Prices of 460 vs 372 vs 576

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A $500 budget could put you into a decent 90cc class saw if you really look around. 70cc class could be had all day for $350. I like used saws.
Since he was talking new saws, I was thinking of a really nice used saw, not some old beater. Hell, I picked up a 372xp for half that, but it's pretty beat up. And I know saws can be had for free or almost free if you happen to be at the right place at the right time. Even really nice ones. My buddy traded an old 5 gallon air compressor ($150) for a pretty nice full wrap 066, but it doesn't usually go that way for me. :(

Since he was talking new saws, I was thinking of a really nice used saw, not some old beater. Hell, I picked up a 372xp for half that, but it's pretty beat up. And I know saws can be had for free or almost free if you happen to be at the right place at the right time. Even really nice ones. My buddy traded an old 5 gallon air compressor ($150) for a pretty nice full wrap 066, but it doesn't usually go that way for me. :(
I'm pretty sure those were stolen.

My thinking is, Why spend $500 on a saw that isn't up to the task, and is essentially the same saw the OP already owns? With a $500 budget, a very nice pro-grade 70cc saw could be acquired from any number of credible members of this forum (not me, I'm not to be trusted). ;)

Yes, it would be a used saw, but at least it would be capable of the task at hand. And the MS290 would make a fine backup saw in case the need should arise. 372xp, Dolmar 7900, 044/MS440, JRed 2171, etc... to name a few. o_O

I'll take my chances (again)..... sell me that 2171 pls..... as a get well gift to myself.:rock:

Seriously, if Clint parts with anything, Im gonna try my damndest to get in on the action. Trustworthy people are few and far between and Clint is one of the GOOD ONES we have here.

$500 is a lot money, but to mee $600 may as well the same for a tool you will keep a while. Get a 365xt or a 2166 and be way ahead of a husky 460. It'll be the best $100(more) you ever spent. There are sponsors here that sell those saw for right about that price. I don't know for sure but I bet the 460 won't oil a 24"+ bar all that well. A 365 will love that size bar.

op hasn't responded to this thread. I think he didn't care about our opinion after 3 contradicting posts. aka the first 3 posts in any which saw thread.

Hell, we all know these "what saw threads" aren't for the OPs..... they for all of us enthusiasts. Talking about saws justifies additional saw purchases. Usually, Im already looking or considering at that moment any saw that I recommend for myself. If I can talk an OP into a saw against you guys.... I feel I've earned the right to buy one for myself.:dizzy::ices_rofl:

Pathetic Riff-Raff buddies, everybody knows you need magnesium cased saws in no more than 3cc increments. I'm shopping for an 066 to fill out the gap in my 385,288,394 series, and I can't even start them!

Hey Noodle Arms,
To maintain harmony, I think that's a bad idea.

My thinking is, Why spend $500 on a saw that isn't up to the task, and is essentially the same saw the OP already owns? With a $500 budget, a very nice pro-grade 70cc saw could be acquired from any number of credible members of this forum (not me, I'm not to be trusted). ;)

Yes, it would be a used saw, but at least it would be capable of the task at hand. And the MS290 would make a fine backup saw in case the need should arise. 372xp, Dolmar 7900, 044/MS440, JRed 2171, etc... to name a few. o_O

Yeah, I've heard that about you, Clint...........LOL!

Thanks again for the 272XP (a used 70cc saw for well under the price of a 60cc Box Store Saw). Go figure.

I was thinking of a 372, now the 576 is in my mind. Still cant figure out the difference between the two. Was at the Saw shop the other day and the Stihl 291, the successor to the 290, is now over $500. Ouch!!! Prices are out of control.

Latest posts

Back