Protective gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got these last week based on folks' recommendations here.

main.php

I only do this as a spin-off from my woodworking hobby, so I'll wear whatever equipment is necessary from having this enjoyable passtime turn into a life threatening episode.

At the risk of being hailed jerk, I'll direct you to the search feature here on this site. Not because I don't want to talk about it with you, but rather because it's been talked about quite extensively already, and a search will yield you tons of good information.

My PPE selection is varied based on what and where I'm cutting. Different helmets for falling, climbing and firewood, etc. Provided the search function is working, you'll read some of my posts elaborating.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Last edited:
Walker,

I wear steel toed leather boots and chaps always. Then, either a forestry helmet, or just good eye and ear protection depending on what i'm doing. I also usually wear a pair of fingerless leather gloves. My PPE stuff is mostly Stihl branded, but only because I like my local dealer, he treats me decent, and I like to support locals as much as possible.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=34271

Eye protection, ear protection, chaps, gloves that fit well, and workboots. Helmet/face screen can be helpful in certain instances, too. When the choice exists to get a dark color or blaze orange, I'd go with the blaze orange - easier to be seen in the woods by your cutting companions (if you have them), and it'll be easier for rescue personel to find you if you get yourself hurt, too.

FreecycleTree2.jpg

I invested in the all in one Husky helmet similar to the one Hack posted a picture of above. Well worth the money. The eye protection is better because you don't sweat and see clearly without fogged goggles. The helmet is confortable, and you can take off the hearing protection without loosing them, they stay attached. Before this helmet I didn't always wear all of the protection.

I have husky chaps, and the husky logging helmet system..I like them, wouldn't go into the woods with out them now that I have REAL saw to play with instead of homeowner saws(pullon). One thing i recommend is the optional plexiglass faceshield for the helmet system. The screen takes some gettin use to, and it lets that fine dust get thru to your eyes. Should wear saftey glasses underneath it I've been told but that sucks!

Safety equipment

One thing about being half blind is the company I work for provides prescription safety glasses so I've always got a pair on. I finally started wearing all the safety equipment since I found this site. The Husqvarna helmet gets used with my brush cutter as well as my chainsaws. Chaps are worn most of the time (I'm getting better) the saw is running. We are also provided with steel toe boots at work so thats another freeby. I would be interested in finding a good protective glove if anybody wants to chime in.
I wear leather gloves most of the time but don't know if this is adequate protection. :popcorn:

I am glad someone brought this topic up. I have been wondering how many of you actually use the chaps and helmet. Now I have a good idea. Thanks for the links to the previous threads.

I have not been using the safety equipment I should. It is easy to make excuses. As I have added bigger and faster saws, I have decided to start wearing ppe.

I love this site and as a way of thanking Bailey's for supporting it, I have placed another order with them, this time for chaps and a helmet system, plus a few other items.

Thanks Bailey's for the great prices, selection and service.

Jim

1. Chaps or my Husky Pro Forest Pants
  2. Husky Helmet System
  3. Husky Gloves (with left hand protection)
  4. Sometimes....a Husky Pro Forest Jacket
I guess I kinda like Hooska saws and such. See goofus in avatar photo...

Back