Reliability: Husky vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did a 5 day stay-out job, 3 of us pruning overdue pines, twisted mongrel trees with huge branches. One 020, one 200 and one 335. 200 vibrated an engine mount out of action and played up running rich and generally being a bastard. 020's oiler crapped out and refused to oil. Can't be bothered stripping and fixing goddam saws in the field on a stay-out anymore, so long as they're still running that is, and can't be bothered pissing round with them at the end of the day either, when it's beer and relax and f**k the chainsaws. Just ran the bich with a loose chain for 2 days instead. 335 ran without a single hiccup all week and did more trees than the stihls combined. He-he, tick one to the husky for no-hassle reliability.. again.. :)

ive ran husky & reliability was the problem.......I am far more abusive to my stihls than I ever was to my Husky`s, ive dropped my 020

I might check out Dolmar for my next purchase...we`ll see!!

LXT................

+1, My Husky 55 dropped little more then 2' onto a plastic p/u bed liner and it broke the chainbrake and bar cover. Bought 2 new husky and 1 used in my career, consistant problems. 1 new stihl and very many used with little problems. 1 guy I was working with dropped an 066 about 15 feet up blocking down a big oak , and it bent the compression release button a bit but it didn't hurt any thing else and kept going. That same guy tried 2 huskies in his business and they stayed with him little more then a year if that and he went back to all stihl. 2 of 3 businesses that handled husky within 40 mile of here gave them up, reason being they couldn't keep up servicing them so I was told by 1 owner and heard of the other. I don't think their as bad as I may make it sound, my experiance may be somewhat exceptional, but I trust stihl 10 to 1 over husky as far as reliability based on my experiance.

Stop

Just did a 5 day stay-out job, 3 of us pruning overdue pines, twisted mongrel trees with huge branches. One 020, one 200 and one 335. 200 vibrated an engine mount out of action and played up running rich and generally being a bastard. 020's oiler crapped out and refused to oil. Can't be bothered stripping and fixing goddam saws in the field on a stay-out anymore, so long as they're still running that is, and can't be bothered pissing round with them at the end of the day either, when it's beer and relax and f**k the chainsaws. Just ran the bich with a loose chain for 2 days instead. 335 ran without a single hiccup all week and did more trees than the stihls combined. He-he, tick one to the husky for no-hassle reliability.. again.. :)

Look at what you just did dude. What were the ages of all the saws??? That's the big question. I've got an 020 that still cuts wood every fall for 3 or 4 months then goes back till the next fall... 30 yrs at 3 months a year is still nearly 10 yrs at almost every day use. I've never had a single problem with my 020 either... Kill switch died, but I just use the choke to stop it. As far as how they are built... Think of this, Stihl is Stihl the only mfg. that uses ALL metal parts on their pro saws. The clutch covers, starter covers are mag, whereas everyone else has gone to plastic. Plastic will NEVER be as strong as mag, I don't care what country your from dude... Must be that whole crumplezone thing like on cars eh? hehehehehehehehehe

:laugh: :jester:

A HUSKY WILL NEVER OUT RUN A STIHL FOR LONGEVITY!!!

Last edited:
Look at what you just did dude. What were the ages of all the saws??? That's the big question. I've got an 020 that still cuts wood every fall for 3 or 4 months then goes back till the next fall... 30 yrs at 3 months a year is still nearly 10 yrs at almost every day use. I've never had a single problem with my 020 either... Kill switch died, but I just use the choke to stop it. As far as how they are built... Think of this, Stihl is Stihl the only mfg. that uses ALL metal parts on their pro saws. The clutch covers, starter covers are mag, whereas everyone else has gone to plastic. Plastic will NEVER be as strong as mag, I don't care what country your from dude... Must be that whole crumplezone thing like on cars eh? hehehehehehehehehe

Oh yeah!? Well if Stihl is so good, why are they orange and white? Huh? Take that! :)

Well with either husky or stihl it pays not to drop them and let them roll down hillsides, once they're bouncing they must be hittin' about 55 mph and fast accelerating, it's when they're richocheting off rocks and trees at that speed that things start to break, you'll usually be able to find the husky after those sort of mis-haps coz they'll still be down the bottom, idling fine, just follow the sound. The stihl's are gonna take a bit more tracking down, but mind you, a stihl usually leaves a good trail of broken pieces to follow..

Hmmmmmm

That is a good question mule... However, I am glad they ain't yella though eh?

:jester: heheheheheheheh

Stihl

Well with either husky or stihl it pays not to drop them and let them roll down hillsides, once they're bouncing they must be hittin' about 55 mph and fast accelerating, it's when they're richocheting off rocks and trees at that speed that things start to break, you'll usually be able to find the husky after those sort of mis-haps coz they'll still be down the bottom, idling fine, just follow the sound. The stihl's are gonna take a bit more tracking down, but mind you, a stihl usually leaves a good trail of broken pieces to follow..

My 041AV Farmboss held up to my little puke brother's Ford ranger with only a broken choke lever. That was the front end of the ranger, not the light little bed... Inside of a few min I was back out cuttin with it, I just had to use a pr of pliers to open/close the choke, it's still runnin' like that to this day...

