Question for Stihl dealers re: Service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here in my neck of the woods, let me tell you a story. We have a Stihl dealer here that has been around for 30 or more years. About 7 years ago a Lowe's was built right next door, literally. My family has bought Stihl's from them over the years. The other year when I lost my job I needed to make money, so I decided to cut firewood and sell it. At the time I didn't have much money so I bought a husky rancher from Lowes because of the cost. I was planning on buying a Stihl after my first season. To make a long story short, I tried to get the Husky fixed there because I trusted their service. They told me to get bent because I bought it at Lowes. They won't work on anything that wasn't bought at their shop because their panties are in a twist over Lowes. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and DIY. What I found out from DIY is this: fixing and modifying the worlds most simple internal combustion motors isn't rocket science, and most service centers don't employ mechanics they employ parts changers. IMO the whole Stihl corporation and their overpriced cadillac saws aren't any better than the other manufacturers, in fact stock saws suck altogether. So from a DIY standpoint Stihl can get bent because even stock a Dolmar 7900 cuts better than a 441! and parts are cheaper.:cheers:

So thats why you got a hard on for Stihl, the Stihl dealer told you where to stick your Lowes bought Husky, makes sense to me,LOLOLOLOL

See Tom, the difference in a box store is we thank butthole customers for going to the local dealer--hell, we send 'em that way. The dealers, however, chew them out for coming to us. Sad thing is, they keep coming to us. :angry::yoyo::ices_rofl:

See Tom, the difference in a box store is we thank butthole customers for going to the local dealer--hell, we send 'em that way. The dealers, however, chew them out for coming to us. Sad thing is, they keep coming to us. :angry::yoyo::ices_rofl:

Well I see alot of his posts busting on Stihl so now I know why. I can't figure out why he didn't take his Husky to the Husky dealer, I mean I take my Chevy to the Chevy dealer for service, not the Ford dealer.

They keep coming to you ya say, good!!:ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

I don't understand why the customer didn't just take it back to Lowe's with that story. Under warranty, chances are they'd just give him a new one. But, as a shop owner, I'd explain the financial dilemma -- If he wanted the mower back right away, either you would have to buy the parts and trust him to pay for the repair if the warranty claim was denied, or he would have to pay for the repair and trust you to reimburse him if the claim was accepted. Of those two options, the latter makes better business sense and you get to call that shot since you're the one with the tools and the knowledge. If he didn't want to deal with Lowe's and didn't want to accept the risk that the warranty would be denied, he could leave the mower while you did the repair and waited for the warranty process.

In return, though, if he had bought the mower from you wouldn't you feel some obligation to assume the risk? That's one benefit of buying from a dealer, and I see no reason to pretend it's not so. If you have a good dealer, it makes sense to do business with him for many reasons, not the least of which is to keep the dollar turning in the community.

Jack

Retailers will not take the repair of the engine or equipment. They send you to an authorized engine or equipment repair facility.

I love to work on my own stuff. I do my own work when I can, and the machines are amazingly simple. I do go to my dealers and remain loyal, as they can do warranty work (where there is no risk if I screw up) and get me partswhen I need them. I have not had a problem with the Stihl or Husky (Poulan Parts) Dealers where I live. Both run great businesses.

Last edited:
So thats why you got a hard on for Stihl, the Stihl dealer told you where to stick your Lowes bought Husky, makes sense to me,LOLOLOLOL

Absolutely 100% correct. Now my mission in life is to lead people down the mail order-DIY road. Why? because as I've stated small engines aren't rocket science. Just wait till I build my jonsahuskolux hybrid!:dizzy:

Not a jonstihlahuskolux hybrid?

By hybrid do you also mean it will have a battery in it?

So then it would be a jonstihlahuskoluxdewalt.

Last edited:
I believe it was Spike60 who said "So much of this has to do with attitude. I think that people sometimes feel that courtesy isn't required from the customer side of the counter."

How true, how true. I work as a computer consultant at a unversity. Even if a client is an absolute jerk, and there are some, I can't hang up on him or throw him out of my office, at least I can't if I want to still be employed tomorrow. So, I kinda envy a dealer who is in business for himself, an independent businessman, who can tell an abusive customer to go p*ss up a rope.

