who do not use their saws as much or for a lot of large wood. Somewhere the switch was made and a few people covered that toward the beginning of the thread before we were side tracked. I am sorry I do not intend to sound like a wise ass, I am just trying to make sure I have the facts straight.

So after reading this entire thread, as I understand, the poulans are all good as long as they are used for what they were intended and they are well maintained. Is this a fair assumption? It sounds as if the older Poulans were geared more toward the professional crowd and the new Poulans are geared specifically for the home owners who do not use their saws as much or for a lot of large wood. Somewhere the switch was made and a few people covered that toward the beginning of the thread before we were side tracked. I am sorry I do not intend to sound like a wise ass, I am just trying to make sure I have the facts straight.

You pretty much nailed it Spanky. Same could be said for other once proud American & Canadian made saws. Like Homelite, McCullough, Pioneer, Partner, etc. Kinda like Fallen Flags of the Railroading world. The result of an era of corporate buyouts & take overs, and were left with pretty much foreign companys. :cry:

Gregg,

Nice summary :msp_thumbup:, Spanky.

When I bumped this thread I didn't expect to see a Poulan bashing and defending war. Hopefully folks can filter the rhetoric and glean some useful information from this thread. I'm certainly more knowledgeable of Poulans than I was fourteen months ago.

Chainsaw_Maniac, I think that you deserve credit for reading the responses and researching Poulans. It is easy to misjudge Poulans when all you see are saws misused/abused by homeowners. Abuse & neglect can turn ANY make & model into a POS.

Now, if anyone still thinks all Poulans are crap saws, contact me, I have lots of room in my garage :cheers:.

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas, y'all!

I can only speak to the saws I own - and some of them are newer Poulan Pro saws.

Back in the day - my family had a Dayton chainsaw - not sure the model, maybe a 245? It had some kind of funky chain sharpener on it. It was used by uncles, aunts, cousins and probably loaned out to strangers. Long story short - it was hard to start and not much of a saw to use.

Fast forward to today - I realize the old Dayton was a great saw in the hands of crap operators.

I never cared for ANY Poulan saw until my brother and I went cutting firewood and he had a green Poulan Farmhand (I think that was the name - it is a 46cc saw w/o chainbrake, similar to the present 4620 saws). That saw started easily, was light weight and ran like a champ. So I bought a 4620, put a two bolt chain cover on it, 16 inch bar and have cut a lot of firewood with it.

I then found the PP330 on clearance at Tractor Supply. I've got a couple of these, the last one was $159 new + tax. A little carb adjustment and some tanks of gas through it and it too is a good saw. I run a shorter bar on it too vs the 22 inch one that came with it.

However, I also run Stihl saws. The Poulans will do anything the Stihls will do, but the quality of the Stihl saws I've got are much better. The whole saw(s) are much more thought out IMHO than the Poulans that I have.

BUT - having said that, I very much like taking my Poulans out to cut firewood, would recommend them to anyone and feel they are a fine saw.

I'm about maxed out on saws in my fleet of them and have enough to outlast me and my boys when it's their turn to own and use the saws. Even with that, I'm on the hunt for a deal on another 4620 or 295 new in the box to cap off my inventory.

Bill

Is the newer Poulan Pro a Poulan design or a Jonsered design? I have seen old Jonsereds with a similar design to the rear handle and anti vibe that the newer PP's use. I have a Jonsered 2036 turbo manufactured in 1997 which actually shares some parts with newer PP's. Is my Jonsered a red and black Poulan Pro or is the PP a yellow and black Jred? Either way the little Jred with a MM is a sweet running and powerful little saw. I find that I use it a lot more than I thought I would when I bought it. That is when I can get it away from my SIL who likes it too.:msp_thumbup:

Is the newer Poulan Pro a Poulan design or a Jonsered design? I have seen old Jonsereds with a similar design to the rear handle and anti vibe that the newer PP's use. I have a Jonsered 2036 turbo manufactured in 1997 which actually shares some parts with newer PP's. Is my Jonsered a red and black Poulan Pro or is the PP a yellow and black Jred? Either way the little Jred with a MM is a sweet running and powerful little saw. I find that I use it a lot more than I thought I would when I bought it. That is when I can get it away from my SIL who likes it too.:msp_thumbup:

That 2036 is a PP in red and black.....

I think some of you guys would back up your favorite brand of saws before your wives....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back