Price of Stihl Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I belong to cumminsforum also and people swear by Amsoil for there engine oil. Does anyone know or have any opinions on Amsoil Bar and Chain Oil? Just curious. The site to this oil is http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/abc.aspx Thanks!

I'm an Amsoil dealer. And truth be told, currently I can get Amsoil bar oil cheaper then I can get Husky bar oil in my area. If I order it when I place a large order shipping isn't a big deal. Someone told me Stihl bar oil is going for $10 a gallon locally. Like I said I haven't been to a Stihl dealer in a while so I'm not sure. If that's true then the Amsoil bar oil is right in between the Husky and Stihl bar oil.

I ordered a gallon of Amsoil bar oil to give it a try. I've used a little bit of it so far. It seems to be a little thinner then Husky/Stihl bar oil, that could be because it's a synthetic blend though, not sure. But it does seem to be very tacky and stick to the bar and chain very well. I can turn my oiler's down a little bit so I use the same amount of oil (like I said, it's a little thinner) as I would if I were using Husky/Stihl bar oil and it seems to work just fine.

I know a few guys that have use it a lot and they really like it, they say they get less heat in their bar and chains. They also use the same oil in the winter and it works just as good. I haven't used it enough, so I can't say.

If I can get Stihl bar oil for $10 a gallon, I'll use that. If the price go's up on the Stihl oil and I can get the Amsoil oil cheaper, I'll use that. If they cost the same I'll use Stihl/Husky oil because of the convenience factor of buying locally.

As long as it's Stihl, Husky or Amsoil I really done care. I used some cheap stuff I bought at Agway once and it just flew off the chain as soon as it was outside the clutch cover. I got a lot of heat in my bar and chain. Switched back to Stihl/Husky bar oil and haven't had any problems at all.

Bought TSC bar oil $6.79/gal. yesterday here in western NC.
Husky oil was around 11-12 clams.

never used it before. we'll see.

I was at Walmart last week. I did't see any bar lube so I asked a clerk and he told me they don't sell any. Looks like I'm going to have to go back. I thought that was kind of odd.

I was at our local Wal Mart last night getting a shop vac and stopped by just to check the price for this thread. (I usally have my wife pick it up for me) They had 2 cases on the shelf. The poulan stuff is with the saws but the super tech stuff is with the auto oil.

I was at Walmart last week. I did't see any bar lube so I asked a clerk and he told me they don't sell any. Looks like I'm going to have to go back. I thought that was kind of odd.

The Puolan bar oil is in the section with chainsaws, and string trimmers. I bought some of the green jug Poulan to try, and its mighty tacky. $4.88 here in Pa, but was $5.18 in NC.

The 4 closest walmarts to us, no chainsaws, no bar oil.
The hardware store, that handles Stihl products, $14/gal most of this spring, could be higher.

Now, the farm/fleet store, poulon was $5.49, now about $6.39/gal. Husqvarnae bar oil, $9.

Poulon in the summer, and Stihl winter(blue) in the cold parts of winter. It balances out.

Last edited:
You guys got me all worried........... so I stopped at the Husky dealer on the way home yesterday........ :)
$5.39 a gallon for Husky oil, by the case price. :)

I got 2 cases :) :givebeer: :givebeer: He even gave me a 3" locking blade Carlton knife. :D and a pretty informative Carlton book on chain maintaince. :givebeer: :givebeer:

Ed

:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

idiots... and they had better not bring their saws to me for service.

Would you be so kind to explain to my why I'm such an idiot that I'd be unwelcome in your shop?

See, I have a Pro Mac 10-10, 25 years old, that has never seen anything except used motor oil for bar and chain oil. It has cut 2-3 cords a year of mostly oak and locust firewood and still runs like a top.

So, serious question, why does that make me an idiot?

Bar and chain oil is sticky and adheres to your chain and bar. Motor oil is of a much lower viscocity and doesn't stick to the chain so there is next to no actual oil on your chain. And the lack of lubrication causes premature failure of the bar, chain and the saw as a whole. Since you're having to force the saw more to get it to cut since your dulling your chain quicker due to lack of proper oiling, you're putting more wear and tear on your buffers, clutch, your engine and engine bearings. At 6$ a gallion for the cheap stuff it's very much worth getting the proper oil.

To add to BOTI, used motor oil, if not filtered properly and carefully will clog oilers over time. Taking off a oiler on some saws are a pita, when they could have used cheap bar oil and been better off.:dizzy: :cry: :dizzy: :cry:

Would you be so kind to explain to my why I'm such an idiot that I'd be unwelcome in your shop?

See, I have a Pro Mac 10-10, 25 years old, that has never seen anything except used motor oil for bar and chain oil. It has cut 2-3 cords a year of mostly oak and locust firewood and still runs like a top.

So, serious question, why does that make me an idiot?

1) it's classified as toxic waste.
2) it get all over me and everything else. You will be charged a lot more.
3) it destroys oil pumps and is a terrible bar/chain lubricant.
4) it stinks.
5) it's really bad for the environment.
6) ... you figure out the rest.

2-3 cords a year is not a test. that's barely using a saw...

1) it's classified as toxic waste.
2) it get all over me and everything else. You will be charged a lot more.
3) it destroys oil pumps and is a terrible bar/chain lubricant.
4) it stinks.
5) it's really bad for the environment.
6) ... you figure out the rest.

I wear rubber gloves when I change my oil, because it is a recognized carcinogen. Very bad and toxic to all living things. Pretty darn short-sighted to use it in a chainsaw IMNSHO, because the bar oil ends up in the sawdust on the ground...... I am very careful to recycle used motor oil. A tiny bit will contaminate a large area. Think about the responsibility we all have to be good stewards of the resources available to us!

If you like pollution, visit China...............:monkey:

Yes, it's definitely not a good idea to use waste motor oil as b&c lubricant. You should always recycle your waste motor oil. I recycle mine by pouring it into my diesel truck's fuel tank. :D

8.95 here, but I bought 6 gallons for volume discount at 7.50/per

I wear rubber gloves when I change my oil, because it is a recognized carcinogen. Very bad and toxic to all living things. Pretty darn short-sighted to use it in a chainsaw IMNSHO, because the bar oil ends up in the sawdust on the ground...... I am very careful to recycle used motor oil. A tiny bit will contaminate a large area. Think about the responsibility we all have to be good stewards of the resources available to us!

If you like pollution, visit China...............:monkey:

What’s the bar and chain oil made out of that makes it “non toxic” to the environment? Didn’t I read here that it is made with crude oil, same as motor oil? Maybe there are some vegetable based bar and chain oils, but I don't see them being promoted as the only way to go.

And at least on the oiler of my saw, it hasn’t harmed it in 25 years.

In 25 years I have gone thru 4 bars, and never seem to have a problem cutting. Keep the chain sharp, and even in Locust or White Oak, she throws big chips and cuts as well as my buddy’s larger Husky (not sure of the model) in which he uses some brand of “bar and chain oil”.

Used oil is just what I was taught to use, and never gave it much thought.

If used waste oil ends up in the saw dust on the ground I wonder were the REAL DEAL bar oil ends up? That is very intriguing to say the least. I recycle my used waste oil to! When I change the oil in my car or pickup and after it has run all over my unprotected hands I pour what is left into a bucket and use it to burn brush piles

Found a reasonably good oil at Northern for 7.99 a gallon it seems to work fine.

BTW
Think about this: bar oil is between $6.00 and $14.00 a gallon. Beer is between $10.00 and $30.00 a gallon, which do you use more of.

:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back