reindeer games

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had no intentions of slamming anyone. Tapping the file peens the very tips of the teeth and they break or round over. It's worse than rubbing on the back stroke.

Files shouldn't be stored in drawers either. It's "machine shop 101" and the best practice.

Do what you want.

I will. As it works, and works well.

I don't know who said what about file storage. I keep them in the save edge paper sheath until I need them.

Tapping them a couple of times lightly in a video will not peen the file. If that were the case, the files edges would break off when you used them in any direction. As I have said previously, files are made of W2 steel - you would know this if you worked with metals as long as I have. They are quite strong. It takes more rough handling than was shown in that video to peen a file. While your message makes sense if I were to abuse the file, it has little meaning in the context of the video. The camera is 6 inches away from the bar, so it makes the sound quite a bit louder than you would normally expect in person. I do not know what your experience is, but I have been filing saws for decades, making knives for years, and I'll tell you right now my files last a good long time, and I am very good with them. I have also shown in my videos the results of my sharpening and file usage. I haven't seen anything of the type from the commentators...

Again, why bother showing stuff on the internet. It simply is not worth it.

I have to agree Wes. Publicly accessible videos on the internet do draw the crabs. I've hung in there but many times I've thought about blocking all comments and making the links private.

And we're supposed to believe that's hard Aussie wood and not sawdust from your poor sharpening technique...

I bet you've gotten dozens of those comments, if not hundreds.

I've made the videos private on my vimeo account. They were originally for some friends that wanted to know how I did it.

Thanks for the support of those that know me. Yes, I am a redneck, and I have spent years sawing in the woods in Washington and Oregon.

I'll just say one more thing. The 444SE I put up won first place in the last PNW GTG with my chain. When Overdose can say he has a first place GTG saw, anywhere, let alone the PNW, then he can come up to me and tell me how to file. Until then, he's on ignore, and the others I will just simply not bother responding to.

Putting videos up on the internet is such a ridiculous process nowadays. You have armchair idiots that immediately start tearing it apart, or just plainly make rude comments. I can see how Randy occasionally just fumes and claims he's gonna give it up entirely. I don't blame him. It's not worth the hassle. So, yeah - those vids are on my private vimeo account now.

Here's the last bowie knife I made - it was for my brother. When I moved to Ireland, I retired form knife making:

That thing took nearly two weeks to make. I just don't have that sort of patience any more. And you just do not make much money doing it. But, basically, don't tell this man how to use a file. He's quite good at it.

This man is now semi retired, and works as the Woodsman on the De La Poer Estate in Waterford. This is the image I recently uploaded to my forestry thread. All the forest you see in the background belongs to the estate, and is managed by me. This is Beech, which isn't easy on chains, and the chain was plenty sharp long after I had this tree on the ground.

Beautiful knife buddy. That thing almost makes me want to stop my CAD onset and start with knife collecting.

Kind of jealous you're living in Ireland. Visited on my honeymoon back in '07. Flew into Shannon and drove around the southern part to end up in Dublin. Went to the Waterford Crystal place. Awesome trip. Even met Irish dude from the north with my last name. I want to visit again in the near future.

On another note, why is this Brush Ape guy so notorious? I have to figure out how to search by username.

He seems to alternate between funny and likeable to being a complete ******** with a mean streak

Sounds bi-polar.

Anyway, this thread taught me something at least. I need to read through Philbert's and mdavlee's posts to perfect my filing technique. I only hand file with an Orgeon guide. Chain seems to cut great but I have no way to figure out if I'm doing it right or how much better it could be. In a way I kind of like all the variables then at times I wish it was idiot proof. I'm a huge idiot with tons of questions as evidenced by my post count.

Reactions: wyk
Beautiful knife buddy. That thing almost makes me want to stop my CAD onset and start with knife collecting.

Kind of jealous you're living in Ireland. Visited on my honeymoon back in '07. Flew into Shannon and drove around the southern part to end up in Dublin. Went to the Waterford Crystal place. Awesome trip. Even met Irish dude from the north with my last name. I want to visit again in the near future.

