Repair handle anti vibe parts on Stihl 012av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balhincher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just joined forum so I hope this in right place.
I have an old Stihl 012 AV 16" saw that has served with distinction for many years. Approaching 40 years I believe.
It still runs great and cuts all out of proportion for its size...or did. I stupidly set it down after gassing up then decided to move my Ranger and backed over it. The loop top handle broke off near the mount. The handle was some kind of composite not metal and not designed to be run over. I called around and was told the handle wasn't available. Not giving up just yet I located a handle on eBay and ordered it. The salvaged handle was made of metal but seemed to match up with mounts on the saw and was soon bolted in place. Or so I thought. The first time I tried to use the saw the handle pulled loose at the top mount and the rubber bushing was torn in two.
It looks like I need to replace the rubber bushing mounts but it isn't obvious to me exactly how to proceed. I have some history of taking things apart and not being able to get them back together. So I'm a bit reluctant to just dive in
There appears to be a lot of expertise with this forum's members and am hoping some of you will tell me what to do and how to do it. My old owners manual doesn't have an exploded view of the parts nor any advice about repairing handle mounts.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

You should be able to push out the old bushing. Can you post a picture?
Here are photos of the top rubber mount for the loop handle and the bottom handle mount bushing. Note the metal washer from the rubber bushing has been torn loose and is shown with the handle bolt. The upper rubber bushing needs to be replaced obviously but I'm not sure if the mount for the bottom handle mount is also defective. I lost don't know how to get the old torn rubber bushing out and a new one installed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 16
Here are photos of the top rubber mount for the loop handle and the bottom handle mount bushing. Note the metal washer from the rubber bushing has been torn loose and is shown with the handle bolt. The upper rubber bushing needs to be replaced obviously but I'm not sure if the mount for the bottom handle mount is also defective. I lost don't know how to get the old torn rubber bushing out and a new one installed.
Also the rear handle seems to have a second recess that may take a second rubber bushing. I'd like to find an exploded parts drawing for this saw but haven't found a source

Ray B.,
Thank you for sending the manual with all the exploded drawings of my 012AV saw. It will help me figure out how to get the handle reattached and hopefully return the old girl to cutting.
I see you too are a Hoosier. I live in West Lafayette but have some woods a bit south of Crawfordsville.
Do you have this saw?

Ray B.,
Thank you for sending the manual with all the exploded drawings of my 012AV saw. It will help me figure out how to get the handle reattached and hopefully return the old girl to cutting.
I see you too are a Hoosier. I live in West Lafayette but have some woods a bit south of Crawfordsville.
Do you have this saw?
I am in NW Indiana and do not have the 012av . But any saw manuals you need just ask.

Just joined forum so I hope this in right place.
I have an old Stihl 012 AV 16" saw that has served with distinction for many years. Approaching 40 years I believe.
It still runs great and cuts all out of proportion for its size...or did. I stupidly set it down after gassing up then decided to move my Ranger and backed over it. The loop top handle broke off near the mount. The handle was some kind of composite not metal and not designed to be run over. I called around and was told the handle wasn't available. Not giving up just yet I located a handle on eBay and ordered it. The salvaged handle was made of metal but seemed to match up with mounts on the saw and was soon bolted in place. Or so I thought. The first time I tried to use the saw the handle pulled loose at the top mount and the rubber bushing was torn in two.
It looks like I need to replace the rubber bushing mounts but it isn't obvious to me exactly how to proceed. I have some history of taking things apart and not being able to get them back together. So I'm a bit reluctant to just dive in
There appears to be a lot of expertise with this forum's members and am hoping some of you will tell me what to do and how to do it. My old owners manual doesn't have an exploded view of the parts nor any advice about repairing handle mounts.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Can you thread the old one out?
i ordered a replacement rubber bushing but haven't tried to remove the old one yet. Hope I can figure out how to get it off and mount the new one

i ordered a replacement rubber bushing but haven't tried to remove the old one yet. Hope I can figure out how to get it off and mount the new one
There is a metal plate glued on to the rubber, sometimes you have to use a needle nose vice grips to clamp on to that and unthread it, or the mount by the carb has a nut inside the case next to the carb.

There is a metal plate glued on to the rubber, sometimes you have to use a needle nose vice grips to clamp on to that and unthread it, or the mount by the carb has a nut inside the case next to the carb.
KMSwr,
The photos I posted of my 012 AV above show the metal plate you mention is already torn loose from the rubber bushing. I have a new rubber bushing ordered and its picture shows a steel plate or washer arrached to it. I have not attempted to remove the old rubber mount from the saw body because I don't know how it is attached and how I should proceed to remove it. Your comment above seems to be saying that the rubber mount can be removed by turning it to unthread it from a threaded stud. Am I interpreting that correctly? I apologize for being confused but I'm no mechanic and have never worked on this or any saw before just relying on a Stihl shop to keep it running. My dealer however said they couldn't get parts to repair it this time and I'm just trying to fix it myself. As I mentioned the old saw runs great and cuts as well as ever and I hate to retire it. I really appreciate everyone who has taken time to give me tips about how to proceed. I need all the help I can get!

KMSwr,
The photos I posted of my 012 AV above show the metal plate you mention is already torn loose from the rubber bushing. I have a new rubber bushing ordered and its picture shows a steel plate or washer arrached to it. I have not attempted to remove the old rubber mount from the saw body because I don't know how it is attached and how I should proceed to remove it. Your comment above seems to be saying that the rubber mount can be removed by turning it to unthread it from a threaded stud. Am I interpreting that correctly? I apologize for being confused but I'm no mechanic and have never worked on this or any saw before just relying on a Stihl shop to keep it running. My dealer however said they couldn't get parts to repair it this time and I'm just trying to fix it myself. As I mentioned the old saw runs great and cuts as well as ever and I hate to retire it. I really appreciate everyone who has taken time to give me tips about how to proceed. I need all the help I can get!
The top mount is accessed by removing the choke cover assy, then there is a nut that secures the mount.So you might have to use a needle nose to turn the other plate that is against the saw case and hold the nut inside. I would try another dealer for the parts and or have them order the mount, I recently got some so I'm sure they are still available. Ive seen them on ebay but prefer a dealer.

The top mount is accessed by removing the choke cover assy, then there is a nut that secures the mount.So you might have to use a needle nose to turn the other plate that is against the saw case and hold the nut inside. I would try another dealer for the parts and or have them order the mount, I recently got some so I'm sure they are still available. Ive seen them on ebay but prefer a dealer.
Thanks again for your help

Back