Question I picked up a ms250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrevan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Question I got a ms250 from a local small engine repair shop where most of the guys sales Comes from mowers. Anyhow he wanted $110. I got for $90. I will attach a pic he said only prob when came in the break handle was broken so replaced from what I see is maybe replace the bar soon. Also what's your guys take on ms271 a local pawnshop has one and wants $250 but can get them down some it looks in decent shape haven't tested it out yet.

Attachments

• 20240315_171810.jpg
    20240315_171810.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
Question I got a ms250 from a local small engine repair shop where most of the guys sales Comes from mowers. Anyhow he wanted $110. I got for $90. I will attach a pic he said only prob when came in the break handle was broken so replaced from what I see is maybe replace the bar soon. Also what's your guys take on ms271 a local pawnshop has one and wants $250 but can get them down some it looks in decent shape haven't tested it out yet.
Also guy started it in front of me said alot of others interested kept flooding it. I don't remember if that's a common issue on ms250 as my last one didn't have that long.

Personally- I would leave the 271 where it sits for some other mug to find- I have no love for anything in the 271 to 291 range.
250 is a good wee saw, in my opinion Stihl clamshells are miles better than the Husqvarna equivalents, but yes, some people have some issues starting them- I think they spend too long on full choke and maybe miss that initial pop where you would move to half choke/fast idle position on the master control.

brake

I'm not sold on the MS250. I've had three of them around here this month and couldn't get any of them to start right. I bought some new gas and am going to try that next. Also, there's no need for an engine that small to be so hard to pull over. Stihl really should have redesigned their starter assembly.

I have the MS271 and it's a good machine. It seems that the only people who trash it are those who never owned one. In fact, I have two.

I have the MS271 and it's a good machine. It seems that the only people who trash it are those who never owned one. In fact, I have two.

Umm. I own one. And, I sometimes run 291s and 311s at work.

I hope I don't fully fall into the category of people who "trash" those saws. But, I will say there are clearly better alternatives. Especially, for those who can live with saws which they buy used.

My MS271 starts when I pull the cord, and the chain spins when I pull the trigger, and it cuts wood. But, my gosh: all the weight of a 036 and all the yank of a 025. (Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration.)

The Stihl web site has 2,200 reviews of the 271...4.5 out of five stars. Clearly, the folks buying them are happy.

On the other hand, a $175 running 026 (Not my saw):

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:036bbab3-2499-4eab-b2da-74d6cc35acd3

R.

It’s a great saw for up to 12”. It’ll cut more, but then it is really working too hard. Fresh fuel is a must, doesn’t like stale fuel. Mine starts all the time third pull. Someone else mentioned they’re hard to restart when hot. I have had that problem a couple of times not always. If it’s hot I don’t shut it off if I have to put it down. I plan the work so it’s not idling long, that way it’s running when I grab it and no hard starts. I do have at least one other bigger saw with me just in case. It has been good to me and use it as much as I can without stressing it on stuff too large. Also run it at 40:1 for insurance.

All the above statements are accurate. Love em or hate em. Some people say they pull over hard. Some people have trouble getting them started because they miss the first pop and flood them. I have cut my firewood for decades with an 025 or MS250 and love it. Nice and light weight. Use an 18" bar if you are limbing and don't want to bend over. 16" bar works best for most work= less drag on the engine= more power for cutting. If the 16" bar is too short for the work you are doing, move up to a larger saw. The MS271 is an ok saw, but I would look to get something bigger to complement the MS250 you already have.
Lots of possibilities to upgrade your MS250. A Walbro WT-215 carb will give you the ability to fully adjust the fuel mixture and can make it run better. A muffler mod and timing advance will wake it up too. Install double starter pawls. Elastostart handle will make it easier to pull over. Try using Stihl RS full chisel chain, it will cut much faster. Run a bead of grease around the edge of the air filter to seal out fine sawdust.

Personally- I would leave the 271 where it sits for some other mug to find- I have no love for anything in the 271 to 291 range.
250 is a good wee saw, in my opinion Stihl clamshells are miles better than the Husqvarna equivalents, but yes, some people have some issues starting them- I think they spend too long on full choke and maybe miss that initial pop where you would move to half choke/fast idle position on the master control.
Spot on reply! :cool: OT

All the above statements are accurate. Love em or hate em. Some people say they pull over hard. Some people have trouble getting them started because they miss the first pop and flood them. I have cut my firewood for decades with an 025 or MS250 and love it. Nice and light weight. Use an 18" bar if you are limbing and don't want to bend over. 16" bar works best for most work= less drag on the engine= more power for cutting. If the 16" bar is too short for the work you are doing, move up to a larger saw. The MS271 is an ok saw, but I would look to get something bigger to complement the MS250 you already have.
Lots of possibilities to upgrade your MS250. A Walbro WT-215 carb will give you the ability to fully adjust the fuel mixture and can make it run better. A muffler mod and timing advance will wake it up too. Install double starter pawls. Elastostart handle will make it easier to pull over. Try using Stihl RS full chisel chain, it will cut much faster. Run a bead of grease around the edge of the air filter to seal out fine sawdust.
I was going to chime in with all those suggestions. I’ve done them to my MS250 and it’s a little ripper. Purchased it new 20yrs ago and it’s been cutting wood weekly ever since. It was my main saw until I found AS and realized I needed an 026 because it’s nicer, an 066 because it’s an 066, an 038 MagII and a MS201T.

The 250 is a little workhorse if you take care of it but that applies to anything.

While I believe the OP should just run the 250, for me the fatal flaw with that saw is, around here, a used MS250 costs the same as a 026 or MS260. There are a several advantages to a $200 026 over a $200 MS250.
I believe the OP said he paid $90 for it. Good buy if it runs. jmho :cool: OT

It's runs I got a deal guys shop wanted $110. I got for $90 as people wanting it kept flooding it so couldn't get going then shop owner fired it up for me said people where flooding it took him like 3 pulls.
Easiest stihl to flood in my humble opinion. I have found that the 250 doesn't always give the noticeable pop when choked resulting in continued pulling and thus flooding. I choke, pull twice, then remove choke. It will usually fire right up. jmho :cool: OT

Latest posts

Back