On another note, why is this Brush Ape guy so notorious? I have to figure out how to search by username.

Then prepare to be even more jealous. Here are some photos from the estate I took. When I was in high school, I studied a bit of photography, and have been an avid photographer ever since,

158205205.PMOXvz4y.jpg

158205207.rv9kUJ3v.jpg

158471534.WkQ89hBt.jpg

158471543.IvuL3sfM.jpg

158665984.RNhE8z1J.jpg

158665940.uYoZ5oWf.jpg

Feel free to criticize any of my photos if you like. Yes, the last one would have been better as an HDR.

Then prepare to be even more jealous. Here are some photos from the estate I took. When I was in high school, I studied a bit of photography, and have been an avid photographer ever since,

158205205.PMOXvz4y.jpg

158205207.rv9kUJ3v.jpg

158471534.WkQ89hBt.jpg

158471543.IvuL3sfM.jpg

158665984.RNhE8z1J.jpg

158665940.uYoZ5oWf.jpg

Feel free to criticize any of my photos if you like. Yes, the last one would have been better as an HDR.

Nice! So you bought an estate? Disregard that question if it's too stupid lol. I grew up in Hawaii. Never heard of estates until I moved to the "mainland".

Second pic is my favorite. Kind of the stereotypical Ireland that I had in mind when I went. Third pic, the pigs look fake.

Nice! So you bought an estate? Disregard that question if it's too stupid lol. I grew up in Hawaii. Never heard of estates until I moved to the "mainland".

Second pic is my favorite. Kind of the stereotypical Ireland that I had in mind when I went. Third pic, the pigs look fake.

That estate is hundreds of years old. I am just the woodsman. A commoner. ;)

Those pigs are incredibly huge. I actually give them a lot of respect. I had one snatch a feed bucket from me. All I had on me at the time was a small brush for some reason. I had to beat it like I was trying to break open a turtle in order to get it back. It's like they feel no pain. If that thing turned on me, I would have been in real trouble. They stand about 4' tall. They actually are a lot like dogs. Very smart, and cause a lot of trouble.

Well I'll tell y'all, not one of us files properly! Back in 1973 more or less I went to a vo-tech and one of the first things taught in machine shop was how to file. I don't remember details but for starters a file never touched metal without chalk on it. Wonder how much file chalk is sold these days? Secondly a file was cleaned after every stroke and rechalked if necessary. It never touched metal other than the metal it was cutting. Needless to say, you put pressure on the teeth only in the direction of the cut and lifted completely off of the material during the reverse motion. A lot more about angles and pressure and such but I've slept a lot of times since then!

I do have files in good shape I have used over ten years, and I have files I wear out fairly quickly. I can file to a tiny fraction of a thousandth of an inch and I can sharpen chains and butcher knives with a file. Criminal to some butcher knives, perfect for the Old Hickory high carbon black iron blades that are used and abused. Old Hickory knives are perfect for work knives and I have worn out over a dozen boning knives. Still have a few laying around for shop knives. When you use them cutting things that require you sharpening every ten or fifteen minutes in the field there is no time for niceties and a file is the sharpener of choice.

We all abuse files according to "best practices", most knowing full well we could treat them better. I clean my saw file after every tooth and lift completely off on the backstroke. If I take more than a few strokes on a tooth I will clean mid-tooth. Chalk, a light oil, or graphite would no doubt prolong the life of my saw files. Somewhere speed and convenience meets up with file life and cost. That can be a little different spot for all of us!

Hu

That estate is hundreds of years old. I am just the woodsman. A commoner. ;)

Those pigs are incredibly huge. I actually give them a lot of respect. I had one snatch a feed bucket from me. All I had on me at the time was a small brush for some reason. I had to beat it like I was trying to break open a turtle in order to get it back. It's like they feel no pain. If that thing turned on me, I would have been in real trouble. They stand about 4' tall. They actually are a lot like dogs. Very smart, and cause a lot of trouble.

I want to be a woodsman commoner too!

They look like massive pig mutations. Think I've been watching too many crappy animated dinosaur movies with my boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back