Question for guys that have been long time climbers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, waiting on the ground crew will kill production fast. . When I run the ropes for him, not much communication is needed and things move very fast because I follow what he is doing and anticipate his needs. I never interupt his focus unless it is pertinent to the situation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

True say! This reminded of just before I moved to the United States and I had down sized, and my crew were less than stellar. My head was in my hands in the tree in the cold waiting around for things to be done. Thankfully I have some great guys around me again now, and it doesn't matter who is where, or who is doing what it operates like clockwork and seems to get better all the time. A good crew is everything.

Yep a good crew is the bomb I remember my best crew
they all climbed, five man climb crew + me the boss made
six and they were awesome, I only climbed the ones they
feared ! I had a headbanger,a 100% Indian, a trapper,
a Mexican American and another cowboy. We were a motley
crew and the newspapers called us the crazy mountain crew lol.
We climbed the stuff the giraffe could not get to! Them boys
could flat trim a line out pronto and we were a team.

Doing trees for twenty years. No major injuries, just a few cuts and nicks. However, the chronic stuff has built up: Arthritis in my ribs leading to chronic chest pain, tennis elbow from pole sawing, trick ankle from footlocking, stiff neck every now and then from looking up a good part of the day, etc., etc.

As everyone has said, don't become too sure of yourself. Each time I climb I check and recheck my knots, carabiners, rope placements, and so on. Keep a minor amount of healthy fear in you and let it keep you safe. Best of luck to you!

In 12 years. I went to the hospitial for a cracked rib. Another time from my 200t in the tree.(left thumb, 5 stitches). And one more time from my 200t in the tree.....(Left thumb, index, and middle finger...8 stitches) very luck man.

By the way, the chainsaw cuts were all from the big cut....the top of White Pines. All rigged, but trying to brace myself for the ride alittle to quick. That was in the past....now...... well, :hmm3grin2orange:

In 12 years. I went to the hospitial for a cracked rib. Another time from my 200t in the tree.(left thumb, 5 stitches). And one more time from my 200t in the tree.....(Left thumb, index, and middle finger...8 stitches) very luck man.

By the way, the chainsaw cuts were all from the big cut....the top of White Pines. All rigged, but trying to brace myself for the ride alittle to quick. That was in the past....now...... well, :hmm3grin2orange:

Brace heck ride that puppy pard :laugh:

BuckingBronco.jpg

Climber since 1981

In response to the original question: a few nicks and cuts early on in my climbing career, a couple stiches. Later on, a sprained thumb. The last 15 years have been good to me in the tree. Of course, I spend a lot of time in the bucket, now. The thing I have found is that I'm a lot more careful and deliberate in my movements around the tree, free-climbing very little, actually setting a climbing line and using it. My significant injuries happened while working on the ground: herniated disk, 288xp cut just above the knee: improper lifing technique and improper cutting technique, respectively. Trying to climb/work smarter, not harder. Happy New Year to all. Peace.

A little off topic, but...

The 288 was an awesome saw indeed. That was my first "big saw", that thing lasted like 10 years or better and sure was a screamer. I bought a 385 to replace it and was a little disappointed with it. I've got a 395 also now, thats a saw right there.

Oh, yeah I sprained my thumb once too - I dont think that counts really though, when you consider what could happen.

Dangerous but addictive this treeworking thing.

I've been climbing six years now, but I've been a tree worker for ten plus. I worked six years for a company as top groundie, I've climbed for asplundh around the lines, and currently I'm the top climber for a growing company in Wisconsin(and still haul ass on the ground once I'm out of the tree).

Once I had a pole saw dangling on a limb above me (big no no) during a routine prune job fall and tear my pants from the waist down to the ankle on the side of my leg (missed my flesh somehow). Once on the ground I had a pretty large limb fall on my helmet and I saw stars for a split second but kept on working. I wake up with a sore neck once in a while from looking up all day long, but that's about it.

Ten years in the industry and I have never once been injured. When I work in or around trees, I zone into my surroundings from checking and rechecking equipment, planning escape routes, looking for the strongest possible TIP etc...

I think if fear and complacency get the better of you, that is when unfortunate situations occur.

Now, only if I was paid a bit more for what I did, I wouldn't change this job for anything in the world.

Where about?

I work for a company in the Milwaukee area John. I guess I don't want to say which one for my "only if i got paid better" comment.

Back