Prices of 460 vs 372 vs 576

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A 460 with ~60cc is just less then $500, with the softwoods here in N.W. Montana it can drive a 28" bar&chain.

Why the leap in price to nearly $900 for a 372 with ~70cc of engine? And what is the difference between the 300 series saws vs the 500s? Ala http://www.husqvarna.com/us/home/ the difference seems Nil other then the slight engine displacement.

There is a very very large dead standing White Pine, I want to bring down and get into my stack, and my Stihl 290 is a bit under powered for this, and a larger saw will greatly increase my firewood gathering. Lots and lots of trees I want but haven't quite the tools for some of them.

400 series saws are home owner saws that are built differently than the 300 or 500 which are pro or commercial grade saws that are built with a magnesium crank case and better design where as the homeowners are built in a plastic case and of lesser quality. Although they would work just fine you would be better off spending the extra money on a pro grade saw. You never remember what you pay for something you enjoy. But if you don't get what you need, you will be reminded every time you use it.

400 series saws are home owner saws that are built differently than the 300 or 500 which are pro or commercial grade saws that are built with a magnesium crank case and better design where as the homeowners are built in a plastic case and of lesser quality. Although they would work just fine you would be better off spending the extra money on a pro grade saw. You never remember what you pay for something you enjoy. But if you don't get what you need, you will be reminded every time you use it.

So your saying that the 345 (plastic cased clam shell junk) I have bouncing around in the tool box of my truck is a "pro" grade saw? Your logic is greatly flawed.

There is a very very large dead standing White Pine, I want to bring down and get into my stack, and my Stihl 290 is a bit under powered for this, and a larger saw will greatly increase my firewood gathering. A 460...can drive a 28" bar & chain. Lots and lots of trees I want but haven't quite the tools for some of them.
husqvarna-460-rancher-dfde42d4.png
60.3 cc, 3.62 hp, 13"- 20", 12.8 lbs.

MS 290 STIHL FARM BOSS® 56.5 cc, 3.80 hp, 16"- 20", 13.0 lbs.

husqvarna-562-xp-f2e01392.png
59.8 cc, 4.70 hp, 15"- 28", 13.0 lbs.
73995-a2f832dd.png

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price*

A 460 Husqvarna is pretty much the same as an MS290 Stihl. I'm not sure why you think a 28" bar would work on that saw, but I certainly wouldn't do it. I think your best bet would be to find a good used 70cc saw, I have bought many (used) for less than a new Husky 460 or MS290. If you need a 28" bar, that's what I'd recommend. Good luck! ;)

From another thread but I thought it so profound it was worth repeating.

Perhaps I missed the minimum income requirements to join AS. There is a strange assumption here that your avereage guy can go out and buy the optimum pro saw for every 4" increment of tree size. I guess I don't know too many folks who can afford that, and the ones I do know sure won't put the effort into cutting wood. If it's not a business your typical homeowner is going to have to make do with non-optimally sized saws on occasion, but still need to get the job done. Obviously any reasonably competant 60cc saw can pull a 25" bar when needed.

Do you guys really think your time is that important that the difference in cutting speed matters so much?

just in case 24" bar and chain ms361

My thinking is, Why spend $500 on a saw that isn't up to the task, and is essentially the same saw the OP already owns? With a $500 budget, a very nice pro-grade 70cc saw could be acquired from any number of credible members of this forum (not me, I'm not to be trusted). ;)

Yes, it would be a used saw, but at least it would be capable of the task at hand. And the MS290 would make a fine backup saw in case the need should arise. 372xp, Dolmar 7900, 044/MS440, JRed 2171, etc... to name a few. o_O

My thinking is, Why spend $500 on a saw that isn't up to the task, and is essentially the same saw the OP already owns? With a $500 budget, a very nice pro-grade 70cc saw could be acquired from any number of credible members of this forum (not me, I'm not to be trusted). ;)

Yes, it would be a used saw, but at least it would be capable of the task at hand. And the MS290 would make a fine backup saw in case the need should arise. 372xp, Dolmar 7900, 044/MS440, JRed 2171, etc... to name a few. o_O

A $500 budget could put you into a decent 90cc class saw if you really look around. 70cc class could be had all day for $350. I like used saws.

Latest posts

Back