Received a call from the Sheriff's Dept......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamtree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I rec'd a call from the sheriff's department the other night. They asked if I was missing anything.

Two days earlier....I pulled out a Stihl MS460 to cut a few big pieces at my wood lot. I sat the saw on the front bumber of my bucket truck and went on to do a couple of things. I got in the truck and took off for the shop (about 2 miles away from wood lot). Half way back I realized I left the saw on the bumper. I went ahead to the shop and jumped in my pick up truck to go find the saw. It was no where to be found. Two of my employees saw someone pull over and pick something up off the road. I thought my saw was gone and I was going to have to buy a new one (roughly $850).

The guy who picked it up turned it in to the sheriff's department. They called the local Stihl dealer and did a serial # check and found out the saw was registered to me.

What would you do to thank this person?

If he needs tree work, a discount service would work.

If not, how about a gift certificate for a decent local restaurant?

What would you do to thank this person?

Very nice turnout. Hopefully not too much damage to the saw.

If you have time I'd offer them a great rate on some work for them. If not, a gift card or cash. $10 or $20 is not alot, but the gesture is greatly appreciated.

We just got back from Maine on our annual vacation. We were flying kites in a field when a gust of wind blew my sons kite out of my hands. It got caught in a power line as was flying nicely over a house. We knocked on the door and asked if they would hold the kite for us when it came down. We came back a few hours later and picked it up. They had called the power company, who apparently did not mind at all retrieving a kite to make a 6 year old boy happy. That kite was only worth $10 but we stopped back the next day with a card an $5 gift certificate to the local department store. She was pretty taken aback. I told my boys the whole thing was a great opportunity to meet some of the locals in a place where the vacationers can be a nuisance to the community. I know we made a good acquaintance that day. We'll probably bring up some small gift from here next year to keep that bond. You never know when those dividends will pay off.

Some people just plain feel real good about there self when they do a good deed, some States are far better then others, Iowa for example.

Most never look for a gain, just counting on karma to get them back, but agreed with others, wouldn't it feel good to gift them back something!

Thanks for the replies.

I will get him a gift certificate for $50 so it will cover him and his wife's bill at a good restaurant. He literally gave me about $700 that I could have easily lost.

No damage at all to the saw. A few scratches but works perfectly.

I agree about the doing the good deed. I feel the same way when I charge my customers a little less than what I quoted if the job goes real smooth. They think it is great and I feel good about doing something good.

Have a good weekend!!!

I think many of us just feel good about doing good things for people. This woman at the grocery store lot was locked out of her car. It was a newer car and very tight on its door seals. She came up to me and asked who she should call to get back in. I told her I would go home and get my lock-out kit. You all know how we always get catalogs at our company offices. Well, I once ordered a car door lock-out kit from a catalog. I think I wanted it just because it stated in the catalog, "Not for sale to individuals. You must be a licensed fleet owner!" OK, yeah, sure, whatever. Anyway---I raced home, got the kit, and popped that door open in under thirty seconds. I had never used the kit before, and this woman gave me a chance to see if it worked. She offered me $20 which I turned down with a, "That's OK, have a great day!" As I drove off I felt darn good!

It sure is nice to know there are still some good people in this world. Glad you got the saw back! around here..byebye. Agree w/ everyone on the gift ideas! Gift certificate is real nice

Dinner, schminner. i'd ask em what kind of tree they would like planted in their yard.

If youve got a wood yard, do they have a fireplace?

Someone helped my dad out of a jam while I was up at the folks place. They didnt know I was based in Wellington and mentioned their daughter had a tree job to be done but because she was a student she couldnt afford to get an arborist in wellington to do it. She was going to Uni in so I got enough info from them to work out how to find her. (turns out she was one of my mates neighbours so it was pretty easy, I even knew what tree they were talking about.)
Took only a couple hours of pruning to bring in some winter sun into a typical student hovel. And left them with some wood we had got from a previous job. The 5 Girls at the house were very grateful. Dropped alot of wood off over the next couple years.

2 hours work for 2 man crew=$240
Convieniant dump for wood in city and being able to go out clubbing and have pretty women introduce you to all of there friends=Priceless.

Ahh I sometimes miss being single....but only a little.

Last edited:
Government employees often cannot receive gifts.

But a special thank-you card would be fine.

Or, deliver one or two dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts to their office as a thank-you with a card. ;)

Government employees often cannot receive gifts.

But a special thank-you card would be fine.

Or, deliver one or two dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts to their office as a thank-you with a card. ;)

The guy who turned it in, not the deputies who did the legwork. But that would be a nice jesture.

Bridgton, on Highland Lake. Beautiful area, like much of Maine. We've been going for 3 year and each year we try to discover a little more of the state.
Nice place. My aunt and uncle have a house on a lake a couple minutes from Bridgton. I'd go with the rest of the guys about buying them dinner.

Evan

Back