predictions. how good are you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

80cj

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
we bought a tri-axle load of wood for our cabin (should last a couple of years) and are having a big cut and split weekend this weekend. the plan is to use the 066 (20" bar) and a 210 (18" bar) for the bulk of the cutting. my original question was going to be, assuming 18" lengths, how much gas (mix) and bar oil should i plan on going through. but for fun i thought i'd make it more of a competition to see who can guess the closest. anyone care to guess?

pic is attached to help you out.

thanks
shawn

I'd use my Dolmar, and I would say 1-1/3 gallons of fuel, 5/8 gallon bar oil if you set your oiler right.

Didn't think it got cold enough in Florida for a fire...figured a sweatshirt would keep most people warm!

cost?

80cj-

You'll get a workout cutting and splitting all that! Hey, you mind me asking how much a load of wood like that costs? How many cords do you think it will be once cut/split?

I would guyess that less than two gallons of mix and a gallon of lube. My 028 and 55 would have this compleated in a day.After this little bit of exercise, a complete rehydration would be required and this would consist of a case of ice cold brew. I forgot to mention a box of band aids, Ken

my guess

3 gallons on the 066, looks pretty clean. did similar job this year with stihl 650. Have fun, hand splitting?

predictions

you really think it'll be less than 2 gallons of gas? and maybe only 1 gallon or so of bar oil? i will take extra, just to be sure b/c there will not be anywhere local if we run out, and i won't run cheap stuff!

the 066 is new (to me) so i really have no idea what to expect. i am sure it won't be the most efficient but it may be the most fun. i have only got to run it a couple times. the first time in hard wood was this past weekend at a buddy's cabin. i just put it all back together and wanted to give it a trial run before this weekend. i gotta tell you, this is the biggest saw that i have run and i loved it! we were cutting through 24" cherry and 20" oak and it didn't seem to care. my buddy was running his little mac earlier and now he is hooked too.

my cabin is in north-central PA and i am living in Buffalo for work right now. (had the saw shipped to my hotel in pieces!) In FL, more than once i have run my a/c just so i can have a fire in the fireplace!

i do have 2 full chisel, low vibe chains, i am curious if i will be able to tell the difference.

as for the cost of the wood, i think it was around $500 delivered, but i will have to double check that. i was told it was about 10 cord, but i guess we will see. we rented a log splitter for the weekend, but i'm sure will do a few by hand, just for good measure!

i will keep you all posted on the totals, maybe even have a pic or 2...

btw- as dad remembers it, the last time they got a truckload of wood this size, dad did all the cutting with his 028 (i think) and it took him 4-5 hours, but he was really tired afterwards! :)

thanks
shawn

Last edited:
TreeCo said:
Less than two gallons but it depends on which saw does the cutting. An 066 is overkill and will use more fuel and be harder on the operator. A 361, 440 or 441 would be the right sized saw for that pile of wood IMO. I'd likely use my 036.
To me, it looks like 361 fodder......

@80cj; Why take any chances, just be sure that you bring more than enough fuel and bar oil.

Last edited:
I agree w/ Troll 361 would be perfect.

I used my 066 recently for some small stuff like that and it's way overkill but I was only cutting one tree...for fun...That pile would get old w/ the 066...

But having to choose between a 210 and 066 I'd certainly go w/ the 066. 210 would take at least half again as long.

066 will eat the gas... but even so you're still talking 3 gal max.

Chaser

That chicken in the pics looks like one of mine. :D What's the car in the background? I want to say new VW Passat, but it's just too far away. Chevy Impala?

You don't need to play around. Two guys in decent shape should be grilling by 1 o'clock if you use the 066 and a 10 lb maul.

Fred

I'd take an extra maul though for when the 066 is done.

Your not using a state owned power pole for a log stop are you, tisk...tisk!

Oh, 3 gal mix is safe and 1 gal bar oil will be more than enough.

And unless your using the maul to chock the tire on a gas splitter I can't comment on that aspect...:laugh:

JH

predictions

361 huh? i sold my other saw with the intent of getting a 361. but after playing on ebay and drinking one night, i ended up with the 066! (i'd like to say that is a joke!) so now i am thinking that i will keep the 066, but pick up a smaller saw for the little stuff. (thinking the 026)

my brother is going to be running the 210 also, but my guess is that the 066 will do the bulk of it. i think it will keep everyone else busy trying to stack and split fast enough to keep up.

i grabbed a 6 pack of mix and have 2 gallons of bar oil. but will probably take the 3rd just to be safe.

i can't vouch for the chicken, but i do know the car is the neighbor's! good call on the impalla!

thanks
shawn

Sharp chains on 066.
16"-18" pieces.
10 face cords.

One gallon of gas and one gallon of lube as long as the operators are moving fast. If not two each. Done cutting cutting pretty quickly but I do not know about splitting. How fast do your friends and family split wood? Make sure your 066 is running a little rich. Also might want to make sure it has a 3/8 by 8 rim on it. Should be fun. Be safe. Good luck.

80cj said:
my cabin is in north-central PA and i am living in Buffalo for work right now. (had the saw shipped to my hotel in pieces!) In FL, more than once i have run my a/c just so i can have a fire in the fireplace!

Lot of good advice so far. I had to laugh at the above - my brothers and I did the same thing when I was about 16, except it was in the middle of a WV winter. We just kept stoking the fire - got so hot we turned on the A/C. Boy, was my Dad PO'd!

One thing about the 066, if doesn't wear you out, you'll get done sooner.
20" bar sounds like a good choice.

gas

Close to 3 gal of gas close to 2 gal for bar oil if your cutting oak.Got to keep the oilers opened wide!

80cj said:
we bought a tri-axle load of wood for our cabin (should last a couple of years) and are having a big cut and split weekend this weekend. the plan is to use the 066 (20" bar) and a 210 (18" bar) for the bulk of the cutting. my original question was going to be, assuming 18" lengths, how much gas (mix) and bar oil should i plan on going through. but for fun i thought i'd make it more of a competition to see who can guess the closest. anyone care to guess?

pic is attached to help you out.

thanks
shawn
Did you get'r done yet? If so, how'd it go?

Latest posts

Back