pro saws vs homeowner/farm and ect

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

are pro saws worth the extra $$

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We have to remember that we're enthusiasts here. Our concepts of need and worth are seriously skewed by our appreciation for qualities that are largely wasted on the occasional user. My own collection of saws is largely wasted on me, and I cut 7-9 cords a year. Take the guy who drives a Corvette to work through rush hour. In one sense, he's wasting a LOT of money in unused performance potential, in increased tire, fuel, and initial cost, but in another sense it's worth it to him. The homeowner saws are generally adequate for their intended use, and some of them, as we see, stand up to professional use as well. More homeowner saws, I suspect, are killed by ignorance and abuse than by honest work. An interesting question would be where exactly the line is, in terms of hours used with good fuel and maintanance, where the rebuildability of a pro saw pays for itself. Smilin Possum might be able to answer that except it sounds like his crew never wears out a saw. :)

Jack

I'd go pro if I could

I love my 039, and it is serving me well. No issues. I bought it used for $250, and it's great. But I'll eventually go to a 460 or so for the power. The price differential is pretty big, but if you want the power, you've got to pay for it. No homeowner saws that I know of are high compression and 70 something cc's.

I too will have to agree on the pro saws(I have three) but I have a home owner saw that is just outstanding, It is a John Deere CS36. This little saw gets used the most and if I get on the choke quick enough it will fire and run on the first pull everytime.

Brink

Last edited:
Fatguy said something to the effect of "Buy the best you can afford" and I agree 100% with that sentiment. I'd rather buy used Pro gear that I know I can maintain than new non-pro stuff that is designed to be discarded. Plus, there is the thrill of the hunt in finding a good deal.

What is it exactly that differentiates an occasional use saw from the pro saw ? In other words...what additional value are you getting for your money ? If the piston/cylinder are of similar quality is it heavier bearings or what ? The addition of an adjustable oil pump and compression release does not seem worth the additional dollars.

What is it exactly that differentiates an occasional use saw from the pro saw ? In other words...what additional value are you getting for your money ? If the piston/cylinder are of similar quality is it heavier bearings or what ? The addition of an adjustable oil pump and compression release does not seem worth the additional dollars.

in my experience about 10 more years of service and more power.

Spoken like a man whom does not make his living with his saw.

Spoken like a man whom does not make his living with his saw.

Exactly. Which is the same reason I am ok with a homeowner saw for now. I'd love to have a pro saw, but can't merit the expense at this point. If it was to make a living with, I wouldn't buy anything but a pro saw.

i suppose a man could go down to the pawn shop and buy about 25 pawned off box store specials for the price of one commercial saw.

is there any safety in numbers?

Normally I would say "Go Pro" , but Husky has totally muddied up the waters. They have line of quasi pro built saws that are just fantastic. The 353, 359 and 365 special are pro quality at slightly lower performance level. My thoughts are they would make a perfect saw for the home owner, gentlemen farmer.
ZG

You don't need to be a pro to benefit from a pro saw. If getting a pro saw means you have more fun, get more work done faster, etc. then a pro saw will pay for itself pretty quickly..
I'm a big fan of older used (CHEAP) pro saws myself, and probably will scoop up a 10532 here at some point just to add a bit.

Interesting reading! Lets look at the Husky 359 and the Husky NE346xp. By the manufacturers own categorizing of the two one is clearly a pro saw (346xp) and one is a landowner saw (359). MSRP. shows the 359 costing more, now it does have 9cc more, a dash more power, and a little more weight. So how come its not a "pro saw" or is it? It looks attractive to me. Is it made with the Mahle cly. and piston? It may not be exactly apples to apples but what is? The 359 has a decent following as well as the 346xp. Does it cost more because its better built? Given a choice of a free one what would you take, pro or landowner? I think I could like the landowner model in this particular case. REJ2

The 353 is the non-pro 346xp, the 359 is the non-pro 357xp. I think you have to make a distinction between homeowner and landowner grade as well as pro grade as the landowner grade is alot closer to pro then homeowner.

The 353 is the non-pro 346xp, the 359 is the non-pro 357xp. I think you have to make a distinction between homeowner and landowner grade as well as pro grade as the landowner grade is alot closer to pro then homeowner.

I do understand what your saying, but the OP's title was "pro saws vs. homeowner/ farm and ect". I was just considering landowner grade under the ect. category. REJ2.

the argument was that the non pro saw was just as good as the pro counterpart with the advantage that it costs $100 to $200 less.

