Pre-mix's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russellrewis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After searching the archive I learned that the subject of what ratio pre-mix is best has been fully discussed so I will not go into this area; however, I have six small 2-stroke engines of different makes and uses (chainsaw, string trimmer, blower, etc.) and they all require a different fuel/oil ratio. Why? With todays engine technology and competition level so high, couldn't they all be the same? What could possibly be so different about the engines/material/design that could require this variation (from 16:1 to 50:1 in my case) of ratio's?
Thanks,
Russell

Most new equipment today will call for 40:1 or 50:1. The older stuff calling for a richer mix was largely due to inferior oils of the time. (by todays standards)
-Ralph

i use amsoil in all my stuff. 100:1 saber professional 2 cycle one pack to one gallon.

I use the same stuff in all my 2-strokes (ranges from race bikes to weed-wackers to saws). I typically use Yamalube 2R around 36:1, but will probably transistion over to the MX-2T. I also use bell ray MC1 (50:1, its really thick stuff) if I can't find the others on race morning. I belive the largest factor in raito is the type of oil.

begleytree said:
Most new equipment today will call for 40:1 or 50:1. The older stuff calling for a richer mix was largely due to inferior oils of the time. (by todays standards)
-Ralph
:blob2:

Pre-mix

Thanks for the info. I really need to get all engines on the same mix. I will start with the engine that has the 16:1 ratio requirement.

Would a spark plug condition/color be an acceptible method to determine if the engine is going to be happy with this new ratio?

Thanks,
Russell

Please step away from the Amsoil comment.

Failure to heed this warning will result in two days off your life, that you can never get back, being taken from you.

Also please extinguish all cigarettes as it apparently can catch your saw on fire.

Fred

Latest posts

Back