Absolutely 100% correct. Now my mission in life is to lead people down the mail order-DIY road. Why? because as I've stated small engines aren't rocket science. Just wait till I build my jonsahuskolux hybrid!:dizzy:

Well rocket science isn't needed to tell me you aren't the brightest rock in the box either. Your groaning because another brand dealer(Stihl) told you where to stick the Lowes bought brand(Husky) yet your not groaning about Lowes for not servicing it and yet thats where you bought it,:dizzy::dizzy:

Your mission is life is working good though, you wanna order a new Stihl online,LOL

attachment.php

ah ya know what? The reason I was so put off by that one particular dealer is: I know I could take the thing back to Lowes, but as I said I trusted this dealer. I was just trying to spread my money around believe it or not. I had intentions of buying a 361 the next season. Long story short-I TOOK IT BACK TO LOWES AND THEY GAVE ME A NEW SAW THE SAME DAY. I laugh every time I drive by thier place on my way to Lowes.

An old school friend of mine bought a brand new Wild Child and it blew up on him. He took it back and cussed them out up and down and went and bought a Husky 455. Then he found out they are owned by the same company and was really pissed. He finally just said screw it and now just laughs about it. He wasn't to wise on saws but I am teaching him now the difference in cheap saws and good saws. What a home owner saw is and a pro saw. And finding a good dealer and stay out of the box stores.

Well rocket science isn't needed to tell me you aren't the brightest rock in the box either. Your groaning because another brand dealer(Stihl) told you where to stick the Lowes bought brand(Husky) yet your not groaning about Lowes for not servicing it and yet thats where you bought it,:dizzy::dizzy:

Your mission is life is working good though, you wanna order a new Stihl online,LOL

attachment.php

Noticed this on their site also. Even the mighty Stihl is starting to come into the future(well kinda) you still have to pick it up in store.

Can ya blame a guy for getting the most bang for his buck (Husky 455 Rancher) just to put food on the table? Keep in mind I used to run dirt bikes back in the 80's where dya think I got my parts then? You guessed it the dealer. I know how things work, it's too late for me anyway. Knowing what I know now I would never buy new anyway.

ah ya know what? The reason I was so put off by that one particular dealer is: I know I could take the thing back to Lowes, but as I said I trusted this dealer. I was just trying to spread my money around believe it or not. I had intentions of buying a 361 the next season. Long story short-I TOOK IT BACK TO LOWES AND THEY GAVE ME A NEW SAW THE SAME DAY. I laugh every time I drive by thier place on my way to Lowes.

Well why aren't you laffing here instead of whinning, you trying to get some cheese to go along with it or something? Fact is that dealer hurt your feelings by telling you where to stick that saw. He didn't need your business and it ticks you, get over it, grow a set, be happy, Lowes is always there for you.

Now you wanna order that new 361 or what,LOLOL

Noticed this on their site also. Even the mighty Stihl is starting to come into the future(well kinda) you still have to pick it up in store.

Thats right. When Fred orders his new 361 he will have to come see me, the guy he has a mission againist. However should he ever need service I and any other Stihl dealer will gladly help him out. He can take that Husky over to Lowes though, I'm not messing with that one,hahahaha

In 50 years, Stihl will have gone the way of McCollough and Sears. Mark my word.

You mean they are gonna pull a Huskyvarny in 50 yrs, good, I'll be dead by then,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well why aren't you laffing here instead of whinning, you trying to get some cheese to go along with it or something? Fact is that dealer hurt your feelings by telling you where to stick that saw. He didn't need your business and it ticks you, get over it, grow a set, be happy, Lowes is always there for you.

Now you wanna order that new 361 or what,LOLOL[/QUOTE

Does the 361 have a trans nueter valve on the impulse line to regulate the impulse fluid pressure? If not I'll pass. The only good thing Stihl makes is the FS-66 trimmer I have. It still defacates all over itself every time I get out the Makita. Do they make oem diapers for it?

Back