Recommend me a SAW !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl 361 20" for limbing and small logs (get anti-vibration features).
Stihl 460 28" for the heavy work.

Whatever you choose . . .
Buy a few extra air cleaners and change them often.
Use a good quality premix and bar oil.
Learn how to sharpen your chains and do it often don't wait until the chain is dull and you're burning the bars.

Also if you're planning on 50 to 100 cords, you'd better have a heavy duty splitter. I'd use a TimberWolf with the multiple wedge head.

OR just shoot for the stars and buy a firewood processor, splitter and saw combined.

THanx

Thanks all of you for all the input you have given me....more input is always welcome and will take all that you have said into consideration when buying my new toy...next up would be what type of splitter..i now own a smaller timber wolf and know i will need to upgrade that as well to meet the new demand...........

Any 90cc+ saw you can afford and get good dependable service and parts for. Run 9 pin .325 sprocket or 8 pin 3/8. Get a 20 inch bar with a tall profile. Use semi-chisel or chipper chain. Buy branded bar oil and turn the oiler up. The brand of saw is not as important as the user.
I cannot speak for brand new saws but I really like my 2095 Jonsered's and my 066 Stihls. As I do not think Jonsered makes a big enough saw anymore, I would choose the Stihl 660 or Husky 395. I have not run the new Dolmar big saw yet, I would really like to.
Buy some PPE, it is more important than your saw.:)
Good luck. Cutting wood is my therapy as well.

sloth9669.

I cut logs in the same size range for my wood stove. I use a MS 460, 25" bar, with a Max-Flow air filter and a modified muffler. It cuts like crazy. Please do as a lot of others have suggested. Go to different dealers and pick up the saws and get a feel for them. This is the best way to make your decision.

Hope this helps.

David

sloth9669 said:
Thanks all of you for all the input you have given me....more input is always welcome and will take all that you have said into consideration when buying my new toy...next up would be what type of splitter..i now own a smaller timber wolf and know i will need to upgrade that as well to meet the new demand...........

460 if you are going Stihl. Husky 372xp is my firewood saw of choice unless everyhting is under 12" then I grab a 346.

What size timberwolf do you have? I have a TW-5 w/ 4 and 6 way wedges. Cycle time is important, more important than tonnage, especially in the size logs you described. For production sake, a conveyor is a necessary expense unless you like to spend a lot more time handling wood.

sloth9669 said:
but after i buck the logs and split them it is still a good little profit. Also it may sound crazy but i like the work its my therapy. I got a new splitter this

I thought this was your business, Mr. Businessman?

R Walter said:
I thought this was your business, Mr. Businessman?
Perhaps letting one's business let be one's business is the best way to approach an answer to this post. As stated previously everyone will have an opinion. Now...I give the poster (customer, neighbor, family member, politician, lawyer...strike last two) the benefit of the doubt, until proved they are not worthy. This is the basis for all social and business intercourse. Unless we have a basic trust in our fellows, things (society and economy) will fall apart. That is why we have laws, lawyers and courts. I do appreciate serious and humorous responses to posted questions, but not graffiti.

16gauge said:
Perhaps letting one's business let be one's business is the best way to approach an answer to this post. As stated previously everyone

Yeah, you're right. Long day. Internet at times must be remembered as a comic strip. My apologies.

Jonsered 2171 with muffler Mod, 20 t0 24" bar, chisel chain, stay out of the dirt, and you are off to the races.
Oh yeah, Wait for the big bore kits that are coming soon for the Huskys and Jonsereds.

recommend a saw or shut it

To anyone who gave there honest opinion thank you..and to the dumb people who just feel the need to scum up every topic and every single page or thread on the internet just keep the yap shut you will find the world alot more enjoyable.

Back