Recommend me a saw - details inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got about 2 years on my 490 without any problems. Just changed it to 3/8 lp and really like it setup this way. Never ran one of the little Dollars but everything I read seems positive. All the saws suggeted in this thread are good options. Pick the one that feels best in your hands feed it good mix and keep the chain sharp it will last a long long time.

Yup ECHO is the best bang for your buck,STIHL SUCKS anyway you look at it..Parts are $$$$$$$ if they need repairs that they do like everyday JUNK=STIHL

Ha Ha never heard Stihl refered to as " junk " but do agree with the majority.
Echo seems to be the best bang for the buck.
I have the 490 in my stable, really nice 50cc saw.
Never can go wrong with Dolmar either.

OK have been reading saw advice with interest. I have been using saws for more than 50 years. My first saw was a Mac and it was old probably in a museum somewhere. I have about 8 Stihls and 3 Huskys now. Have only used Stihls and Huskys. After all this time one would think that I should know every thing, but I do not. My smallest saws are 60 cc. I do not know what some one would do with a 50 cc saw. However I have been reading about Homelite, Mac, Dolmar, and Echo. Are these saws usable and are parts easy to find. What web sites sale these saws. Thanks

Echos are every where around here. Hell even the good Stihl dealer at the feed store started selling them.
I have a feeling that those Stihl dealers are picking up the Echo line to have a less expensive offering. People walk into their store wanting to buy a chainsaw but when they see the price of the Stihl, they are ready to head to their local Home Depot to buy a Poulan. Having a second, less expensive line gives the dealers the ability to keep the customer in the store and still make the sale.

The list price on an Echo 490 is the same as the list price on a Stihl MS250. The OP was looking for used saws. He's more likely to find a used MS250 than an Echo as Stihls are the most common saw in most places and MS250/025s are very common Stihls. I have an Echo 352 as well as some Stihls including an 025. I like the Echo but I have noticed that parts are more expensive than Stihl parts.

I have a feeling that those Stihl dealers are picking up the Echo line to have a less expensive offering. People walk into their store wanting to buy a chainsaw but when they see the price of the Stihl, they are ready to head to their local Home Depot to buy a Poulan. Having a second, less expensive line gives the dealers the ability to keep the customer in the store and still make the sale.
I thought they had picked up Echo just so they had a better string trimmer on hand to sell lol.

The list price on an Echo 490 is the same as the list price on a Stihl MS250. The OP was looking for used saws. He's more likely to find a used MS250 than an Echo as Stihls are the most common saw in most places and MS250/025s are very common Stihls. I have an Echo 352 as well as some Stihls including an 025. I like the Echo but I have noticed that parts are more expensive than Stihl parts.

I only mentioned the Echo cause some times finding a "fixer upper" saw you might end up money a head on buying new. I also shamelessly plugged a ps510 with a new p/c I have for sale but haven't posted yet here.

Wowzer! Thanks for all the info and offers! If I was in WA I’d take you up on the saw offer - thanks. I’m down in California.
Just read through all the posts.

I wanted to stick to Echo or Stihl because when/if I get stuck on a repair or need parts, the local shop will help me out. I’m not opposed to other brands; heck, whatever gets the job done is good in my book. I’d buy new, but that’s just not what I want right now. We live “in the city” and, unfortunately, schools don’t teach kids anything that’s not in a book, so I’ve made sure to educate them on everything else. I’ve got 5 of ‘em, so there’s plenty of hands eager to experiment/experience. A used saw will give us a little extra to do, I think.

I’m leaning heavily toward the 490. There are some used ones around here, but they’re a little steep considering the price for a new one. Maybe I can talk someone down. There’s also a used 025 that I might take a look at too.

Great info - thanks!

Doesn't meet your criteria for local support, but the husky 340, 345, 350, 353, 346 seem ideal for a project saw and learning experience. Inexpensive OEM and AM parts are available from dealers who post here and other vendors. There are numerous videos to learn from.

Wowzer! Thanks for all the info and offers! If I was in WA I’d take you up on the saw offer - thanks. I’m down in California.
Just read through all the posts.

I wanted to stick to Echo or Stihl because when/if I get stuck on a repair or need parts, the local shop will help me out. I’m not opposed to other brands; heck, whatever gets the job done is good in my book. I’d buy new, but that’s just not what I want right now. We live “in the city” and, unfortunately, schools don’t teach kids anything that’s not in a book, so I’ve made sure to educate them on everything else. I’ve got 5 of ‘em, so there’s plenty of hands eager to experiment/experience. A used saw will give us a little extra to do, I think.

I’m leaning heavily toward the 490. There are some used ones around here, but they’re a little steep considering the price for a new one. Maybe I can talk someone down. There’s also a used 025 that I might take a look at too.

Great info - thanks!
490 at a Customer Appreciation dealer sale is $275 new.

I'd like to get my hands on a Dolmar sometime. I haven't seen one in person.
I’ve owned Dolmars, very well made saw, but for my preference for handling, I sold the Dolmars and kept the Echos. All my bigger saws, bigger for me, are Makita. Blue Dolmar.

I'd like to get my hands on a Dolmar sometime. I haven't seen one in person.

Mine continue to impress me every time I use them. Had my little 421 buried to the dogs yesterday on a bore cut in a 36" pine. It does it with ease as long as the chain is sharp. The 7910 got a little hung up under the stump, so I had to cut it free with the 421. :dancing:

Latest posts

Back