Recommend me a SAW !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello all.....iam in the market for a new chain saw. I have been partial to stihl my hole life but now iam looking to get the best saw for my needs. Iam going to be doing 50-100 cord a year from 20' log lengths average diameter 14-20 inch. Saw will run a tank a day 3-4 days then one long 6 hour day a week. Money is no object i will pay what is needed to get the best saw for the job. Please leave your recommendation what saw company and model number followed by a quick reason why that company and model number. Thank you all for your time.
From the ''wood nut''

sloth9669 said:
Hello all.....iam in the market for a new chain saw. I have been partial to stihl my hole life but now iam looking to get the best saw for my needs. Iam going to be doing 50-100 cord a year from 20' log lengths average diameter 14-20 inch. Saw will run a tank a day 3-4 days then one long 6 hour day a week. Money is no object i will pay what is needed to get the best saw for the job. Please leave your recommendation what saw company and model number followed by a quick reason why that company and model number. Thank you all for your time.
From the ''wood nut''

Your very wide spread on how many cords your going to cut, 50-100, but you know very certain the tree's will be 14-20in. You know too how much gas a day your going to burn and how many hours its going to run. Hell if you know all that then your pulling someones leg here. Looking at your needs I would say the thing you need most is alot of wood to saw.

spike60 said:
You might only want one saw, but you're sure going to get a lot of opinions!
thats quite true. opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.

I'd go with a Husky 357XP. running 3/8 pitch chisel chain, thats a nice saw to use. put a 20" bar on, keep a razor sharp chain, and let the chips FLY.

Either a 440 or a 460. Love both of them. Just got a 044 today, forgot why I love those things so much... they rip for their weight, plus they have a heavier flywheel, so they keep the rpms up a little better in the cut.

spike60 said:
You might only want one saw, but you're sure going to get a lot of opinions!

He doesn't need a saw, he's stirring the pot Spike. Look at his post again. He knows way too much in advance. He's given us a equation to respond to, a well planned one too. Got to give him credit though, your right, he's going to get alot of opionions............

I have a supplier lined up and know what iam getting for product every 2 weeks. I know when iam going to be sawing because i work around my full time job and the range 50-100 cords is all depending if some goes out green to make room for more cords or if i have to sit on it and sell it seasoned thus causing me to stop getting trucks of wood delivered thus affecting my overall output for the year. I entend to do 5 cords every 2 weeks for 6 months = 60 cords a year. I also know all this because any good business man knows every little detail of his operation. Knowing the details when you are running your own business is the difference of just making a living and living it up.

Last edited:
sloth9669 said:
I have a supplier lined up and know what iam getting for product every 2 weeks. I know when iam going to be sawing because i work around my full time job and the range 50-100 cords is all depending if some goes out green to make room for more cords or if i have to sit on it and sell it seasoned thus causing me to stop getting trucks of wood delivered thus affecting my overall output for the yea. I also know all this because any good business man knows every little detail of his operation. Knowing the details when you are running your own business is the difference of making just making a living and living it up.

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,lol. So your not cutting in the woods, your having logs brought to you, are you buying those logs and then sawing them up and then selling firewood out of them?

Yes

yes iam getting the logs from a local land clearing company. They drop the logs off in the back yard. I do have to pay for them but after i buck the logs and split them it is still a good little profit. Also it may sound crazy but i like the work its my therapy. I got a new splitter this year and now the slow part is my saw. Iam running a stihl 036 pro with a 20'' bar and 3/8 square tooth chain and looking to upgrade.

nothing like asking an opened ended question, huh. Assuming you are going to leave them stock.....

The 044 and 046 or they are now 440 and 460 would be great, 460 had more ass, but weighs a little more. The 044/440 is a nice saw for the weight.

A husky 372 or Jred 2171------> same saw people, get over it, would be a wise choice to. I love my 372's.

A husky 357xp or 359 would be ok, it you like underpowered stuff.

A dolmar 7900 would be a wise move also. I don't own one of these yet, but I want one.

We are all ford and chevy here. I own 3 huskys, 1 jred, 3 stihls, a couple small dolmars and a ton of other saws. I am not biased. If they run, they run.

Biggest thing is your dealer for support, and what kind of weight you want to sling around while you are cutting. Only you can answer this, and only you can prevent forrest fires!

now if you are talking modded saws....it is a whole nother ball game...:laugh:

sloth9669 said:
yes iam getting the logs from a local land clearing company. They drop the logs off in the back yard. I do have to pay for them but after i buck the logs and split them it is still a good little profit. Also it may sound crazy but i like the work its my therapy. I got a new splitter this year and now the slow part is my saw. Iam running a stihl 036 pro with a 20'' bar and 3/8 square tooth chain and looking to upgrade.

Ok excuse me, I do see now you are planning way in advance, cool, smart move. As for what saw to buy this you didn't plan for.Your going to get a ton of replies and probly walk away tonite still wondering what saw do I buy. If I were you I wouldn't even ask, I'd go to several different saw dealers and pick up saws and feel them all out. As for me if all I was doing is blocking up those logs, no limbing or anything else I'd grab me a 460 and have a blast. Thats me however, I like Stihl and thats the one I would go with for what your doing. No Husky man is going to agree or Dolmar man or other brand user. They too all have their favorite brands and models for what your describing. That being the facts every saw brand recommended to you tonite will do what your asking. That leaves you where you started. So go pick up some saws,feel them out, get the specs on them and then you can decide which one you like the best...

You are a Stihl guy, I prefer Husky but the 460 is a good saw, get it, I use a 371XP for firewood, good compromise between power and weight. If I had a firewood bus. though I would get a 395XP, but I can use a big saw all day long. So 460 for you.

I prefer at least 2 saws get a smaller saw like a 346xp then the other saw others are saying......dont know about you but i dont want to use a 460 all day.

Solo 694! It's big, heavy, uses lots of gas and has no compression release! Despite these drawbacks it's awesome. I love mine. If your aren't in shape you will be! 2 year commercial warranty. Get a big sprocket and a short bar and look out. 694's cut crazy fast! You'll be able to cut more in less time.

I think the answer at least partly depends on if you are keeping the 036, and if it still is in good shape, for everyday use on the smaller of your logs. Putting a shorter bar, like a 16", on it should improve its performance some.

For the amount of cutting you are planning to do, I wouldn't want to have just one saw anyway........

SouthernLA said:
... Get a big sprocket and a short bar and look out. 694's cut crazy fast! You'll be able to cut more in less time.
I like your idea, except for the choise of saw - my understanding is that both the MS660 and the 395xp are better performers and better designed saws.....

Last edited:
I would get a shindaiwa 757 with a 24" bar 3/8 chisel chain. great power to weight ratio. easy to start and great balance. fire it up and leter rip and get ready to give your stihl and husky buddies some real good ribbing:chainsaw:

Back