Having been doing this for over three decades I have seen a bit.. not as much as some.. but likely as much as most.

Anybody that says a non-pro saw is as good as a pro version, regardless who makes the saw, frankly does not have a clue what they are talking about.. period.. :censored:

Simply put, "pro" series saws are better built, so they can take rougher treatment and still last a long time.

The initial cost may be more for a pro saw, unless purchased used.

However, long term maintenance will typically be less. The saw will likely weight less than a non-pro of similar sized engine. The saw will handle a kicking much better than its non-pro cousin. It will likely be a bit smaller in size.. etc.

An example of this, but there are many, would be the MS260 and MS270.

MS270 50.0cc 3.5hp 11.7lbs
MS260 50.2cc 3.5hp 10.6lbs

Further to this the MS260 is smaller in physical dimensions.

On top of that, the pro saw will have a much higher resale value, if you ever decide to sell it.. not sure who would sell a saw :)

That's not really at issue. What gets things going around here is whether or not a certain user is better off with a pro or a homeowner series saw based on their needs. Some cite cost vs only occasional use as a factor in favor of homeowners saws, while some say it's better in the long run if money is an issue to get a strong used pro saw.

It is an ongoing debate. In earlier years, I would have said buy the new non-pro version, it will do the job and be good enough.. all you will need. Now, a few years into it, I would likely say that if you can find a good used pro for the same or similar cost, then by all means pick up the used model. (maybe even if it costs a bit more then still do it!)

That argument never will be settled. :givebeer:

Likely not!! But for me.. there is no comparison.. get the pro saw. If you look in my signature you will see that I have models of both non-pro and pro.. and this is not even all my saws (I have a Dolmar and 2 Husqvarna's lot listed - best update the signature sometime..)

I have always bit the bullet and done without until I could make the investment in something that I know will give me the best return on my investment. In the fall of 1978 bought my first chain saw, a Stihl 032 and it still runs like a top today, several spark plugs, a couple of air filters and maybe a bar nut or two and a few bars and chains being the only required maint., the same thing with a 028 WB I bought in 80 or 81, they have never had the jugs pulled and they have had the pizz used out of them, from cleaning up old rough places to selling firewood in the winter, I'd hate to guess how many cords they have cut. I'd filled a two ton truck with box store saws junked out and probably a 1/2 ton with some of the home owner saws on the market. Everyday end of use maint, is key, blow the saws off, clean the air filter, touch up the chain, top off gas and oil. We carry a stiff bristle brush in our saw box, every fill up in the woods the area around the oil and gas get brushed off, especially those darn flippy caps, dirt magnets, the bars get flipped. It's all about protecting the investment.
I don't think I'd get that out of a current clam shell product regardless of the mfg., I've done the same with weed eaters, hand tools and farm equipment.
What's a 100.00 over 10,20, 30 years? Savings that's what.
If a guy uses a saw just a few times a year maybe the home owner saw will fit the bill just right. How many people wish that had took the 100-150 bucks they have spent on a wild thing or crapsman and just saved a month or two longer than be frustrated by poor performance and poor service issues.
Buy the best you can the first time, it'll save money in the long run.

Is there an answer to the question? It seems to me non-pro comes in about a half-dozen grades, depending on who's asking:

Non pro/homeowner:
*Green Poulan, current homelite, etc....aluminum bore, plastic crankcases, etc.
*Yellow Poulan...chrome bore/plastic elswwhere.
*Little Efco, Stihl, Husky, etc...made by a "real" chainsaw company; some are still plastic, but better.
*hard-to-decide: Stihl 250, Husky/Jonny 50cc metal saws
*Saws like the Husky 61/Jonny 625 that started out pro, but ended up yesterday's news. Was Stihl 024, 034 a homeowner model, when superceded by 026, 036?

IMO, the line between is pretty wide, gray, and fuzzy. My "homeowner" Jonsered 2149 has around 300 hrs on it, and other than looking like a saw with 300 hrs on it, runs just fine.

I have both pro and non pro models and it don't make no never mind to me what hood ornament it is sporting. Best to concentrate on back pain, safety, sharp chains, and how when I cut that next limb is it going to swing back and bash my head in. Taking good care of a saw is more important than if it says pro model on it or not.

The way i see it, pro saw or not, if you don't take care of it, it will die just as fast. That being said i own both and had hours of fun but.... if i were to start all over and had see how much i enjoy sawing wood i would go with the pro. In the same breath, if you only use it once in a while buy the homeowner's.

Back