:clap:

My 041AV Farmboss held up to my little puke brother's Ford ranger with only a broken choke lever. That was the front end of the ranger, not the light little bed... Inside of a few min I was back out cuttin with it, I just had to use a pr of pliers to open/close the choke, it's still runnin' like that to this day...

Now see, if you were a Husky guy making an argument like this (think air filters), the Stihl guys would be jumping up and down hollering "This test doesn't prove squat. When was the last time you had a truck run over your saw while you were cutting wood? It takes a lot more to show reliability than being ran over by a truck! Heck, my Stihl dealer cuts me a deal by charging retail price and giving me a receipt for free when I buy a saw. They must be more durable!" :) :popcorn:

Omg

Now see, if you were a Husky guy making an argument like this (think air filters), the Stihl guys would be jumping up and down hollering "This test doesn't prove squat. When was the last time you had a truck run over your saw while you were cutting wood? It takes a lot more to show reliability than being ran over by a truck! Heck, my Stihl dealer cuts me a deal by charging retail price and giving me a receipt for free when I buy a saw. They must be more durable!" :) :popcorn:

Dude, the sad thing is I think your right. If you saw that King of the Hill a couple weeks ago where that dude was selling Hank those cars at not 1 penny over the sticker price... heheheheheheheheheheeee

:laugh: :jawdrop:

That is a good question mule... However, I am glad they ain't yella though eh?

:jester: heheheheheheheh

Nothing to do with this subject, I was checking out your pics of hiking trips you have gone on in the Adirondacks. I was wondering, have you ever climbed Lyon Mountain up by Dannemora? One heck of a view from up there, you can see Lake Champlain on a clear day and also the Montreal skyline.

As far as how they are built... Think of this, Stihl is Stihl the only mfg. that uses ALL metal parts on their pro saws. The clutch covers, starter covers are mag, whereas everyone else has gone to plastic. Plastic will NEVER be as strong as mag, I don't care what country your from dude... Must be that whole crumplezone thing like on cars eh? hehehehehehehehehe

still no one's got a comeback for this... is that cos there isn't a logical one?

Also, as far as quicker cuts go, isn't this a bad thing for longevity/reliability. It's a general rule, certainly with cars/trucks (so this can be extended to all IC engines, maybe even all heat engines, in fact everything!), the more power you squeeze out of a given engine displacement, the shorter they live...

so maybe you coud say (engine life) = 1/(power per cc)

I'm not saying Stihl are slower, but have heard it conceded by Stihlheads. Also, surely this isn't the only factor for a pro looking for a good saw?

+ 1, my uncles 023 took my landcruiser's rear end in its tride! Apart from needing a clothes peg spring as cut off switch, oh and a near top cover...

Also, as far as quicker cuts go, isn't this a bad thing for longevity/reliability. It's a general rule, certainly with cars/trucks (so this can be extended to all IC engines, maybe even all heat engines, in fact everything!), the more power you squeeze out of a given engine displacement, the shorter they live...

Tell that to Honda.

Tell that to Honda.

I'm not saying you can't have small, powerful, reliable engine. But if it was larger for the same power, it should in theory last longer. By last I mean less bore/piston/ring/bearing ware/fatigue.

But the Japanese are the masters of reliability...

Last edited:
All that I know is that I am running a 028 AV Super that my dad bought new back in the early eighties. That saw runs like a champ and has never been rebuilt... Not too many other 25+ year old equipment around that I see....:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Jeremy

All that I know is that I am running a 028 AV Super that my dad bought new back in the early eighties. That saw runs like a champ and has never been rebuilt... Not too many other 25+ year old equipment around that I see....:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Jeremy

Stihl have an 032 bought new in 78 by my dad never been in the shop, an 056 super swapped out the ignition runs great.

Most of these are just personal opinions??? What does that mean??? I mean has anybody ever really put two saws to the test, a Husky and Stihl comparable model's, like a side by side comparison over like a 5 year test??? To actually see longevity??? Using all the same variables for the two saws, same gas, same oil, same bar's and chains, same guy maintaining & sharpening them??? So how do you really know for 100% certainty, that Stihl will outlast a Husky. I believe that not one is really better then the other, they both will last a long time given they are both treated correctly. There is just simply too many variables between different people running them and different running conditions.

I know this dispute will never end EVER!! People just like to have something to dispute. I'm sure I've been guilty of it as well. It will never end until the day when either Stihl or Husky is no longer. Some times its just annoying hearing usless reasons why one is better then the other!

ran stihl they had cronic problems . bolts always vibrate looses or broke off .maybe if they used left handed treads. they be a good saw .reliabilty husky is a far superior saw . I,am not flaming a product just my experence.

ran stihl they had cronic problems . bolts always vibrate looses or broke off .maybe if they used left handed treads. they be a good saw .reliabilty husky is a far superior saw . I,am not flaming a product just my experence.

See this is exactly my point?? I ve see almost the exact same thing said about Husky, if not word for word.

Back